Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Anyone in Como??? ..... please !!!!

Anyone in Como??? ..... please !!!!

Old Feb 6th 2009, 1:46 pm
Forum Regular

MissSP is on a distinguished road
Default Anyone in Como??? ..... please !!!!

Hi All

Is there anyone out there in Como area. Moved here in December and have yet to meet anyone either English or ex-pat and am going crazy!

Furiously looking for jobs but would just love to meet someone for a coffee or glass of vino to get out of the house for a bit!

I'm sat here with my fingers crossed! There must be somebody out there!

Sarah
Old Feb 6th 2009, 2:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

LivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Anyone in Como??? ..... please !!!!

Hi

I'm in Varese. I know that its not that close but there is a huge expat community here. What work are you looking for?
Old Feb 6th 2009, 3:23 pm
Forum Regular

Hi,

Wasn't aware there was a big community in Varese, and I don't think it's that far away, is it? Still getting my bearings to be honest. OK, I've checked on Google earth and it's 30km so not far at all.

As for work, I'd take anything at the moment to be honest. I was working in a senior position for a sports car company in the UK, but gave it all up in December to move out here. Was thinking I would enjoy a bit of life in the slower lane for a bit, but after two weeks I'd decided I needed to go out and get a job. Without kids life at home is a touch on the quiet side for me.

Any job-hunting tips here?

Thanks

Sarah
Old Feb 6th 2009, 6:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

LivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the rough

Have a look at this link

http://www.benvenutovarese.org/

I know that 30km isn't far, but it can take an hour...
Old Feb 7th 2009, 2:56 pm
Just Joined

Midsomer_Peter is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MissSP
Hi All

Is there anyone out there in Como area. Moved here in December and have yet to meet anyone either English or ex-pat and am going crazy!

Furiously looking for jobs but would just love to meet someone for a coffee or glass of vino to get out of the house for a bit!

I'm sat here with my fingers crossed! There must be somebody out there!

Sarah
Hello, I am very English and live in Lecco area, I'd be up for popping over to Como for a coffee and a chat. I need to drop into the Tourist info there anway to find out what date the Carnevale is on this year, since my brother, sister-in-law and niece are coming to stay with me in a couple of weeks.

Pete
Old Mar 6th 2009, 1:07 am
Just Joined

Babsey is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there!!
I totally understand how you must be going crazy - I moved to Canada 6 years ago and for 2 years I did not meet one other fellow Brit and it made me climb the walls! So now I am moving to Italy I taking all precautions in that dept!!
I will be moving to Lago Maggiore in May - not too far from Como - I would love to meet up with you for a drink sometime :-)
Shelley
Old Mar 6th 2009, 7:09 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Babsey
Hi there!!
I totally understand how you must be going crazy - I moved to Canada 6 years ago and for 2 years I did not meet one other fellow Brit and it made me climb the walls! So now I am moving to Italy I taking all precautions in that dept!!
I will be moving to Lago Maggiore in May - not too far from Como - I would love to meet up with you for a drink sometime :-)
Shelley

Hi Babsey,

Thanks for your response. I've only just logged back onto here as I'd almost given up hope of any Brits/expats around Como. Since my last post, however, I've met Sally, a fellow Brit, via Facebook and we met up a few weeks ago, and are out for a pizza tonight with another lady who lives between Bergamo and Como. Things are on a roll by the looks of things, so was good to also get your message.

Lago Maggiore is not that far away really, so would love to meet up for a drink and you are most welcome to our Como Coffee Club which I will be launching as of today!! The concept and planning was originally put together by Carole B (fellow blogger on here), but she's asked if I will coordinate as she's not feeling 100% at the moment. I'm about to post the details in a minute, but hopefully if it takes off we will be meeting every month or so on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon to relax and catch up. Hopefully you will be able to join us!!

When do you arrive in May? Do you need a hand with anything?

Best wishes

Sarah
Old Mar 26th 2009, 1:23 am
Just Joined

Babsey is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Sarah,

Gosh I am terrible taking this long to reply - you know how it is when your mind is elsewhere! I have been busy completing a TESL/TEFEL course as this is going to be my new career, next week I will do some First Aid trainning so I will be ready to Rock and roll!
I would love to pop over to Como for a coffee - gives me an excuse to find the Etro outlet ;-) I will be moving the first week in May and I am so excited...thanks for getting back to me

Shelley
Old Apr 5th 2009, 9:59 am
Just Joined

jazzygirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi I am American but joined because I just want to meet people who speak English. I am in Brunate which is one of the towns above Como. I would love to meet up for a drink or a coffee sometime. Let me know...please cause I am going slightly crazy too.
Old Apr 6th 2009, 7:19 pm
Just Joined

Andrea83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I've read that there are a lot of Brits in Varese, i'm an italian guy living in Varese and I'm looking for an English mother tongue to have conversation in order to improve my English. Do you perhaps know someone who may be interested in this?
Thanks
Andrea
Old Apr 14th 2009, 7:47 am
Forum Regular

Hi Jazzygirl

I've sent you a PM but I'm not sure if you can access. Anyway, would love to meet up for a drink. Drop me a line to [email protected].

I'm around this week.

regards

Sarah P
Old Apr 14th 2009, 2:01 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MissSP
Hi Jazzygirl

I've sent you a PM but I'm not sure if you can access. Anyway, would love to meet up for a drink. Drop me a line to [email protected].

I'm around this week.

regards

Sarah P
People can only receive and send PM's after they have made 3 posts on the forum ..... so Jazzygirl won't get hers.

If people have accepted the "receive email" option they can get emails.
Old Apr 14th 2009, 2:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of

Doesn't George Clooney live there? Haven't you bumped into him?
Old Apr 14th 2009, 6:17 pm
Forum Regular

Believe me Mark, I was hoping George could be my "new best friend" but so far our paths haven't crossed. We've both got such busy schedules!!!! (NOT!)
Old Apr 15th 2009, 6:52 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of

Ha! Thought you might bump into him in the latteria or something, or even sitting outside the local Bar Sport of a Sunday morning.