Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Anybody in a lockdown zone?

Anybody in a lockdown zone?

Old Mar 2nd 2020, 5:30 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anybody in a lockdown zone?

Went to a shopping centre, here in Verona, that has a supermarket aimed at germans. It absolutely reeked of disinfect. It was hard not to gag. Someone had obviously spent the night spraying everywhere.
Old Mar 2nd 2020, 6:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

Ryanair are cancelling 25% of their flights in Italy. At least they are giving 14 days notice. I wonder if they give a refund?
Old Mar 2nd 2020, 6:54 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by philat98
Ryanair are cancelling 25% of their flights in Italy. At least they are giving 14 days notice. I wonder if they give a refund?
Think I saw that you could ask for a refund, re-book or re-route. God knows how long it will take them to process refunds though?
Old Mar 3rd 2020, 4:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Think I saw that you could ask for a refund, re-book or re-route. God knows how long it will take them to process refunds though?
Ryanair have cancelled and refunded my flight to Vienna in April through Paypal. I am quite impressed.
Old Mar 3rd 2020, 6:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute

WoW so am I !
Old Mar 4th 2020, 8:30 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Ryanair have cancelled and refunded my flight to Vienna in April through Paypal. I am quite impressed.
Wow. I didn't think they would be so quick with refunds. April though? How long are we expecting all of this to go on for?
Old Mar 4th 2020, 8:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute

Listening to the media discussions here in the UK I’m thinking at least May/June, but they are talking about moving the Olympics… (Summer). I really don’t think they have a clue, but are banking on warmer weather having a positive impact, if only in terms of the NHS not being as busy. In that respect Italy we certainly be ahead on that score, which would be great in view of the number of deaths there in Italy.
Old Mar 4th 2020, 9:43 am
BE Forum Addict

My outdoor market was very quiet again despite only 8cases in Umbria. The hypermarket was quiet, normally stocked but sold out of handwash and disinfectants. Judging by the smell of chlorine coming from my neighbours flat Umbrian's are putting their trust in bleach.
Old Mar 6th 2020, 12:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

GeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud of

Not wishing to be alarmist but I can see this becoming the new normal for some while. I guess the warmer summer weather could help us out but until then I think it's everyone's responsibility to do what is asked of them to limit the spread. This is a disease which largely affects the weakest people in society and for which there is currently no medicinal cure. In addition, the more we can limit its spread, the longer we give ourselves for a cure to be found and, just as importantly, we can reduce the strain on hospitals. My initial reaction was along the lines of it being another seasonal flu but I've read messages from people with far more knowledge than me who say that this is definitely not the case.

No need for panic but we shouldn't trivialise it. Wash your hands!
Old Mar 6th 2020, 1:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by GeorgeYoung

No need for panic but we shouldn't trivialise it. Wash your hands!
I listened to Trump and Pence talking about the virus on Saturday afternoon. They explained very simply and clearly the threat. I wouldn't like to be working in London and travelling on packed commuter trains every day.

Last edited by philat98; Mar 6th 2020 at 2:00 pm.
Old Mar 6th 2020, 2:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

GeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud of

I listened to Trump and Pence talking about the virus on Saturday afternoon. They explained very simply and clearly the threat. I wouldn't like to be working in London and travelling on packed commuter trains every day.
I wonder what effect the 1 metre "distanza di sicurezza" will have on Italian attitude to personal space which, in my experience at least, seems to involve standing/sitting a lot closer to you than in the UK.
Old Mar 6th 2020, 3:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

There was a man on yesterdays Blob Rai3 walking around Milan with a 1m tape measure. Not so easy. There are a few comical bits about this crisis that will vanish if you wake up in the morning with a fever.
Old Mar 7th 2020, 10:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

I saw this morning on BBC world news, the Italian govt are proposing to completely seel off the whole Lombardy region and 11 other provinces including Venice and Parma.
Has anyone here heard any more about this
Old Mar 7th 2020, 11:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, as of this morning numerous friends and relatives are in the Northern Italy lockdown zone, including some of my father-in-law's staff who live in southern Piedmont and drive into Liguria each day.

Justcol - yes it is Lombardy, plus segments of other regions across Northern Italy.

Too late, as one earlier poster mentioned, one of the reason's Italy's figures are so high was because the Italians were testing everyone symptoms or no, whereas other European countries had strict criteria about who to test. I suspect cases in Germany, France etc are vastly underreported and it is spreading silently and at an accelerated rate across the EU.
Old Mar 8th 2020, 7:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Justcol
I saw this morning on BBC world news, the Italian govt are proposing to completely seel off the whole Lombardy region and 11 other provinces including Venice and Parma.
Has anyone here heard any more about this
I think it just means no non essential travel. Trains, airports and roads are all open.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.