Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Anybody in a lockdown zone?

Anybody in a lockdown zone?

Old Mar 26th 2020, 6:46 pm
Forum Regular

Woodstore is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Anybody in a lockdown zone?

Great. Edicoles use gloves to protect themselves not others. Is that selfish or what.
Old Mar 26th 2020, 7:01 pm
Just Joined

athoni is an unknown quantity at this point

Actually not true,we are all wearing disposable gloves and masks when venturing outside.
Old Mar 26th 2020, 8:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Serrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Woodstore
Great. Edicoles use gloves to protect themselves not others. Is that selfish or what.
Given that choice, it's 'what'
Old Mar 26th 2020, 8:45 pm
Forum Regular

Net are you saying the choice ‘what’ = catch the virus! That’s an irresponsible position for society. Why would you go out and expose yourself and potentially others unless it’s absolutely necessary eg food, medicine and working to protect society.

The Guardian actually states the following, so let’s get it in context, it may be low risk but it is still a risk, so handle these surfaces ONLY when it’s essential. That makes sense for the common good.

Guardian quote ‘Is there a risk of being infected by groceries and packages that we have delivered?Marcus: It’s a low risk, but it’s possible that if someone is delivering a package to your house and they are sick, that may be a route for transmission. I would recommend that any time something new comes into your household, be conscious of washing your hands after handling it.

Iwasaki: The [virus’s] stability is pretty good on the cardboard. Once you get those packages, open them, quickly throw away the cardboard, wash your hands, and try to avoid touching your face. Take any measures that you can to minimize contact from the surface of the package to your face.’
End Quote

Old Mar 26th 2020, 9:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Serrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond repute

Net are you saying the choice ‘what’ = catch the virus!
You know full well that's not what I said

That’s an irresponsible position for society. Why would you go out and expose yourself and potentially others unless it’s absolutely necessary eg food, medicine and working to protect society.

The Guardian actually states the following, so let’s get it in context, it may be low risk but it is still a risk, so handle these surfaces ONLY when it’s essential. That makes sense for the common good.

Guardian quote ‘Is there a risk of being infected by groceries and packages that we have delivered?Marcus: It’s a low risk, but it’s possible that if someone is delivering a package to your house and they are sick, that may be a route for transmission. I would recommend that any time something new comes into your household, be conscious of washing your hands after handling it.

Iwasaki: The [virus’s] stability is pretty good on the cardboard. Once you get those packages, open them, quickly throw away the cardboard, wash your hands, and try to avoid touching your face. Take any measures that you can to minimize contact from the surface of the package to your face.’
End Quote
Rather too many 'may's and 'if's in that for my liking. Everything you buy or touch (especially outside the home, or that has been outside the home) has the potential to be infected. And, with respect, for all that there will inevitably be some imperfections in the Italian state's approach, it's a damn sight more rigorous than almost any other democratic state's - yours included.
Old Mar 27th 2020, 10:01 am
Forum Regular

Thanks and apologies for any misunderstandings. I am simply trying to ensure everyone walks the talk and only ventures outside to what is essential.

Keep safe.
Old Mar 27th 2020, 1:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by athoni
There was a recent Guardian article on how long the virus will survive on surfaces. It quite clearly states that paper and cardboard is low risk,however,on receipt of any mail I always wash my hands thoroughly.
When walking my dog I have noted that all my local "edicola" vendors in my suburb of Rome wear disposable gloves.
The latest science on how long Sars Cov 2 lasts on surfaces is that on cardboard it is 24 hours.
On metal glass plastic 3 days or longer dependingon circumstances

These laboratory experiments were carried out in the US about a week and a half ago and the WHO is taking them seriously.

Last edited by Nand; Mar 27th 2020 at 1:15 pm.