British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Italy (https://britishexpats.com/forum/italy-77/)
-   -   Any way to stay more than 90 days but less than 180 in one trip?? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/italy-77/any-way-stay-more-than-90-days-but-less-than-180-one-trip-936731/)

Listen Very Carefully Jan 23rd 2021 1:34 pm

Re: Any way to stay more than 90 days but less than 180 in one trip??

Brian 12-The problem you have is self made I am afraid You have been living "below" the radar so you will have no way of showing that you were here in regola prior to Dec 31 You do not appear to have submitted your tax returns as you are required to do so Have you registered at the Commune Have you been paying your local land/housing tax? If you have done none of these things then you cannot the WA attestazione from the Commune to show that you were living here permanently so you will not be able to get the biometric card from the Questura Neither will you be able to get a PDS without first showing that you are in Italy lawfully ie you now have a Visa to allow you to remain or you have the proper paperwork and correct documentation to get the biometric card
When I first moved to Italy we had a very good estate agent who played it by the book His first words to us were "You do everything correctly from the start and it will all be a piece of cake.Try and cut corners or pull dodges and it will come back to bite you Perhaps not for a few years but bite you it will" Buona fortuna

Susiemc Jan 23rd 2021 2:02 pm

Thank you for all the helpful info and links . Can anyone recommend a good health insurance company that would provide sufficient health cover to meet the Italian/Schengen requirements for elective residency we are both 70.?

brian12 Jan 23rd 2021 2:14 pm

We are not totally under the radar.We pay IMU and the bins tax etc and have codice viscale also an Italian bank account.What I meant is that we go over the 6 months now and then.Now everything will go on the system at the borders.

jiminalpago Jan 23rd 2021 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by brian12 (Post 12963341)
We are not totally under the radar.We pay IMU and the bins tax etc and have codice viscale also an Italian bank account.What I meant is that we go over the 6 months now and then.Now everything will go on the system at the borders.

Hi Brian,
​​​​​Since the concept of "residence", as it exists in the Italian legal system for foreigners, does not exist in the UK for British citizens, the simplest course might be to change your centre of gravity: apply for permanent residence here, then you can come and go as you please.
Brexit has not made that impossible and I notice that on one important factor in the decision, health care, the question of issue of S1s after 31/12/20 has not, to my knowledge, been excluded. (Q: Anyone know of anyone who has been refused an S1 or had an S1 rejected in Italy?).
My experience leads me to believe that if you are not working or running a business the tax authority here don't chase you up; if you have a Codice Fiscale they know you exist. The difficulties you will face are the Expat perennials, to do with the car!

philat98 Jan 23rd 2021 7:26 pm

Regarding S1 health insurance for Italian residents the word "may" is used. From ukinitaly it reads as if you had to be resident in 2020 to qualify.
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/healthca...X18zyy-FkY4#s1

Geordieborn Jan 23rd 2021 7:43 pm

No, I don't think so and am inclined to go with jimi. What you have found Phil seems to confirm they have no idea what applies and are awaiting clarification on a country by country bases i.e. reciprocal agreement. A mess so to speak! Until resolved I think you/we will need private health cover.

modicasa Jan 24th 2021 6:19 am

Owning a property has no bearing on whether you have the right to residence, while it does matter if you want a PdS. If you pay IMU and TARI as a second home - then implicitly it is not your residence. TO get residence with your S1 you have to be a state pensioner. The EHIC is not enough for health insurance, so you will need another policy. Since Jan 1 the comune cannot give you residence if you have no permesso di soggiorno. Your home falls into your income if you rent it out and earn from it thereby reaching the limit necessary for the visa. If you just live in it, then it counts as the permanent address which is the requirement to get your PdS and visa. Thats the rule, how much wiggle room there is is anyone's guess.

brian12 Jan 24th 2021 7:04 am

Hi,thanks again.According to the T&Cs of this visa it seems we have to apply for residence within 8 days anyway.It looks like an unecesary expense.We have an off road car park on our complex to hide thecar,lol.If we have to buy a runaround or drive home after 6 months so be it.Anthing is better than the 90 in 180.

brian12 Jan 24th 2021 7:05 am

Originally Posted by Susiemc (Post 12963333)
Thank you for all the helpful info and links . Can anyone recommend a good health insurance company that would provide sufficient health cover to meet the Italian/Schengen requirements for elective residency we are both 70.?

Just bumping this post as I'd like the same info,TIA.

Geordieborn Jan 24th 2021 9:00 am

I suspect Brian there are no answers as the subject was covered here on the forum just recently and no one has anything to add?

Ruby2 Jan 24th 2021 9:56 am

Originally Posted by brian12 (Post 12963639)
Hi,thanks again.According to the T&Cs of this visa it seems we have to apply for residence within 8 days anyway.It looks like an unecesary expense.We have an off road car park on our complex to hide thecar,lol.If we have to buy a runaround or drive home after 6 months so be it.Anthing is better than the 90 in 180.

I don’t think you can avoid the 90 in 180 days restriction. Your passport will be stamped when you enter the Schengen zone and again when you leave and although no-one is likely to deport you on your way out of the country they might refuse you when you try to re-enter for your next visit on the grounds that you over-stayed previously. A bit of a risk to take.

brian12 Jan 24th 2021 10:58 am

No worries,cheers everyone.

jiminalpago Jan 24th 2021 11:17 am

Originally Posted by Ruby2 (Post 12963670)
I don’t think you can avoid the 90 in 180 days restriction. Your passport will be stamped when you enter the Schengen zone and again when you leave and although no-one is likely to deport you on your way out of the country they might refuse you when you try to re-enter for your next visit on the grounds that you over-stayed previously. A bit of a risk to take.

The re-entry risk is a good point (and since it doesn't apply to me I have ignored it :).
The regulations are clear but, bearing in mind the unlimited right (via PdS) to remain within the Schengen area, will the stamp at the Channel continue to be enforced? I assume that if you arrive via air directly in Italy, with a "Vademecum" or whatever, your passport won't be stamped; is that a fair assumption?

Geordieborn Jan 24th 2021 12:00 pm

As I've indicated we do have an interest in this subject. I've assumed the PdS is the only bit you have to renew every year? Does anyone know the cost and if there is a length of time you can leave the Italy before your Elective Residency visa lapses? Ideally we would rent next in Italy for 3-6 months at a time, perhaps under Brexit there might be more places to do so! Failing that our next option was amore normal 4 year contract where we would come and go as we please, hence the questions. This bit in the blog link Phil posted worries me a little....

And this Visa is meant ONLY for people who intend to come here to live for an extended time. It is not meant for extended tourism. You are only issued one of these once. If you get the Visa, and don’t actually use it to live here you probably can never get another one. You would be burning your bridges for a future in Italy.
I've not looked at the Visa calculator link yet, but it might be useful for some of us.

modicasa Jan 25th 2021 5:33 am

The rules on that havent changed I dont think. If you leave Italy for more than 6 months you lose your right to remain and/or residence - though there has been some leeway for Covid I hear.