Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Any way to stay more than 90 days but less than 180 in one trip??

Any way to stay more than 90 days but less than 180 in one trip??

Old Jan 30th 2021, 10:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any way to stay more than 90 days but less than 180 in one trip??

I’m don’t think people are trying to avoid tax, but are simply wanting to stay in Italy under Brexit rules for more than the 90/180 days, hence the subject of the post. Tax came into it, as did Elective Residency (ER) as part of a potential solution with the former (tax) being raised as an implication of the latter (ER), which to me does not seem to be the case? Regards the DTA (which is here), yes of course people should be looking at it, understanding it is another matter. Modi has said technically you should fill in a tax return, but indicated in reality most would not do so. Our experience with the Comune tax guy is that he thought the same when we were resident there. As to “saving just a few Euro”, I’m not too sure circa 1800/year is a few Euro to someone on a 13000 income? When tracking down the DTA link above I also came across this tax comparison calculator (unfortunately after my spreadsheet calc) between the UK and countries which might of use to some.
Old Jan 30th 2021, 10:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by modicasa
Casagialla - youare inscribedin AIRE so can have a prima casa in Italy and lots of other benefits- Plus you are only here 5 months a year, so technically youspend the larger part of the year abroad. You are Italian so dont need to do paperwork when you get here, You pay non resident bank charges, but now you can open an N26 account, with Italian IBAN and its free. You pay IMU (if you own a house, but for the convenience of being Italian and resident abroad, I reckon it must be worth it. Trying to prove that you are tax resident in the Uk because you live there, but would like like to be resident in Italy because you don't, is asking too much!
I would think a number of people would be interested in N26, no surprise they don't list the UK here as a country in which you can open an account. Still if you also have a house in Italy, it seems well worth a look.
Old Feb 8th 2021, 9:45 am
Forum Regular

Plan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud of

Hi. For those of you that are UK citizens but with want to visit for longer than the 90 days in 180, a petition is running on Parliament's site
Petition: Negotiate more favourable post-transition travel rules for U.K. citizens
Old Feb 8th 2021, 6:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Plan B
Hi. For those of you that are UK citizens but with want to visit for longer than the 90 days in 180, a petition is running on Parliament's site
Petition: Negotiate more favourable post-transition travel rules for U.K. citizens
Why should the EU change the rule? Many non-EU citizens have 2nd home properties. They would also be entitled to a longer stay if UK citizens get it.
Old Feb 8th 2021, 7:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute

well they wont if they are asked.
I doubt if Brits even think about other countries, and why should they?
Many Brits bought houses when UK was in the EU, an EU citizen can stay in the UK for 180 days on the trot, without needing to be either a resident nor a tax resident, so why not the other way round, especially when considerable investment has been made under a previous regime
Old Feb 8th 2021, 7:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Get citizenship. That would solve the problem.
Old Feb 8th 2021, 7:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
Get citizenship. That would solve the problem.
For 3rd country citizens you might wait up to 15years.
It is hard to imagine the UK government wasting time on the 90 in 180 day rule. Johnson, Cameron and May take their holidays in Italy so it is always possible. Workington Man wont be worried.

Last edited by philat98; Feb 8th 2021 at 7:47 pm.
Old Feb 9th 2021, 8:57 am
Forum Regular

Seldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond repute

Well I have signed and I hope others do too. I bought my house in 2006 and so I was able to enjoy it uninterrupted for upto 180 days prior to brexit. Nothing ventured nothing gained and it only takes a couple of minutes so come on everyone why not?
Old Feb 9th 2021, 1:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wellinever
Many Brits bought houses when UK was in the EU, an EU citizen can stay in the UK for 180 days on the trot, without needing to be either a resident nor a tax resident, so why not the other way round, especially when considerable investment has been made under a previous regime
EU never allowed anybody for tourist purpose more than 90 days. This is not new or because of Brexit. Britain wanted out of EU to regain their "freedom". You got it but it comes with a price tag. Why not apply for a visa if you wish to stay longer?
Old Feb 9th 2021, 1:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Seldomseenkid
Well I have signed and I hope others do too. I bought my house in 2006 and so I was able to enjoy it uninterrupted for upto 180 days prior to brexit. Nothing ventured nothing gained and it only takes a couple of minutes so come on everyone why not?
With the attitude of your representative to further negotiate with the EU I doubt the EU will give you anything.
Old Feb 9th 2021, 1:22 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

...an EU citizen can stay in the UK for 180 days on the trot, without needing to be either a resident nor a tax resident, so why not the other way round...
Because the UK makes its own rules on travel, visas and immigration, whereas Schengen member states agree a standard common policy?

If it's reciprocity you're looking for though, why not petition the UK government to shorten the maximum stay for visitors?
Old Feb 9th 2021, 2:26 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

But legally, they still needed to register for a residence card in whichever member state they were in for more than 90 days... Which I suspect many who are wanting to stay longer than 90 days now probably chose not to do, but chose to 'live under the radar' instead....

The UK left the EU because some didn't like EU rules. Now they're subject to different EU rules, they still don't like it. I have no sympathy, I knew what I voted for.
Old Feb 9th 2021, 6:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute

So what is the big deal about 90 days?? You don`t need to register for tax for 183 days.
Just because some people decided to take up residency, shouldn`t mean that others that dont want to (not just for tax reasons), should not try to get an easier way to spend more than 90 days at a time, then all this visa rubbish, especially if they have a property to go to, and have health insurance.
You can drive a car for 180 days on your UK licence without being a resident.
None of this makes any real sense to me. (as normal with anything to do with the EU)
Of course some residents may decide, later in life to return to the UK, where they will expect to avail themselves of all that the UK will offer them at that time.
Old Feb 9th 2021, 9:06 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

So what is the big deal about 90 days?? You don`t need to register for tax for 183 days.
Residency for ID purposes is not the same as tax residency. 90 days is the maximum allowed in any 180-day period for visiting, so longer than that makes one resident. And registering for tax is any 183 days in one tax year, not 183 continuous days.

Just because some people decided to take up residency, shouldn`t mean that others that dont want to (not just for tax reasons), should not try to get an easier way to spend more than 90 days at a time, then all this visa rubbish, especially if they have a property to go to, and have health insurance.
What other reasons wouldn't people want to register, as they're legally-required to do? Surely one needs to register to a local address for local doctors or other official correspondence? What are they hiding from? Sounds fishy to me, maybe by not declaring residency, they want to keep the free entitlement to NHS care that they'd legally have to pay for if out of the UK for longer than 3 months.

You can drive a car for 180 days on your UK licence without being a resident.
Different agreement.

None of this makes any real sense to me. (as normal with anything to do with the EU)
I've lived in another EU country and been required to register. The rules are simple, and mostly easy to follow. In some countries, there are people to help foreigners navigate the bureaucracy.

Everything made perfect sense to me. I suspect you're having issues because the rules aren't the same as the UK's.

Of course some residents may decide, later in life to return to the UK, where they will expect to avail themselves of all that the UK will offer them at that time.
And registering in the host EU member state would help that. It did when I returned. And there's the expectation of entitlement.
Old Feb 10th 2021, 10:34 am
BE Enthusiast

EU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond repute

From above post "expectation of entitlement", says it all!
Brexit is here, like it or not. So get used to its gifts and move on.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.