Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Any way to stay more than 90 days but less than 180 in one trip??

Any way to stay more than 90 days but less than 180 in one trip??

Old Jan 25th 2021, 6:25 am
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any way to stay more than 90 days but less than 180 in one trip??

Originally Posted by brian12
Cheers,I might bypass the visa stage and apply for residency at the commune as soon as we get back.The income requirements are a lot more lenient.40 grand is a no no,lol.Our EHIC is still valid till 2023.Would they accept that instead of ASL or private healthcare.It covers falling ill and not just emergencies.My income is only £10300 at moment and my OH will be £8000 when her state pension starts in August.Our Italian property is bought and paid for at 80000 Euro.We are not married so are hoping all this will be enough,cheers,Brian.PS we have a property in UK also bought and paid for where we "winter" at the moment.
From Portugal forum.....I have asked this very question of the British Embassy in Lisbon, no reply yet.....
Also remember that if, like me, you really just want to winter in Italy (me in Portugal), say 5 months on the trot, then driving not a problem, but if you become a resident in Portugal you have 3monhs in which you can exchange your driving licence or you cannot drive at all in Portugal....but if you exchange your UK licence then you will find it impossible to insure any car you have in the UK, as you are not a UK resident (despite owning your own property there), and without a Full UK licence !!! Nightmare either way.
Old Jan 25th 2021, 7:45 am
Forum Regular

brian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by wellinever
From Portugal forum.....I have asked this very question of the British Embassy in Lisbon, no reply yet.....
Also remember that if, like me, you really just want to winter in Italy (me in Portugal), say 5 months on the trot, then driving not a problem, but if you become a resident in Portugal you have 3monhs in which you can exchange your driving licence or you cannot drive at all in Portugal....but if you exchange your UK licence then you will find it impossible to insure any car you have in the UK, as you are not a UK resident (despite owning your own property there), and without a Full UK licence !!! Nightmare either way.
OMG,another can of worms.Can anyone here elaborate on the Italian situation.It might be the EU but every country seems to have different rules on certain things.
Old Jan 25th 2021, 7:48 am
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute

LOL.....not half..another thing happening in Portugal is that after applying for the exchange of licences, you are issued with a piece of paper that says that you are allowed to drive ONLY in Portugal until you get your official plastic licence and in some cases this is taking MONTHS !! And as you have to give them your original UK licence you dont even have a UK licence at all !!!
Old Jan 25th 2021, 9:05 am
Forum Regular

brian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by wellinever
LOL.....not half..another thing happening in Portugal is that after applying for the exchange of licences, you are issued with a piece of paper that says that you are allowed to drive ONLY in Portugal until you get your official plastic licence and in some cases this is taking MONTHS !! And as you have to give them your original UK licence you dont even have a UK licence at all !!!
We are still allowed to keep UK car 90 in 180 days though as long as we don't apply for residency.If that's the case we'll have to drive over twice a year and sell up everything next year.Their loss,us Brits spend fortunes in the local bars and restaurants.The locals buy 1 beer or water and use the wifi all night,lol.Had a good run for 12 years.
Old Jan 25th 2021, 9:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by modicasa
The rules on that havent changed I dont think. If you leave Italy for more than 6 months you lose your right to remain and/or residence - though there has been some leeway for Covid I hear.
Well that would work for us, but I can see where it would not for many we know. We never stayed in the UK much more than 3 months at a time let alone 6, but did come back here 3-4 times in a year. Driving would simply limit where we could rent in Italy, but we could live without a car, just as we could do in the UK. I've not looked this up, but there was talk that the UK would be much better than the EU over licences, but can't recall in what way. I've never tested this out and who knows what the future holds, but having British nationality as I understand it allows you to turn up in the UK and be resident. However I do foresee ongoing problems for those wanting to live in both places due to Brexit. We also need to get covid out of the way, then things will hopefully settle one way or the other. The latter would cause us the most concern had we still a house in Italy as I suspect travel there this year could be difficult.
Old Jan 25th 2021, 4:25 pm
Forum Regular

Casagialla is a jewel in the roughCasagialla is a jewel in the roughCasagialla is a jewel in the roughCasagialla is a jewel in the rough

I understand ( I think ) the elective residence and dual residence whereby you are agreeing to pay your tax in the the country your inome is from in this case the UK, I have always thought that as a resident in Italy it is a requirment to submit an annual tax return regardeless of the fact you are paying tax on you income in the uk is this not correct?
Old Jan 25th 2021, 6:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Susiemc
Earlier Brian mentioned that he had heard that Italians can come to UK for a straight 180 days is that correct? If so is there any indication of a reciprocal arrangement? That would be ideal for our situation otherwise I suppose we will just have to apply for permesso or totally rethink how we visit our holiday home !
27 EU have the 90 day/180 days rule. A few months ago I read that in Portugal a Canadian couple applied for an extension of the 90 days. You may want to check out this option or perhaps apply for a visa. Info about rules to visit Italy would be on www.gov.uk website.
Old Jan 25th 2021, 6:39 pm
Forum Regular

I think the EU have shot themselves in the foot here.With so many expats owning homes not allowed a UK and a EU licence together.Thin end of the wedge I'm afraid.
Old Jan 25th 2021, 7:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Serrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond repute

I think the EU have shot themselves in the foot here.With so many expats owning homes not allowed a UK and a EU licence together.Thin end of the wedge I'm afraid.
In what sense have the EU shot themselves in the foot? By disincentivising those that were 'flying under the radar'? Just think about that a bit ...
Old Jan 25th 2021, 9:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

jiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant future

It is not illegal to hold two national driving licences but to get two you have to sit the test (again) in one of the two countries; I.e. you take the Italian test rather than swop your UK licence or swop your UK licence and take the UK test next time you are in UK. (The second option is probably preferable in most circumstances.)
Re the insurance conundrum raised above, you have to have a UK car and an Italian car (not an impossible situation if you own properties in each country); one is owned and insured by A and the other by the partner, each naming the other partner as additional driver.
Complicated but within the law and a better than cuffing it with UK plates and licences in the hope you won't get caught.
Old Jan 26th 2021, 9:12 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Serrano
In what sense have the EU shot themselves in the foot? By disincentivising those that were 'flying under the radar'? Just think about that a bit ...
As I said my flying under the radar just entailed overstaying a bit.I pay all the required bills thru the nose cos I am not resident.Go ahead and preach to all the local businesses that are losing our custom.Anyway,think I've sussed it.Drive over stay 45 days,hide car in our off road car park,go home 45 days and so on until December and then drive home.Our Russian neighbours have done this for the last 2 years with their Moscow registered car.Our dual nationality Swiss/Italian neighbour sticks his Swiss plated car in his garage and drives back once a year.He had to get his little swiss plated 4x4 reregistered after plod nicked him 3 years ago.
Old Jan 26th 2021, 9:25 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jiminalpago
It is not illegal to hold two national driving licences but to get two you have to sit the test (again) in one of the two countries; I.e. you take the Italian test rather than swop your UK licence or swop your UK licence and take the UK test next time you are in UK. (The second option is probably preferable in most circumstances.)
Re the insurance conundrum raised above, you have to have a UK car and an Italian car (not an impossible situation if you own properties in each country); one is owned and insured by A and the other by the partner, each naming the other partner as additional driver.
Complicated but within the law and a better than cuffing it with UK plates and licences in the hope you won't get caught.
LOL,me take a UK driving test.I'm a white van driving retired London plumber.The examiner would have a nervous breakdown.With the Italian test,Idon't smoke ,text or have a toddler available to sit on my lap with no seatbelt.Guess I would fail on all those disciplines.
Old Jan 26th 2021, 9:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute

I suspect reading articles like this on the BBC it might be a bit of a pain crossing borders in a loaded car....
Old Jan 26th 2021, 10:26 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Geordieborn
I suspect reading articles like this on the BBC it might be a bit of a pain crossing borders in a loaded car....
Might be the kick up the arse we need.Revamp our manufacturing and cottage industries.Buy British.Our car wont be loaded with the usual bacon,bangers and mature cheddar this year,lol.
Old Jan 26th 2021, 11:11 am
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

I suspect these taxes might bankrupt a lot of small businesses.
I notice the British Embassy has posted plenty of pictures of people laughing and smiling to show how things have improved. Take a driving test if you arrived in 2021 ha ha ha! Get some private health insurance ha ha ha! The comments arent quite so positive.
https://m.facebook.com/ukinitaly/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.