Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Advice for half British/Italian deciding to retire to Italy

Advice for half British/Italian deciding to retire to Italy

Old Nov 30th 2017, 5:02 pm
Just Joined

supermario is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice for half British/Italian deciding to retire to Italy

Hi all. I've literally just started the process of trying to get dual UK/Italian citizenship. My late father was Italian, my Mother British, they divorced when I was a child and my name was changed by deed poll.
I must wondered if anybody had any tips or advice on the way to go about it? Also of course the pitfulls to watch out for!
I do intend to eventually move to Italy and live, renting a property somewhere. I'm 58 and both my parents are deceased.
How would I go about tracing my relatives on my fathers side in Sicily?
Thanks.
Old Dec 1st 2017, 8:03 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice for half British/Italian deciding to retire to Italy

Hello and welcome to the forum.
It's going to take you some time to get proof of your Italian citizenship if your birth was never registered in Italy. Start by reading this page and then clicking on the last link at the bottom to get the long list of documents that you will need to provide the consulate with ...... not to mention €300 or the GBP equivalent at the time of your appointment.

Citizenship by birth right - jure sanguinis
Old Dec 1st 2017, 8:41 am
Just Joined

Ok that's a start. Thanks very much. I'm not in any particular hurry as I'm allowing for a year to learn passable Italian again - as a child I was allegedly fluent!
At least I'm in a stronger position with having an Italian father, just need to be patient I think.
Old Dec 1st 2017, 8:48 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by supermario
Ok that's a start. Thanks very much. I'm not in any particular hurry as I'm allowing for a year to learn passable Italian again - as a child I was allegedly fluent!
At least I'm in a stronger position with having an Italian father, just need to be patient I think.
You can start getting your documents in order whilst you learn Italian. I only glanced briefly at the list, but I did notice that they all need to be apostilled and stamped etc. Any birth, marriage, death certificates can be ordered online if you don't have them. I've used this service before and they are pretty quick.

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/

Buona fortuna.
Old Dec 1st 2017, 8:50 am
Just Joined

Grazia! Yes I'm a man with a plan now...

Have tried researching the cost of renting a small property in Italy (Mid to South), but have come up with mixed results. Roughly how do prices compare to a similar property in England?
Old Dec 1st 2017, 8:56 am

I live up in the North and haven't rented for ages so I'm not much help I'm afraid. Italy, like everywhere else has different base prices depending on town, country, city. I know I could find a rental where I live for less than half the price I'd be expected to pay in Milan.
Old Dec 1st 2017, 9:06 am
Just Joined

So country is probably cheaper than city I guess, similar to a lot of places.
My Father was originally from Sicily, so I've got a hankering to see if any relatives are still thereabouts today.
I can just about remember being on the beach at Taormina when the boats came in with their catch, myself being particularly scared of the octopus!
Even when living in England we would spend every winter in Sicily. I also remember an Italian policeman falling over on the road through the Dolomite passes in the winter of 63 - probably my oldest memory.
Old Jan 8th 2018, 5:37 pm
Just Joined

Giuseppe is an unknown quantity at this point

hello supermario. I'm sicilian. if you still need information you can contact me and I will help you