Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

About Queen Elizabeth

About Queen Elizabeth

Old Sep 8th 2022, 9:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

C.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond repute
Default About Queen Elizabeth

A few years back I had a conversation with an Italian acquaintance who said "Congratulations!"...I said "Why? What for?" ..."The baby" he said..."What baby?" said I ..."You know! Your baby!" he insisted quite forcefully...I started to get very confused and also slightly worried... eventually I worked out he was talking about a royal baby, and then I surprised him by saying I had no idea that any of them were pregnant. So when the Duke of Edinburgh died it wasn't a great surprise when Italian friends offered their condolences to me. In a way I found it charming ... but maybe a bit inappropriate because it's not exactly a personal loss. And I think the Italians I spoke to were somewhat surprised at my lack of emotional response. And this next bit is talking about stereotypes, but maybe it's also that Italians are generally more open with their emotions than us Brits are. What do you all think?

Now, I feel I should add that I know that when people talk about the Queen there are of course a lot of people who feel quite strongly, and for some there's a sense of personal loss at the news of her death, even if they didn't really know Elizabeth personally. And in some cases that makes perfect sense when you think that the Queen would have met a lot of people during her life, and for those people it would have been a big deal to meet the Queen. Plus of course she often met people at times when those people were doing something really special (receiving an award, competing in an important sporting event, displaying their works of art, etc). And so I'm not trying to say that people shouldn't feel emotional. But I do think that it gets a bit much when the media portray it as though we all share the same feelings.

Also I'm not sure whether expats are more likely to be republicans (seeing as how they chose to leave the UK) or whether they are more patriotic (perhaps out of a sense nostalgia for the homeland). It'd be interesting to take a completely unscientific straw poll via this forum

​​​
Old Sep 9th 2022, 12:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Raffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: About Queen Elizabeth

Reactions to the death of Diana seemed to show a more emotional side to at least some Brits than the often heard description "reserved".But a quite different situation now with the passing of the head of the institution and someone who kept her opinions to herself. At such an old age too. Critical economic and security challenges are being faced there. So is the British "stiff upper lip" making a comeback? That would further dull any emotional response.

On the expat Republican/Monarchist question I for one have become somewhat more Monarchist after living in a country for 20 years where there is no backstop, however small that is in the UK, to the actions of the government. They had People Power 40 years ago but no chance of that coming back.
Old Sep 9th 2022, 6:12 am
Forum Regular

Rose68 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by C.2s
A few years back I had a conversation with an Italian acquaintance who said "Congratulations!"...I said "Why? What for?" ..."The baby" he said..."What baby?" said I ..."You know! Your baby!" he insisted quite forcefully...I started to get very confused and also slightly worried... eventually I worked out he was talking about a royal baby, and then I surprised him by saying I had no idea that any of them were pregnant. So when the Duke of Edinburgh died it wasn't a great surprise when Italian friends offered their condolences to me. In a way I found it charming ... but maybe a bit inappropriate because it's not exactly a personal loss. And I think the Italians I spoke to were somewhat surprised at my lack of emotional response. And this next bit is talking about stereotypes, but maybe it's also that Italians are generally more open with their emotions than us Brits are. What do you all think?

Now, I feel I should add that I know that when people talk about the Queen there are of course a lot of people who feel quite strongly, and for some there's a sense of personal loss at the news of her death, even if they didn't really know Elizabeth personally. And in some cases that makes perfect sense when you think that the Queen would have met a lot of people during her life, and for those people it would have been a big deal to meet the Queen. Plus of course she often met people at times when those people were doing something really special (receiving an award, competing in an important sporting event, displaying their works of art, etc). And so I'm not trying to say that people shouldn't feel emotional. But I do think that it gets a bit much when the media portray it as though we all share the same feelings.

Also I'm not sure whether expats are more likely to be republicans (seeing as how they chose to leave the UK) or whether they are more patriotic (perhaps out of a sense nostalgia for the homeland). It'd be interesting to take a completely unscientific straw poll via this forum

​​​
You are absolutely right about Italians showing their emotions more easily, but not just that, Queen Elizabeth II was greatly loved here in Italy.
I've been living in the south of Italy for nearly thirty years now, but I was born and grew up in London. I always tell people here how it seems that there is so much more enthusiastic interest and respect for the British royal family than there is in Britain itself. Perhaps it's because most Italians miss having a monarchy and the royals represent a romanticized symbol for them, especially this particular long reigning monarch,devoted and dedicated to her royal duties.
God bless the Queen, may I add, a great example to us all.
Old Sep 9th 2022, 10:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute

Not a monarchist at all really, but I have to admire anyone who makes it to 96 and is still smiling… My biggest regret is the media coverage I knew would hit us and boy has it! Then there is the talk of changing all the post boxes as I assume the “EIIR” has to go. For heaven’s sake just change the middle little stick out on the “E” or have Charlie change his title to Edward (or dare I say Elizabeth II). I assume here they will want to put “CIIIR” on there? At my age it will be very hard to have Charlie pictured on my cash, I'll be thinking "hang on that's not real money"... Perhaps we should go cashless ...?
It’s a bit sad for me as she was a quality old lady… The OH was in tears, but that’s quite normal these days….
Old Sep 9th 2022, 10:55 am
Forum Regular

Rose68 is an unknown quantity at this point

Our last photo of Her Majesty.
Old Sep 9th 2022, 11:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute

My sister told me today that the picture of her shaking hands with LizT shows her hand all bruised. I know a lot of people that age bruise easily, but in this case here it does look bad.
Old Sep 9th 2022, 12:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rose68
You are absolutely right about Italians showing their emotions more easily, but not just that, Queen Elizabeth II was greatly loved here in Italy.
I've been living in the south of Italy for nearly thirty years now, but I was born and grew up in London. I always tell people here how it seems that there is so much more enthusiastic interest and respect for the British royal family than there is in Britain itself. Perhaps it's because most Italians miss having a monarchy and the royals represent a romanticized symbol for them, especially this particular long reigning monarch,devoted and dedicated to her royal duties.
God bless the Queen, may I add, a great example to us all.
I dont think many Italians have a great love for the Savoia. Victorio Emanuel's behaviour in the war cost thousands of Italian and allied lives and after the war Italy voted to get rid of them. Some of the newer Savoia have been involved in criminal activity.

Last edited by philat98; Sep 9th 2022 at 12:11 pm.
Old Sep 9th 2022, 12:32 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geordieborn
Not a monarchist at all really, but I have to admire anyone who makes it to 96 and is still smiling… My biggest regret is the media coverage I knew would hit us and boy has it! Then there is the talk of changing all the post boxes as I assume the “EIIR” has to go. For heaven’s sake just change the middle little stick out on the “E” or have Charlie change his title to Edward (or dare I say Elizabeth II). I assume here they will want to put “CIIIR” on there? At my age it will be very hard to have Charlie pictured on my cash, I'll be thinking "hang on that's not real money"... Perhaps we should go cashless ...?
It’s a bit sad for me as she was a quality old lady… The OH was in tears, but that’s quite normal these days….
Existing post boxes remain.
Have a read of https://historianruby.com/2018/04/01...a-brief-guide/
If you lucky you can still find old VR boxes
Old Sep 9th 2022, 1:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

C.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond repute

My sister told me today that the picture of her shaking hands with LizT shows her hand all bruised. I know a lot of people that age bruise easily, but in this case here it does look bad.
It's presumably a bruise from a cannula (IV needle). It's a typical type of bruise that people get from this. Which indicates she was probably having treatment recently.
Old Sep 9th 2022, 1:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Not a monarchist at all really, but I have to admire anyone who makes it to 96 and is still smiling… My biggest regret is the media coverage I knew would hit us...or have Charlie change his title to Edward (or dare I say Elizabeth II)...
It’s a bit sad for me she was a quality old lady...
I agree with you entirely, apart from the Elizabeth II bit... surely she was already Elizabeth II? .. and even if changed his name to exactly "Elizabeth II" then he'd officially be "Elizabeth II the first"... I think... my head hurts ;-)
Old Sep 9th 2022, 1:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by philat98
Some of the newer Savoia have been involved in criminal activity.
"Cough, cough, aherm, Andrew, cough, cough!"
Old Sep 9th 2022, 2:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

pugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the rough

My Italian friend sent me a whatsapp: "I'm sorry for the loss of your Queen" and I replied "Is she dead"?
Old Sep 11th 2022, 10:57 am
BE Enthusiast

jonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to behold

I am a convinced republican, although that doesn't mean that I see some example to be followed in the republics of this world; abolition of the monarchy would only be the first step.
However, I recognise that there are still a lot of monarchists in Britain (in proportions that vary according to which scandals are currently featured in the media). But the Italian media really exaggerate the strength of of pro-monarchist feeling, which actually ranges from fanatical to vaguely interested. They suggest that the entire British population are sobbing into their pillows at night. To reverse the roles, when a Pope dies, foreign media broadcast pictures of the grieving faithful in St Peter's Square but don't give any coverage to those who couldn't care less. I know people who consider themselves Catholics but never go near a church and grumble when the Pope appears on TV. And I think it's the same with the British monarchy.
Old Sep 15th 2022, 6:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

Mattarella is going to the Queens funeral on Monday. As Presidents go he seems to behave very well.
Old Sep 15th 2022, 6:49 pm
Forum Regular

daniel_t has a brilliant futuredaniel_t has a brilliant futuredaniel_t has a brilliant futuredaniel_t has a brilliant futuredaniel_t has a brilliant futuredaniel_t has a brilliant futuredaniel_t has a brilliant futuredaniel_t has a brilliant future

Monarchism or republicanism aside - Her late Majesty selflessly dedicated her entire life to the service of our country and the Commonwealth.

The Royal Family is a marketing tool for British businesses abroad, as well as cultural symbol admired by many around the world.

Presidents come and go - some of them only work for selfish personal gains. Corrupt presidents fill their coffers until they get booted out of government.

Feel free to disagree though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.