Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

50cc moped... Licence needed?

50cc moped... Licence needed?

Old Jul 4th 2011, 9:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Pecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to behold
Default 50cc moped... Licence needed?

Hi all,

Does anyone know the laws for driving a 50cc moped?

Age of driver 16

Does she need a licence, Can she drive on a UK CBT.

If she has to take a test in Italy, does anyone have any experience on how difficult it is.

Many thanks
Old Jul 4th 2011, 12:03 pm
Forum Regular

giodafa will become famous soon enoughgiodafa will become famous soon enough
Default Re: 50cc moped... Licence needed?

She does need a "patentino" many schools do free 20 hr courses,from what I've heard the exam is pretty easy.
CBT, now try and immagine explaining that to your local carabinieri
Old Jul 4th 2011, 12:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to behold

Thanks Giodafa,

I am just trying to look at all the options
Old Jul 4th 2011, 12:10 pm
Forum Regular

giodafa will become famous soon enoughgiodafa will become famous soon enough

how about contacting them? http://www.motorizzazioneroma.it/contatti.php
I'm sure they will give you the rigt info
Old Jul 4th 2011, 8:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Serrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pecora Nera
Hi all,

Age of driver 16

If she has to take a test in Italy, does anyone have any experience on how difficult it is.

Many thanks
I am absolutely sure you can't ride on a CBT - in fact my unserstanding is that (unless you already have a licence from another country) you must pass the theory test before you even go on the road. The theory test is not difficult, but I have known youngsters have to take it three or four times. I don't believe it is available other than in Italian. You can find all the papers here http://www.patentati.it/patentino/quiz/scheda-1.html , so you can judge for yourself.

And once the theory test is out of the way, you have in effect a provisional licence that only lasts a certain time (can't remember how long) before you must take your practical test.
Old Jul 5th 2011, 7:50 am
BE Forum Addict

ononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond repute

pardon the ignorance, but what's a 'CBT'?
ciao for now,
'o nonno
Old Jul 5th 2011, 7:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ononno
pardon the ignorance, but what's a 'CBT'?
ciao for now,
'o nonno
It is the UK compulsory Bike Test that has to be taken before you can drive on the road even with L plates. It was brought in to either save lives or to make money....
Old Jul 7th 2011, 4:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

dina1965 will become famous soon enoughdina1965 will become famous soon enough

Hi all,

Age of driver 16

Many thanks
My son (almost 15) passed his "patentino" yesterday
I spent four hours at the Motorizzazione Civile yesterday !
There are now two parts to the exam - theory and pratical
You can only take the theory if a driving school (course costs eur 100-150) certifies that the teen has taken a course or if he has taken a course at his liceo (free). It's relatively easy to pass (out of 30 teens yesterday only 5 failed).
The State fees (marche da bollo/versamenti etc) come up to eur 71.06 excluding the costs of the doctor's certificate and the ASL certificate (eur 30 + eur 14.62)
Once you've passed the "theory" you get a foglio rosa which allows you to drive a scooter. After 31 days you are allowed to take the practical test. The foglio rosa expires after 6 months.
I've no idea how much the "pratica" will cost ... I'll be finding out within the next few days !!!!
Old Jul 7th 2011, 11:24 pm
Banned

6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute

What are the rules if you have a UK / European car license? can you just hop on a scooter and take your chances?
Old Jul 8th 2011, 7:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dina1965
My son (almost 15) passed his "patentino" yesterday
I spent four hours at the Motorizzazione Civile yesterday !
There are now two parts to the exam - theory and pratical
You can only take the theory if a driving school (course costs eur 100-150) certifies that the teen has taken a course or if he has taken a course at his liceo (free). It's relatively easy to pass (out of 30 teens yesterday only 5 failed).
The State fees (marche da bollo/versamenti etc) come up to eur 71.06 excluding the costs of the doctor's certificate and the ASL certificate (eur 30 + eur 14.62)
Once you've passed the "theory" you get a foglio rosa which allows you to drive a scooter. After 31 days you are allowed to take the practical test. The foglio rosa expires after 6 months.
I've no idea how much the "pratica" will cost ... I'll be finding out within the next few days !!!!
Thanks Dina, Well done to your son.
This is really helpful please will you update the thread as your son passes each step.

Pete
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 5:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

dina1965 will become famous soon enoughdina1965 will become famous soon enough

Thanks Dina, Well done to your son.
This is really helpful please will you update the thread as your son passes each step.

Pete
will do, but as we're in Italy (and more to the point southern Italy) everything is closed during the month of August ...