Wikiposts

4 season tyres

Old Aug 13th 2017, 6:53 pm
Forum Regular

Seldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 4 season tyres

I think I paid twenty euros for mine at Auchan. I have no idea how to fit them and I doubt I will ever need to find out but they sit in the boot in case some cop decides to check together with the two hi viz jackets and warning triangles etc.
Old Aug 13th 2017, 10:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

GeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud of

If you drive up the A22 Brenner motorway or up the Valle d'Aosta towards Mont Blanc tunnel, you will see big signs advising of the mandatory winter tyre or snow chain regulations, usually between mid-November and mid-April. The rules are being extended to other regions as well I believe.

Austria definitely has a similar requirement.

The cheapest option is just to carry suitable snow chains (make sure they're omologato as well, as the Police well).

We live halfway up a mountain outside Trento and fit winter tyres and snow chains. Only had to use the snow chains twice in two winters but were vital in both instances. I find the winter tyres are handy for up/down the mountain in poor conditions and they're no dearer than summer tyres really, so effectively it doesn't cost much more because you just spread your mileage over 2 sets of tyres.

The 4-season tyres are generally viewed as being a bit of a halfway measure. Legal but as pointed out above not necessarily up to the job for proper winter conditions.
Old Aug 14th 2017, 4:56 am
Forum Regular

arjacey has a brilliant futurearjacey has a brilliant futurearjacey has a brilliant futurearjacey has a brilliant futurearjacey has a brilliant futurearjacey has a brilliant future

I had winter tyres put on last November. Garage kept my tyres and swapped them in April. Charged €25 for storage and fitting as far as I can remember. This on my 4x4 which I would use over the winter so it is important to have something that will do a job rather than just to comply with the legal requirements. Still couldn't get up the drive when we had heavy snow mind!

However, on a sunny winter day I might take the MX5 for a spin so I bought some chains in Carrefour, €30-ish I think, to comply.
Old Aug 15th 2017, 6:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

GeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud of

For what it's worth, some tests suggest winter tyres are more helpful than having 4-wheel drive.

Last edited by GeorgeYoung; Aug 15th 2017 at 6:35 pm. Reason: Forgot the link!
Old Aug 25th 2017, 7:06 am
Forum Regular

ALFIE15 is an unknown quantity at this point

It is a legal requirement to have winter tyres fitted in the whole Germany now for those transmitting home,however you are covered by four season tyres marked with the snow symbol. The winter tyres is more about the rubber compound working better in cold condition and aiding traction. The tread is slightly dipper but for heavy snow conditions you will never beat chains.
Old Oct 18th 2017, 9:11 pm
Giorgio Miles

Cliftonensis is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by philat98
I had 4 season tyres fitted on my car last November in a local garage. It saves keeping a spare set of tyres.
I do not think they do here. Snow socks are ok in France but not in Italy.
Old Oct 22nd 2017, 5:48 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ALFIE15
.... for heavy snow conditions you will never beat chains.
I don't think that statement is absolutely true.

Last edited by Pulaski; Oct 22nd 2017 at 5:53 am.
Old Oct 24th 2017, 2:32 am
Just Joined

num427f is an unknown quantity at this point

Newby here so bear with me... ' Winter' tyres are made of a slightly different plastic (yes, modern car tyres are made of plastic) to 'normal' or 'summer' tyres in that the plastic is less prone to going rigid and stiff when very cold. They are, therefore, better able to find some purchase on a very slippery road surface. However, as any formula 1 fan will tell you, softer compound tyres wear out faster in normal conditions. So.... Firstly, unless you are doing very low mileages, revert to normal tyres in summer months for better wear. Second, Italian law states that if you want to use motorways in winter months you MUST have winter or four season tyres fitted. Third, they are NO substitute for chains in snow. Fourth, ( yeah, I know, I'm going on a bit here and drifting (oh yes,,,great play on words! :-))off topic) four wheel drive in snow is great for getting going BUT you have just the same problems cornering and stopping as two wheel drive cars and your vehicle is probably heavier and therefore that bit more difficult to persuade to change speed or direction. Which raises the question.... MUST you go in the snow? And, yes, I have been stopped in a service area and had my tyres checked when there was not a flake in sight.
Old Oct 24th 2017, 2:40 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by num427f
.... four wheel drive in snow is great for getting going BUT you have just the same problems cornering and stopping as two wheel drive cars and your vehicle is probably heavier and therefore that bit more difficult to persuade to change speed or direction. ....
That is oh so true! And unfortunately something that most owners of 4×4s seem blissfully unaware of.
Old Oct 24th 2017, 2:42 am
Just Joined

Me again. Search on google will bring up sources of part used tyres of both summer and winter types for MUCH less money than new. I've been using part worn tyres for the last 120,000 kms on a Viano and have made savings to the tune of more than halving tyre costs per kilometre. Definitely recommend this. Near Rome I recommend Duke gomme srls
89 via antonio carruccio.
Old Oct 24th 2017, 7:34 pm
Forum Regular

Seldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond repute

Italian law states that if you want to use motorways in winter months you MUST have winter or four season tyres fitted.

Are you certain about that? I thought it was sufficient to carry snow chains and I can find nothing that would suggest otherwise.
Old Oct 24th 2017, 7:52 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Seldomseenkid
Italian law states that if you want to use motorways in winter months you MUST have winter or four season tyres fitted.

Are you certain about that? I thought it was sufficient to carry snow chains and I can find nothing that would suggest otherwise.
Absolutely. Every tyre bay and service garage has notices posted through the autumn months warning motorists.
Old Oct 24th 2017, 8:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Seldomseenkid

This certainly isn't the case on the Autostrada del Brennero, where it's winter tyres or snow chains onboard (and obviously they must demonstrably fit your car and be certified by ISO/TUV etc.).

WINTER TIRES - A22
Old Oct 24th 2017, 11:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

The summer tyres for my Panda have so little tread on them I wouldn't fancy them much on the Brenner Pass in January even if I had chains in the boot.
Old Oct 25th 2017, 7:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

HADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond repute

The regulations can differ from region to reagion and also from council to council plus extra rules for ANAS / motorways so its best to check what applies where you live and if planning a trip . Checks can be made at any point during the defined period and more likely when there is no sign of snow because when it is actually snowing the police are busy dealing with it . Its worth checking your insurance too .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.