British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Italy (https://britishexpats.com/forum/italy-77/)
-   -   2021 Index of Economic Freedom - country rankings (https://britishexpats.com/forum/italy-77/2021-index-economic-freedom-country-rankings-938624/)

Sancho May 16th 2021 3:28 am

2021 Index of Economic Freedom - country rankings

2021 Index of Economic Freedom

Italy's at the @rse end of the "moderately free" section, somewhere between Albania and Benin.

jiminalpago May 16th 2021 3:18 pm

Re: 2021 Index of Economic Freedom - country rankings

Originally Posted by Sancho (Post 13006875)

Italy's at the @rse end of the "moderately free" section, somewhere between Albania and Benin.

Have you checked out The Heritage Foundation? Are you happy with their criteria?
Just asking.

Serrano May 16th 2021 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by Sancho (Post 13006875)

... and actually a cursory glance at the data would show that Italy's slap bang in the middle of the "moderately free" section - two places below Albania and 32 places above Benin.

philat98 May 16th 2021 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by jiminalpago (Post 13007100)
Have you checked out The Heritage Foundation? Are you happy with their criteria?
Just asking.

They kindly volunteered 66 alumni to work in the Trump administration. Surprising that the USA wasnt first in the list.

jiminalpago May 16th 2021 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by philat98 (Post 13007123)
They kindly volunteered 66 alumni to work in the Trump administration. Surprising that the USA wasnt first in the list.

Singapore didn't surprise me but I wonder if New Zealanders are aware of how little influence "government" has in their lives and how free they are, as a consequence, to make loads a' money.

modicasa May 17th 2021 6:10 am

It seems to me that economic freedom means the ability to make pots of money at teh expense of everyone else alla Jeff Bezos. The fact that Dyson went to Singapore seems the proof of the pudding. So economic freedom here is equivalent to unbridled capitalism. Im rather glad Italy is a way down the list.

Plan B May 18th 2021 11:09 am

Really ??!! Economic freedom, to me, means the ability to invest my already taxed money in a business without being taxed for doing so: it means a government that doesn't attempt to interfere in the tiniest detail of day-to-day life to the extent that it stifles opportunity, growth and so often kills entrepreneurial spirit. No wonder Italy has had this brain-drain for so long.