1 year rental

Old Mar 23rd 2014, 7:38 pm
Banned

6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute
Default 1 year rental

Hi,

I have this weekend found a great beachside house I want to rent for a year maybe longer but at least 1 year, normally I just negotiate directly with the owner but in this case an agent showed the house.

He tried a higher price than my Italian friend was quoted (Had him ring up a few weeks ago) and then changed it instantly as I mentioned the difference.

What would be normal in terms of deposit and payment terms for a 12 month contract with a view to possibly extend.

I am aware that most contracts are significantly longer, but there is an over supply of property as far as I can tell so I will not be bound by the normal length of term although I understand that how deposits and payments are taken will be non flexible.
Old Mar 23rd 2014, 8:52 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 1 year rental

Originally Posted by 6monthshere6monthsthere
Hi,

I have this weekend found a great beachside house I want to rent for a year maybe longer but at least 1 year, normally I just negotiate directly with the owner but in this case an agent showed the house.

He tried a higher price than my Italian friend was quoted (Had him ring up a few weeks ago) and then changed it instantly as I mentioned the difference.

What would be normal in terms of deposit and payment terms for a 12 month contract with a view to possibly extend.

I am aware that most contracts are significantly longer, but there is an over supply of property as far as I can tell so I will not be bound by the normal length of term although I understand that how deposits and payments are taken will be non flexible.
you are probably looking at one month deposit if unfurnished and 2 if furnished plus paying first month in advance
Old Mar 23rd 2014, 8:56 pm
Forum Regular

Ruby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond repute

For a 1 year 'contratto transitorio' for 1 year we've paid a deposit of 3 months rent, refunded at the end of the year, and paid rent monthly in advance by bank transfer.
Old Mar 23rd 2014, 10:12 pm
Banned

6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute

I knew it was more than the UK standard of pay of 1 and 1 and the above is a lot less extreme than was previously indicated to my friend *I suspect the agent was just hoping, but he asked for the WHOLE rent in advance!

Based on the above I will suggest to him that this is not exactly reasonable and try and get 2 plus 1, which coming form the UK feels very fair to me.

thanks
Old Mar 24th 2014, 6:01 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

A contratto transitorio is not extendendable by right, like a contratto libero - you can renew it, yes but you have no right to renew it - and the owner can throw you out. Most agents will take 1 month rental as their fee - but you can negotiate down to 2 weeks (he wil take the same from the owner). Pay 2 months deposit and 1 month rent in hand.
Old Mar 24th 2014, 11:16 pm
Banned

Ah ok he wrote this to me and I thought it was cheeky in the extreme?

In più c'è da aggiungere 150 euro mensili per la quota condominiale relativa alla pulizia del verde; alla realizzazione e allo smontaggio in estate del solarium in legno; alla luce della corsia ed alla pulizia della terrazza e dell'arenile antistante il mare di pertinenza della villa. Bisogna lasciare, alla firma del contratto, 1.700 euro di cauzione, che verrà restituita alla fine della locazione e 1.037 euro i.v.a. inclusa quale provvigione per l'Agenzia Immobiliare. Se per lei queste condizioni vanno bene, mi faccia sapere al più presto per lasciarmi una caparra e la copia del suo documento di identità e codice fiscale per preparare il contratto di locazione. Cordiali saluti

The cheeky parts as far as I am concerned the 150 euro that seems to have arrived on top and the fee *Which i can see from above is normal pracise so will let him off and negotiate that part

I hope to clip 50 a month off the rent and think is fee could be less will aim for 500, my problem is i REALLY want this house!
Old Mar 25th 2014, 6:08 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

Condo fees are always at the charge of the lessee. - it seems you get a solarium into the bargain. THe agent seems to ne having a laugh asking for 2000+ in commission!
Old Mar 25th 2014, 8:17 am
BE Enthusiast

nicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond repute

You have to look out for Condo fees (in Sicily at least) as they are often not mentioned in the ads and can vary considerably in my experience from 30 to 200 Euros a month for flats with rents around 600-800 Euros. The single most important factor is the presence of a porter which can be very expensive in a small condo. In this case my experience has taught me that you cannot completely trust either the agency or the owner about the condo fees and the best thing to do is ask the porter directly.
Heating charges are very rarely included in the price and here you have to be careful that the flat actually has heating (and/or air conditioning) as a surprising number of rental properties in Sicily seem to lack any form of heating/cooling system both of which are essential.

(PS for other people looking for short-term rentals) Another thing I found strange at first was the complete absence of a kitchen and even a sink in many properties as most Italian families seem to take their kitchens with them when they move. If you are looking for a short term rental you don't want to have to fit your own kitchen and/or air conditioning so make sure they are already present.
Also check on the contract how many months in advance you have to give if you want to leave and REDUCE the number. They often try and slip in a clause demanding 3-6 months notice if you want to leave. Remember in Sicly they are never going to get a tenant as good as you so you can really bargain

Last edited by nicktonight; Mar 25th 2014 at 8:30 am.
Old Mar 25th 2014, 10:33 am
BE Forum Addict

On a contratto transitorio (ie up to 18months) the apartment must be furnished and is technically only for non residents. The standard (legal) notice period is 3 months. On a 4x4 it is 6.