International AutoSource - Expat car leasing, financing and all-inclusive rentals
 International Auto Source

Americanisms 101- Workplace Phrases

Old May 3rd 2019, 1:17 pm
Just Joined

International AutoSource is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Americanisms 101- Workplace Phrases

How to decipher British to American English from car parts to rules of the road and other terminology from A to Zed.

Part 3 of 3: Workplace Phrases

Brownie points” – to get praise or approval for something you have done.

“Call it a day” – to quit working for the day and go home.

“Stay on your toes” – always be ready for whatever is thrown your way.

“Think outside the box” – think creatively and not follow the crowd.

“Throw in the towel” – admit defeat and move on.

Click here to learn more workplace phrases.

Did we miss something? We want to hear from you!
Old May 3rd 2019, 1:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Americanisms 101- Workplace Phrases

Originally Posted by International AutoSource
How to decipher British to American English from car parts to rules of the road and other terminology from A to Zed.

Part 3 of 3: Workplace Phrases

Brownie points” – to get praise or approval for something you have done.

“Call it a day” – to quit working for the day and go home.

“Stay on your toes” – always be ready for whatever is thrown your way.

“Think outside the box” – think creatively and not follow the crowd.

“Throw in the towel” – admit defeat and move on.

Click here to learn more workplace phrases.

Did we miss something? We want to hear from you!
Are you kidding? You could use any one of those in England and be understood without question.
Old May 3rd 2019, 1:32 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
Are you kidding? You could use any one of those in England and be understood without question.
Yep. And in Australia too.
Old May 3rd 2019, 1:59 pm
Just Joined

International AutoSource is an unknown quantity at this point

MidAtlantic spouse of scouse Thank you for letting us know! Our understanding is that these are not commonly used phrases in other countries. If you know of American phrases that you've heard that aren't used in your home country let us know!
Old May 3rd 2019, 3:18 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic

Agreed, all of those are common currency in the UK, and in most if not all cases have been in common usage for a number of decades, with "think outside the box" being the only possible exception that may have appeared towards the end of the twentieth century. And given that the US doesn't seem to have "brownies", I suspect that "brownie points" was probably a phrase that started in the UK.
Old May 3rd 2019, 3:21 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by International AutoSource
MidAtlantic spouse of scouse Thank you for letting us know! Our understanding is that these are not commonly used phrases in other countries. If you know of American phrases that you've heard that aren't used in your home country let us know!
You won't find many "American" phrases that are not generally understood in the UK, thanks mostly to TV shows and films (movies ). In my experience Americans are much more likely to be confused by quintessentially British phrases than the other way around.
Old May 4th 2019, 2:16 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Pulaski
: And given that the US doesn't seem to have "brownies", I suspect that "brownie points" was probably a phrase that started in the UK.
Yup. This Brownie of old earned Brownie Points back in the day. Think outside the Box is attributed to a UK academic. Throw in the towel was first used during a USA boxing bout early 1900's but the original phrase was throw up the sponge which did not originate in the USA.

None of the above phrases are Americanisms. Most have their origins elsewhere, from other countries, from times past. Most are freely used and commonly understood everywhere .

One that does seem to be quintessentially american not commonly used in the UK or around the globe but likely has fallen out of use there is " I'm your huckleberry. "

The irritating 'Have a nice day' may be american in origin.

Using 'best' instead of 'best wishes' or 'all the best' may be an american shortcut thing.

The use of 'going forward' rather than 'in the future' or 'from now on' may also have evolved in america. I don't know. Going forward to me means just that = a physical forward motion.
Old May 4th 2019, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by BEVS
.... One that does seem to be quintessentially american not commonly used in the UK or around the globe but likely has fallen out of use there is " I'm your huckleberry. " ....
The English language is littered with idiomatic phrases, and many of them spread around the world from wherever they started, but not all do and I am not aware of "bought the farm" being used in the UK. I first heard it in the lyrics of Alice Cooper's "Hey Stoopid", where the context makes the meaning fairly clear, but Simon Whistler did Today I Found YouTube video on the phrase and whether it has any historic validity.
Old May 4th 2019, 10:43 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Pulaski
The English language is littered with idiomatic phrases.
Tiz true.

It is a slow Sunday for me so I may browse the other phrases in the link .

I had not heard of 'bought the farm' and had to look it up. Seems to mean someone 'karked it' & 'popped one's clogs'

Old May 5th 2019, 2:59 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Here's another one for you: Clickbait.
Old Jun 2nd 2019, 9:15 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kooky.
Here's another one for you: Clickbait.
Agreed, ridiculous OP post.