British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   International AutoSource - Expat car leasing, financing and all-inclusive rentals (https://britishexpats.com/forum/international-autosource-expat-car-leasing-financing-all-inclusive-rentals-219/)
-   -   Americanisms 101- Workplace Phrases (https://britishexpats.com/forum/international-autosource-expat-car-leasing-financing-all-inclusive-rentals-219/americanisms-101-workplace-phrases-924682/)

International AutoSource May 3rd 2019 1:17 pm

Americanisms 101- Workplace Phrases

How to decipher British to American English from car parts to rules of the road and other terminology from A to Zed.

Part 3 of 3: Workplace Phrases

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...7b5f8fbbeb.jpg

Brownie points” – to get praise or approval for something you have done.

“Call it a day” – to quit working for the day and go home.

“Stay on your toes” – always be ready for whatever is thrown your way.

“Think outside the box” – think creatively and not follow the crowd.

“Throw in the towel” – admit defeat and move on.

Click here to learn more workplace phrases.

Did we miss something? We want to hear from you!

MidAtlantic May 3rd 2019 1:23 pm

Re: Americanisms 101- Workplace Phrases

Originally Posted by International AutoSource (Post 12678834)
How to decipher British to American English from car parts to rules of the road and other terminology from A to Zed.

Part 3 of 3: Workplace Phrases

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...7b5f8fbbeb.jpg

Brownie points” – to get praise or approval for something you have done.

“Call it a day” – to quit working for the day and go home.

“Stay on your toes” – always be ready for whatever is thrown your way.

“Think outside the box” – think creatively and not follow the crowd.

“Throw in the towel” – admit defeat and move on.

Click here to learn more workplace phrases.

Did we miss something? We want to hear from you!

Are you kidding? You could use any one of those in England and be understood without question.

spouse of scouse May 3rd 2019 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic (Post 12678839)
Are you kidding? You could use any one of those in England and be understood without question.

Yep. And in Australia too.

International AutoSource May 3rd 2019 1:59 pm

MidAtlantic spouse of scouse Thank you for letting us know! Our understanding is that these are not commonly used phrases in other countries. If you know of American phrases that you've heard that aren't used in your home country let us know!

Pulaski May 3rd 2019 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic (Post 12678839)

:goodpost:

Agreed, all of those are common currency in the UK, and in most if not all cases have been in common usage for a number of decades, with "think outside the box" being the only possible exception that may have appeared towards the end of the twentieth century. And given that the US doesn't seem to have "brownies", I suspect that "brownie points" was probably a phrase that started in the UK.

Pulaski May 3rd 2019 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by International AutoSource (Post 12678853)
MidAtlantic spouse of scouse Thank you for letting us know! Our understanding is that these are not commonly used phrases in other countries. If you know of American phrases that you've heard that aren't used in your home country let us know!

You won't find many "American" phrases that are not generally understood in the UK, thanks mostly to TV shows and films (movies ;)). In my experience Americans are much more likely to be confused by quintessentially British phrases than the other way around.

BEVS May 4th 2019 2:16 am

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12678896)
: And given that the US doesn't seem to have "brownies", I suspect that "brownie points" was probably a phrase that started in the UK.

Yup. This Brownie of old earned Brownie Points back in the day. Think outside the Box is attributed to a UK academic. Throw in the towel was first used during a USA boxing bout early 1900's but the original phrase was throw up the sponge which did not originate in the USA.

None of the above phrases are Americanisms. Most have their origins elsewhere, from other countries, from times past. Most are freely used and commonly understood everywhere .

One that does seem to be quintessentially american not commonly used in the UK or around the globe but likely has fallen out of use there is " I'm your huckleberry. "

The irritating 'Have a nice day' may be american in origin.

Using 'best' instead of 'best wishes' or 'all the best' may be an american shortcut thing.

The use of 'going forward' rather than 'in the future' or 'from now on' may also have evolved in america. I don't know. Going forward to me means just that = a physical forward motion.

Pulaski May 4th 2019 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 12679088)
.... One that does seem to be quintessentially american not commonly used in the UK or around the globe but likely has fallen out of use there is " I'm your huckleberry. " ....

The English language is littered with idiomatic phrases, and many of them spread around the world from wherever they started, but not all do and I am not aware of "bought the farm" being used in the UK. I first heard it in the lyrics of Alice Cooper's "Hey Stoopid", where the context makes the meaning fairly clear, but Simon Whistler did Today I Found YouTube video on the phrase and whether it has any historic validity.

BEVS May 4th 2019 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12679243)
The English language is littered with idiomatic phrases.

Tiz true.

It is a slow Sunday for me so I may browse the other phrases in the link .

I had not heard of 'bought the farm' and had to look it up. Seems to mean someone 'karked it' & 'popped one's clogs'

Kooky. May 5th 2019 2:59 am

Here's another one for you: Clickbait.

kimilseung Jun 2nd 2019 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by Kooky. (Post 12679474)
Here's another one for you: Clickbait.

Agreed, ridiculous OP post.