Working in the US

Old Aug 6th 2004, 2:01 pm
GottaMove

cokey has a spectacular aura aboutcokey has a spectacular aura aboutcokey has a spectacular aura about
Default Working in the US

Hi,

I am a software developer in the UK and would like to hear from anyone that has moved to the US to work/live.

I am looking for employers at the moment to sponser my H1B visa, is there anybody that can give me some advice, help, tips or even a carrer!

Any help would be much appreciated.

Colin
Old Aug 20th 2004, 1:29 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working in the US

Originally Posted by cokey
Hi,

I am a software developer in the UK and would like to hear from anyone that has moved to the US to work/live.

I am looking for employers at the moment to sponser my H1B visa, is there anybody that can give me some advice, help, tips or even a carrer!

Colin
Good luck....getting sponsorship is a major turnoff as it's a hassle for the company...but what might help would be an awesome recommendation from somewhere big.....
Old Aug 20th 2004, 11:43 am
GottaMove

cokey has a spectacular aura aboutcokey has a spectacular aura aboutcokey has a spectacular aura about
Smile Re: Working in the US

Originally Posted by bobz
Good luck....getting sponsorship is a major turnoff as it's a hassle for the company...but what might help would be an awesome recommendation from somewhere big.....
Hey Bobz,

An awesome 'recommendation from somewhere big', like where, you have/know/are 'somewhere big'

I have the skills, the experience and the personality, just need to get into that interview.
Old Aug 20th 2004, 2:08 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Bobz,

An awesome 'recommendation from somewhere big', like where, you have/know/are 'somewhere big'

I have the skills, the experience and the personality, just need to get into that interview.
Basically to get the edge, your company has to be huge or done something really cool and then have someone high up or in something really cool write a really good recommendation that'll get noticed about what you do there that's above just work
Old Aug 24th 2004, 3:22 am
Forum Regular

pokhrea will become famous soon enoughpokhrea will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Bob
Basically to get the edge, your company has to be huge or done something really cool and then have someone high up or in something really cool write a really good recommendation that'll get noticed about what you do there that's above just work
May be I can help I was on the US for 3 years doing my MS and then on H1B for a credit card company. My company did shut down eventuallya nd I had a nightmare switching the H1B to another company. My experience is that they dont even even see your app if they sense you are from another country let not the interview. I had local degree exp but still did not get anything there so either you can pay some amount to local companies to sponsor you and then go there on H1B then switch after u get another one.
Companies are not interested and at this time IT has lost value and for H1B they need to prove so many things that I thinkg you might have to forge the idea the best one for you todo is
apply for MS in computer science at www.mum.edu
they have a good program where u can work and they wil sponsor you after u study for 1 year so many people have gone through that way so try that way which is the best for u as u can work an get a US degree at the same time
Let me know if i can help you
Anup
Old Aug 24th 2004, 9:46 am
GottaMove

pokhrea:

Thanks for replying.

I have been applying for mnay jobs and have been letting the company know that I am willing to pay them back any expenses they occur, so I guess I will just have to wait and see. My brother-in-law lives in Atlanta and his old boss used to sponser people so he has tried to put a good word in for me as well.

In terms of studying, I have 6 years further education in the UK including a BSC(hons) in computer science, so I dont really want to study any more, but I guess if that is what I have to do then I will give it a go. I would like to think that 5+ years experience and the degree would be enough.

Thanks again for you help, it is all much appreciated.

Kind Regards
Col
Old Aug 25th 2004, 2:05 pm
GottaMove

My wifes father and her brother have both become american citizens living in Atlanta.
Could they sponsor myself and my family?
If so how long would this take and how much does this cost?

It would be a great deal easier to get a job in the US if I am living there and would not require a h1b, I could get some contracting work whilst finding a permanant job.

Just an idea...any thoughts??

Col
Old Aug 25th 2004, 3:12 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

My wifes father and her brother have both become american citizens living in Atlanta.
Could they sponsor myself and my family?
If so how long would this take and how much does this cost?

It would be a great deal easier to get a job in the US if I am living there and would not require a h1b, I could get some contracting work whilst finding a permanant job.

Just an idea...any thoughts??

Col
I'm not even sure that your in-laws can sponsor you to emigrate to the US. Check on the US Immigration & Naturalization website.

If it is possible, it will mean a long wait because of the tenuous relationship you have to the sponsor (it's relatively faster if it was say your parents).

You should have a look at the US Immigration and US Visas forums to see the kind of scenarios are available to get to the US legally. Your most recent post is not really appropriate for Working in the US forum and you'll get more appropriate responses in one of the two forums I suggested BUT read and search through them first.
Old Aug 25th 2004, 3:21 pm
GottaMove

Hey,

Thanks for the reply, I will have a look in the other forum.

I should have made myself more clear in the previous question.
I did not mean my in-laws sponsor me, but sponsor my wife instead.

I will look into this in the other forum.
Thanks for all your help though.

Kind regards
Col
Old Sep 9th 2004, 4:34 pm
Forum Regular

Hugh Jaas will become famous soon enoughHugh Jaas will become famous soon enough

Hi,

Colin
Hello Cokey, what kind of software development are you in? I could get you some addresses for some computer games companies if yer like, But I dont know of thats your street? Lemme know. I dont recall any games companies in Atlanta.
Old Sep 9th 2004, 6:49 pm
GottaMove

Originally Posted by Hugh Jaas
Hello Cokey, what kind of software development are you in? I could get you some addresses for some computer games companies if yer like, But I dont know of thats your street? Lemme know. I dont recall any games companies in Atlanta.
Hey Hugh,

Thanks for the reply.

I mainly program business applications, I currently work for a gas management company developing software to manage gas flows in europeans pipelines.

I guess a majority of games programming in mostly in C/C++ and I have not done any of that since university!

My main skills are with VB, XSL/XML, Oracle, ASP, COM+. That kinda thing, basically n-tier business applications. Although I do produce ecommerce web sites as well.

If you or anybody wants to have a look at my resume then let me know, I will be happy to send to you.

Thanks again for your help.

Kind regards
Colin
Old Sep 10th 2004, 12:14 pm
Forum Regular

Hugh Jaas will become famous soon enoughHugh Jaas will become famous soon enough

Hey Hugh,

Thanks for the reply.

I mainly program business applications, I currently work for a gas management company developing software to manage gas flows in europeans pipelines.

I guess a majority of games programming in mostly in C/C++ and I have not done any of that since university!

My main skills are with VB, XSL/XML, Oracle, ASP, COM+. That kinda thing, basically n-tier business applications. Although I do produce ecommerce web sites as well.

If you or anybody wants to have a look at my resume then let me know, I will be happy to send to you.

Thanks again for your help.

Kind regards
Colin

No worries, my Brother in Law dabbles in Oracle, but he's in Luxembourg, I guess that's not much good to you. If I hear anything will let you know.
Old Oct 5th 2004, 7:54 pm
Account Closed

cabritpop is an unknown quantity at this point

Many of the IT jobs in the US are being outsourced to India and other countries and if Bush gets re-elected then it probably will not get any better. IBM had a layoff of at least 15,000 in 2002 I believe. The IT job market is flooded with IT professionals scrambling for employment at the moment here in the US.
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 4:52 am
Just Joined

sallee_05 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, has the situation improved in these past months? What about the communications networks field?
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 9:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallee_05
Hi, has the situation improved in these past months? What about the communications networks field?
Nope. As someone mentioned previously the market is flooded with I.T. "professionals"; a US citizen will have a hard time getting a job let alone someone from overseas.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.