Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Information Technology
Reload this Page >

IT work experience, for a 37 yr old, in Sydney

IT work experience, for a 37 yr old, in Sydney

Old May 20th 2011, 10:29 am
BE Enthusiast

tartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond repute
Default IT work experience, for a 37 yr old, in Sydney

I've been job hunting in Sydney for a few months now and continually hit the same catch 22 situation. I have too much experience for junior positions ("you'll get bored after a month and leave") but not enough recent experience for a more senior role.

Long story short, I've over 8 years experience as a PL/SQL developer/team lead. I moved to Oz in 2008 on PR, did a bit of travelling and for the last couple of years have been working out with IT (for a number of personal reasons).

Am now looking to get back into IT but am getting nowhere fast. To gain some experience and keep my skills fresh I was thinking about approaching companies to see if they'd be willing to take me on for a couple of days/week on some sort of work experience. I'd be willing to do this for free. I just really want to back into IT.

I was wondering if anyone, of my age (37), has ever tried this and succeeded. Do you have any tips for me about who to contact (HR or try to get the name of a specific person)? Is this the type of thing that some companies may go for, ie experienced resource for free? Does anyone know if their company could help me?

Please feel free to message me. Thanks.
Old Jul 11th 2011, 10:13 am
Just Joined

GiffardRoss will become famous soon enoughGiffardRoss will become famous soon enough
Default Re: IT work experience, for a 37 yr old, in Sydney

Why dont you try some online courses to refresh and update your skills. It will show the employers dedication.
Old Jul 11th 2011, 10:25 am
BE Enthusiast

tartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GiffardRoss
Why dont you try some online courses to refresh and update your skills. It will show the employers dedication.
Yip been there done that. Thanks for the suggestion though. It didn't make any difference.

However since starting this thread way back in May there may be some light at the end of the tunnel.
Old Jul 12th 2011, 8:18 am
Just Joined

GiffardRoss will become famous soon enoughGiffardRoss will become famous soon enough

Thats good news, so what have you got on the horizon?!