British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Information Technology (https://britishexpats.com/forum/information-technology-78/)
-   -   Work attire in Brisbane (https://britishexpats.com/forum/information-technology-78/work-attire-brisbane-444729/)

darylh Apr 24th 2007 7:49 pm

Work attire in Brisbane

Hi, I'm a Security Consultant about to make the big move to Brisbane next month. Can anyone tell me what the standard dress code is for office work in Brisbane - can I chuck my suits?

Daryl

BoredinBelfast Apr 27th 2007 7:01 pm

Re: Work attire in Brisbane

Hi Daryl, I'm afraid I have no useful info' in response to your query but I am a Security Consultant who is also hoping to head out soon perhaps Sydeny, though. Is there much security work in Bris'? Have you been able to get anything lined up from overseas?

Many thanks & best of luck for your 'move', Tom

darylh Apr 29th 2007 9:35 am

Originally Posted by BoredinBelfast (Post 4706860)
Hi Daryl, I'm afraid I have no useful info' in response to your query but I am a Security Consultant who is also hoping to head out soon perhaps Sydeny, though. Is there much security work in Bris'? Have you been able to get anything lined up from overseas?

Many thanks & best of luck for your 'move', Tom

Hi Tom, there seems to be a fair amount of work in Brisbane but I suppose that depends how much you can believe seek.com and the rest - apparently the agencies are notorious for placing fake job adverts. We'd also consider Sydney if we can't find anything in Brisbane but Sydney seems to be very expensive to live, and it's more laid back in Brisbane.

I haven't got anything lined up yet but I'm going to start to put my CV about next week. I know some people have managed to secure a job before they land but I'm not holding my breath - I can't imagine many employers taking people on without a face-to-face interview.

Daryl

cavacharva Dec 12th 2007 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by darylh (Post 4692146)
Hi, I'm a Security Consultant about to make the big move to Brisbane next month. Can anyone tell me what the standard dress code is for office work in Brisbane - can I chuck my suits?

Daryl

Hi

I'm also interested to hear an answer to the OP.

Are you generally suited and booted in Brisbane or is there a more relaxed attitude to dress code?

Cheers
Charva

darylh Dec 13th 2007 10:34 am

I'm now working in the city. The general dress code is trousers and shirt. Most people don't bother with the suit jacket as it's too hot and from what I can gather no companies expect you to wear a tie, although some people still choose to wear a tie, which amazes me.

Most companies also do a casual Friday where you can wear what you want (within reason).

Daryl

Maz Dec 18th 2007 7:10 am

In NZ's capital of Wellington if someone's wearing a tie, we all joke that they're going for an interview. :lol:

Caroline B Dec 25th 2007 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by darylh (Post 5663860)
I'm now working in the city. The general dress code is trousers and shirt. Most people don't bother with the suit jacket as it's too hot and from what I can gather no companies expect you to wear a tie, although some people still choose to wear a tie, which amazes me.

Most companies also do a casual Friday where you can wear what you want (within reason).

Daryl

I'm working in the city for an IT consultancy firm and they expect you to wear a suit :( It gets very hot! But we are in the minority

Vim Fuego Dec 26th 2007 12:46 am

Originally Posted by darylh (Post 4692146)

Daryl

I wear a tie and a jacket only to keep the warmth in in the winter (and yes, it happens, especially if you set off at 6:30am and the first real task of the day is to clear ice off the windscreen ... -6 last time ...).

Generally it's smart trousers and shirt from Mon to Thur and casual on Friday, a company branded polo is also fine where I am.

Shit, they are losing talent hand over fist, I might rock up in board shorts next year :lol: