Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Information Technology
Reload this Page >

Toronto, Canada - IT Project Manager

Toronto, Canada - IT Project Manager

Old Mar 10th 2008, 2:24 pm
GSJ
Forum Regular

GSJ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Toronto, Canada - IT Project Manager

Hi,

I've just received my Canadian PR status and was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction as to how I can find Project Management jobs in the IT sector in Toronto?

I'm currently a Project Manager in London and have worked for some of the world's biggest corporations. I have no idea as to how I would find similar roles in the large corporations based in Toronto.

Can anyone advise / recommend websites?

Many thanks.
Old Apr 5th 2008, 11:56 am
BE Enthusiast

live2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nice
Default Re: Toronto, Canada - IT Project Manager

Hi GSJ,

Just one advice from me. Do your homework, make a social network, 70% jobs are never advertised (as they are taken through personal references)

Tell everyone you know in Canada that you are looking for a job.

I don't understand, you have such a nice job in UK and you wanna go to Canada? and start your career from scratch with no job offer.

Anyways, there is a good side in everything Now, look for classified ads. contact agencies, read newspapers.

In short, do you homework before moving to a new place.

See how good the weather is, check the cost of living etc. Compare it with where you are living now. Is is economical. If not, then are you gonna be paid higher there.

Look at things from every angle.

Let me know if it was helpful to you.

Cheers!

Originally Posted by GSJ
Hi,

I've just received my Canadian PR status and was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction as to how I can find Project Management jobs in the IT sector in Toronto?

I'm currently a Project Manager in London and have worked for some of the world's biggest corporations. I have no idea as to how I would find similar roles in the large corporations based in Toronto.

Many thanks.

Last edited by live2learn; Apr 5th 2008 at 12:02 pm.
Old Apr 5th 2008, 3:44 pm
GSJ
Forum Regular

Hi, thanks for replying. Reason for wanting to emigrate to Canada is due to a better standard of living, lower crime rate, better education system. I don't like the thought of my son (currently 1 years old) going to school in the UK due to crimes commited by youngsters / gangs / hoodies that seem to be commiting most of the crime.

Career wise I have had no problems progressing in the UK however I'm thinking about a better standard of living/future for my family. Looking on job sites I've noticed the wages for IT Project Managers seem to be lower than London. Based on past holidays to Toronto the expenses seem to be similar to those of the UK but I'm not sure if thats because I was spending as a tourist?

Regarding the 'networking' for finding jobs in Toronto, is this the case even for positions in large corporations as this is not the practice in the UK unless you're a financial trader / lawyer for a top city law firm?

The plan was to go out there for a few years, obtain citizenship and then decide where we were more suited to living - UK / Canada.
Old Apr 6th 2008, 4:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

live2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nice

Hey GSJ,

if your primary aim is to get the canadian citizenship. How about a UK citizenship, aren't you in UK now? UK citizenship is as good as Canadian citizenship. To me its just the same.

Ok how about going to Australia GSJ. Because I am planning to go to Australia. Filed my application too.

What more have you heard about Australia.

I need your feedback GSJ.

Cheers!

Originally Posted by GSJ
Hi, thanks for replying. Reason for wanting to emigrate to Canada is due to a better standard of living, lower crime rate, better education system. I don't like the thought of my son (currently 1 years old) going to school in the UK due to crimes commited by youngsters / gangs / hoodies that seem to be commiting most of the crime.

Career wise I have had no problems progressing in the UK however I'm thinking about a better standard of living/future for my family. Looking on job sites I've noticed the wages for IT Project Managers seem to be lower than London. Based on past holidays to Toronto the expenses seem to be similar to those of the UK but I'm not sure if thats because I was spending as a tourist?

Regarding the 'networking' for finding jobs in Toronto, is this the case even for positions in large corporations as this is not the practice in the UK unless you're a financial trader / lawyer for a top city law firm?

The plan was to go out there for a few years, obtain citizenship and then decide where we were more suited to living - UK / Canada.
Old Apr 7th 2008, 9:05 am
GSJ
Forum Regular

Hi, I yes I was born in the UK but am considering other options as the countries future does not look to good in terms of crime/education/standard of living.

Canada seems to be the better option as its not as far as Australia.
Old Apr 7th 2008, 8:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

So Australia is not a bad choice too.. is it?

Canada has snow most of the year but UK has the best weather. Its moderate it seems.

Australia is tropical. I'm planning to go to Melbourne once my visa gets through

How far is your case for Canadian immigration. Are you half way through?

Originally Posted by GSJ
Hi, I yes I was born in the UK but am considering other options as the countries future does not look to good in terms of crime/education/standard of living.

Canada seems to be the better option as its not as far as Australia.
Old May 24th 2008, 5:01 am
Just Joined

blobhead is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by GSJ
Hi,

Many thanks.
Don't do it - big mistake!
Old Jun 4th 2008, 12:55 am
Just Joined

Kepler is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi blobhead,

Could you please explain why do you think this is a mistake?

Tks