IT skills shortage

Old May 12th 2007, 6:33 pm
Forum Regular

stuckinswansea will become famous soon enoughstuckinswansea will become famous soon enough
Default Re: IT skills shortage

Originally Posted by ed_the_lad
Yes, its a senior Cisco role, $450 per day, thanks all!!

Hi Ed, How's the first few weeks been?

Any comments on working in a Cisco role in Melbourne?
Where do networks sit in Oz organisations?
Is it under the IT manager or Telcomms/Infrastructure or does it stand alone?
Any other comments ?

(bunch of slave drivers/slackers ..... cutting edge/catching up)

Anyway, hope it's working for you.

Kevin
Old May 15th 2007, 3:27 am
Forum Regular

ed_the_lad is just really niceed_the_lad is just really niceed_the_lad is just really niceed_the_lad is just really niceed_the_lad is just really niceed_the_lad is just really niceed_the_lad is just really niceed_the_lad is just really niceed_the_lad is just really nice

Three weeks in everything is going fine, i'm working with CatOS daily and now i'm completely up to speed with it.I dont see too many difference between here and Europe, you still get the same mix of individuals, i've got one on my team that seems a little threatened by by arrival, another guy about 25 who thinks he's God until he makes a f*** up.
Where the network sits in the organization really depends on what the bread and butter of the company you work for is.My company resolves around customer networks and thats the focus, so it will be under Telcomms/Infrastructure.If i worked for a bank where the network is a necessary evil it would fall under the IT manager.
Last week i was told by one of the senior engineers who hired me to be less proactive and let the customer explored all avenues before providing support.I basically cut the job time from 8 hrs to 4hrs by fixing their configurations prior to implementation, now i'm told to let them implement incorrectly first and fix later.If these are the games i must play to get extended then lets play ball :-)
Old Aug 28th 2007, 9:55 am
Forum Regular

chmaiden has a spectacular aura aboutchmaiden has a spectacular aura aboutchmaiden has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by ed_the_lad
Three weeks in everything is going fine, i'm working with CatOS daily and now i'm completely up to speed with it.I dont see too many difference between here and Europe, you still get the same mix of individuals, i've got one on my team that seems a little threatened by by arrival, another guy about 25 who thinks he's God until he makes a f*** up.
Where the network sits in the organization really depends on what the bread and butter of the company you work for is.My company resolves around customer networks and thats the focus, so it will be under Telcomms/Infrastructure.If i worked for a bank where the network is a necessary evil it would fall under the IT manager.
Last week i was told by one of the senior engineers who hired me to be less proactive and let the customer explored all avenues before providing support.I basically cut the job time from 8 hrs to 4hrs by fixing their configurations prior to implementation, now i'm told to let them implement incorrectly first and fix later.If these are the games i must play to get extended then lets play ball :-)
what agencies did you use Ed? Am arriving in 3 weeks and want to stat asap!
cheers