British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Information Technology (https://britishexpats.com/forum/information-technology-78/)
-   -   Queries on IT jobs and Oz Travel!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/information-technology-78/queries-jobs-oz-travel-655581/)

deepsea Feb 19th 2010 1:35 am

Queries on IT jobs and Oz Travel!!

Hi folks,

After going through some of the posts, I still have some clarifications on jobs and travel in Oz.

Firstly, how are the opportunities for a C/C++/Linux or Win32 developers ? What salaries can one expect ? Would they consider my work experience in my home country ? Are there a lot of software productor development or service companies in Australia ?

I also checked out some of the job portals, it looks like Sydney is the IT capital which has quite a few opportunities for IT professionals compared to other cities ?

Really appriciate members to help with some answers.

Thanks in advance,
Deep

ukkiwi Feb 19th 2010 12:39 pm

Re: Queries on IT jobs and Oz Travel!!

Yes Syndey and Melbourne have the most jobs and yes there's plenty of development companies in Aus.

No idea about salaries - though there's a hays aussie\nz salary survey you can find on the web if you search for it.

You'll get a lot more responces posting in the main aussie forum.

deepsea Feb 20th 2010 12:43 am

Originally Posted by ukkiwi (Post 8357551)
Yes Syndey and Melbourne have the most jobs and yes there's plenty of development companies in Aus.

No idea about salaries - though there's a hays aussie\nz salary survey you can find on the web if you search for it.

You'll get a lot more responces posting in the main aussie forum.

Can you please let me know in which forum I should post ?

Also can you tell me which time of the year is best to come to Oz, considering job market is good ?

5u5an Feb 22nd 2010 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by deepsea (Post 8359399)
Can you please let me know in which forum I should post ?

Also can you tell me which time of the year is best to come to Oz, considering job market is good ?

Hi deepsea,

Check out www.seek.com.au and search for jobs in the different cities in your area. I've been looking for a number of months (I'm going to Sydney next month) and my area seems to be increasing in opportunities month on month. Some ads have salaries, most don't though.

Do you have a valid visa, and where would you like to live?

deepsea Feb 23rd 2010 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by 5u5an (Post 8365085)
Hi deepsea,

Check out www.seek.com.au and search for jobs in the different cities in your area. I've been looking for a number of months (I'm going to Sydney next month) and my area seems to be increasing in opportunities month on month. Some ads have salaries, most don't though.

Do you have a valid visa, and where would you like to live?

Thanks Susan and ukkiwi. I have a valid visa, have not dicided to move yet. I am deciding between my whether to wait for somemore time and move to australia before the end of 2010 or move right now. Can you let me know during what time of the year should on come to Aus looking for jobs. Some places like UK, jobs open up during jan - mar time and gradually slows down towards the end of the year. How is it in Aus ?

Does anyone have any idea on an average how long it would take for a good skillful person to get ajob ?

Also looking for an shared accomodation after landing can someone suggest any place ( or forums where I can find some info ) in sydney ?

Thanks in adance.

5u5an Feb 24th 2010 10:58 am

Originally Posted by deepsea (Post 8368146)
Thanks Susan and ukkiwi. I have a valid visa, have not dicided to move yet. I am deciding between my whether to wait for somemore time and move to australia before the end of 2010 or move right now. Can you let me know during what time of the year should on come to Aus looking for jobs. Some places like UK, jobs open up during jan - mar time and gradually slows down towards the end of the year. How is it in Aus ?

Does anyone have any idea on an average how long it would take for a good skillful person to get ajob ?

Also looking for an shared accomodation after landing can someone suggest any place ( or forums where I can find some info ) in sydney ?

Thanks in adance.

Hi deepsea,

Everyone takes different times from what I have read, though obviously those who take more time tend to have more time to post on the forums. I've been told that any time after Australia Day is fine but I saw plenty over Christmas and New Year too. In the UK there are trends but generally I think its just what major projects are ramping up and how flexible you are.

As for accomodation, I guess you're not bringing a family if you are looking for shared accomodation? We're staying in a hostel - check out www.hostelworld.com or others, as they often have en-suite, free wi-fi (perfect for job hunting!) and even pools! Plus there's not committment or bills to pay if you need to be mobile at first.

Take the plunge! BTW which part of India are you from? I was there this time last year...

deepsea Feb 24th 2010 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by 5u5an (Post 8370673)
Hi deepsea,

Everyone takes different times from what I have read, though obviously those who take more time tend to have more time to post on the forums. I've been told that any time after Australia Day is fine but I saw plenty over Christmas and New Year too. In the UK there are trends but generally I think its just what major projects are ramping up and how flexible you are.

As for accomodation, I guess you're not bringing a family if you are looking for shared accomodation? We're staying in a hostel - check out www.hostelworld.com or others, as they often have en-suite, free wi-fi (perfect for job hunting!) and even pools! Plus there's not committment or bills to pay if you need to be mobile at first.

Take the plunge! BTW which part of India are you from? I was there this time last year...

Susan , Thank you links and info. I am from Mumbai, living in Bangalore right now. I'll look into this later tommorrow and get back.

5u5an Feb 24th 2010 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by deepsea (Post 8371026)
Susan , Thank you links and info. I am from Mumbai, living in Bangalore right now. I'll look into this later tommorrow and get back.

I ask because many of my friends from India (esp. South) have suffered skin and health problems moving to the cold cold uk, so maybe think about what weather you would like to live and work in too. I don't think I could stick QLD myself so we're going to NSW. They often say that sunshine is one of the main reasons people want to migrate to Oz... I got sick of the factor 50 sunscreen (and covering up) last year.

deepsea Feb 25th 2010 12:58 am

Originally Posted by 5u5an (Post 8372465)
I ask because many of my friends from India (esp. South) have suffered skin and health problems moving to the cold cold uk, so maybe think about what weather you would like to live and work in too. I don't think I could stick QLD myself so we're going to NSW. They often say that sunshine is one of the main reasons people want to migrate to Oz... I got sick of the factor 50 sunscreen (and covering up) last year.

Sorry to hear that. What kind of health and skin problems did your friends from India happen to go through ?

"cold cold uk" - do you mean UK / Oz ?

I thought QLD was much warmer than NSW ? Winters in Sydney are too harsh during April to Nov ?

I am not an expert in this, but from what I have read - many of the sunscreens are not good enough and do more harm on your skin in a long term.