British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Information Technology (https://britishexpats.com/forum/information-technology-78/)
-   -   IT Project Manager - Canada / UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/information-technology-78/project-manager-canada-uk-515124/)

Anne Feb 17th 2008 9:51 pm

IT Project Manager - Canada / UK

I'm a Brit and have lived in Toronto, Canada for the last 5 years. Came over as permanent residents and am now a Canadian Citizen.

The job market in Canada is weak at the moment and after 7 months of trying to find suitable work, I've had to look further afield and have landed a contract in London England for 12 months.

Just out of curiosity is there anyone out there in a similar position? If so how do you keep the Canadian / UK tax man in the right side?

Any comments welcome.

A

blobhead May 24th 2008 5:07 am

Re: IT Project Manager - Canada / UK

Originally Posted by Anne (Post 5946529)
I'm a Brit and have lived in Toronto, Canada for the last 5 years. Came over as permanent residents and am now a Canadian Citizen.

The job market in Canada is weak at the moment and after 7 months of trying to find suitable work, I've had to look further afield and have landed a contract in London England for 12 months.

Just out of curiosity is there anyone out there in a similar position? If so how do you keep the Canadian / UK tax man in the right side?

Any comments welcome.

A

Forget about Canada - it's a dead end!

Anne Jun 2nd 2008 4:42 pm

Hi blobhead - Where do you live?

Kepler Jun 4th 2008 12:50 am

Hi Anne,

I´m afraid I don´t have an answer for you question but would appreciate your help on this...

I was planning to move to Toronto this year and look for IT Project Manager jobs. Do you think it´s not a good moment for this move? What do you mean by "suitable work"?

Thanks.
K

Anne Jun 5th 2008 12:00 pm

Hi Kepler - Fristly my post was written on behalf of my husband who is in IT project management. He looked for work here in Toronto from July 2007 to March 2008 and although he was offered a couple of permanent jobs (nothing exciting), there was no contract work. Instead he's now over in the UK, landed a contract immediately and is there for 6 months. His line of work is implementing IT systems. There is hidden job market here in Canada. They have employment agencies but it's really all about referrals and who you know. Hope this helps.

Dave+Jules Jul 22nd 2008 2:56 am

The trick is to take some permanent work, build up a reputation then switch to contract. I live in NB and I think there is quite a demand for IT PM's (get PMP certified and it will help)

mcdavis Nov 19th 2008 11:09 am

Very interested to hear your comments as I am an experienced IT Manager / Project Manager with PMP certification, and we are looking to move to Canada. Our preference is either PEI, NS, NB or Calgary - however, the job market seems a lot better in the Calgary area.

Would appreciate any suggestions you have on looking for IT jobs in the PEI, NS, NB area ?

Martin.

Dave+Jules Nov 19th 2008 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by mcdavis (Post 6988762)
Very interested to hear your comments as I am an experienced IT Manager / Project Manager with PMP certification, and we are looking to move to Canada. Our preference is either PEI, NS, NB or Calgary - however, the job market seems a lot better in the Calgary area.

Would appreciate any suggestions you have on looking for IT jobs in the PEI, NS, NB area ?

Martin.

Have you tried www.NBjobs.ca ? or www.careerbeacon.com (for Atlantic Canada wide jobs)

mcdavis Nov 19th 2008 9:06 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. :D