British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Information Technology (https://britishexpats.com/forum/information-technology-78/)
-   -   IT Project Manager (https://britishexpats.com/forum/information-technology-78/project-manager-397107/)

Buzzy--Bee Mar 25th 2008 8:59 pm

Re: IT Project Manager

Can't answer 2. but with regard to 1. I think you would find Melbourne and Sydney would be the best due to their size. Brisbane is good too right now.

Buzzy

Gnarrabup Sep 15th 2008 7:24 am

In the light of the current changes on the market it would be interesting to discuss any noticed changes in demand in IT in general and IT PM opportunies specifically. What news do we have?

Looking at the job boards it seems quite a lot of jobs still keep coming in? Don't know how many are for real though?

We have just gotten visa grants (we were probably the last ones to apply off line - and had to wait another six months for not hooking onto the e-visa trend) and are looking at landing in Perth for a probationary six months this winter.

Any updates are appreciated.

Buzzy--Bee Sep 15th 2008 7:47 am

Perth is still an area where large companies are recruiting aggressively. My company is offering employees relocations to Perth to meet the greater demand there.

I am not tempted as I love the lifestyle in Melbourne too much!

Buzzy

chaval Sep 18th 2008 11:07 am

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee (Post 6110643)
Can't answer 2. but with regard to 1. I think you would find Melbourne and Sydney would be the best due to their size. Brisbane is good too right now.

Buzzy

brisbane good....dont think so...small number of agancies all chasing the same jobs...most with government...

tonik25 Sep 19th 2008 2:49 am

Originally Posted by chaval (Post 6795881)
brisbane good....dont think so...small number of agancies all chasing the same jobs...most with government...

My experience of Brisbane is different. I work as an IT PM in Brisbane and we have real trouble getting good PM's. I got about 1 call a week from various agencies asking me if I am available. There is certainly plently of work for IT PM's in Brisbane if you look in the right places.

chaval Sep 19th 2008 10:55 am

Originally Posted by tonik25 (Post 6798619)
My experience of Brisbane is different. I work as an IT PM in Brisbane and we have real trouble getting good PM's. I got about 1 call a week from various agencies asking me if I am available. There is certainly plently of work for IT PM's in Brisbane if you look in the right places.

u maybe right....maybe im not good lol....however as mentioned before most of the agencies aint got a chuffin clue what skills or epxerience you might need...or which are IT based...

good luck

chasmw Jan 7th 2009 10:00 pm

Hi,
I'm looking to get an IT PM job in Perth asap. I'm PRINCE2 and PMI certified - approx 9 years experience as a PM, 20 in total in IT.

I'm hearing the market is extremely hard at the moment. Can anyone give me a view on how it is?

Also - is it possible to get a job whilst still in the UK or do I need to be in Perth?
Any advice greatly appreciated!

nickzeff Feb 10th 2009 9:31 pm

I also am interested to know how the market is for IT project managers at the moment in Perth. I'm PRINCE2 qualified with around 3 years of PM experience. I have about 10-12 years of technical IT experience also.

Have the jobs dried up yet? If not, what could someone with my experience hope to earn? Hard to tell from the stats and job info on the recruitment sites.

Be useful to hear from anybody with some inside knowledge!

Cheers

N

vickyandrob Apr 11th 2009 10:38 am

Just thought I would bump this hoping someone can advise on current IT employment prospects.

OH is oracle apex and pl/sql if that means anything to anyone!

Vicky x

ukkiwi Apr 12th 2009 9:53 am

Originally Posted by vickyandrob (Post 7471015)
Just thought I would bump this hoping someone can advise on current IT employment prospects.

OH is oracle apex and pl/sql if that means anything to anyone!

Vicky x

Where?

vickyandrob Apr 12th 2009 11:24 am

Originally Posted by ukkiwi (Post 7472859)
Where?

Sorry, Perth!

If no jobs there, we will go where there are jobs available

Thanks

RoamingExpat Jun 13th 2009 11:51 pm

Are there many large IT firms in Australia who are hiring now?

Buzzy--Bee Jun 14th 2009 4:36 am

Originally Posted by RoamingExpat (Post 7662261)
Are there many large IT firms in Australia who are hiring now?

Yes, I need 2 x PMs with data network / Cisco / layer 3 PMing experience right now. One position is confirmed, the other will hopefully be approved this week.

Need CVs please, for start in 1 - 2 months.

Massive global IT company - the positions are in Melbourne.

Buzzy

jmoseley Jul 22nd 2009 12:22 pm

Ive been here since April 09 and only had 1 interview (QH) Ive had over 15 years IT experience with Prince 2 qualification. Being told that recruiters will recruit aussies ahead of migrants :( So If anyone knows of any IT PM or IT Managers positions....please let me know?
Thanks

Alejandro Dec 3rd 2009 5:42 am

Originally Posted by stebo (Post 3922557)
Hi all,

I got my PR I and will be going to Oz in January :) . I'm hoping to travel round all the major cities first to see the country and decide where to live but then I guess I'll have to settle back into work.

I was hoping someone else on BE had migrated to Oz and got work as a Contract/Perm IT Project Manager and if so how easy they found it, what qualifications they had (prince2, PMP, etc) and where in the country they got their job?

Any other advice on being a PM in Oz would be great.

Thanks all......

Hi...

Really it was nice post. Useful information has been given. The post seems to be very informative one. Personally I think it will be very useful for the readers.