British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Information Technology (https://britishexpats.com/forum/information-technology-78/)
-   -   Lotus Technologies (https://britishexpats.com/forum/information-technology-78/lotus-technologies-444435/)

CynOpt Apr 23rd 2007 7:10 pm

Lotus Technologies

I'm almost scared to ask but here goes.....

I'm just trying to get some idea of the usage of Lotus technologies (Notes/Domino/Quickplace/Sametime) in Melbourne.

Could people let me know if it's in use where they work, and if not, what do people use for mail/collaboration/communication/web apps/IM/web conferencing software.

I get the impression I would be better off contacting companies directly rather than going through agencies, so I'd like to get an idea of what % of companies actually use it.

Thanks

hoofie2002 Apr 26th 2007 11:48 am

Re: Lotus Technologies

Originally Posted by CynOpt (Post 4686313)
I'm almost scared to ask but here goes.....

I'm just trying to get some idea of the usage of Lotus technologies (Notes/Domino/Quickplace/Sametime) in Melbourne.

Could people let me know if it's in use where they work, and if not, what do people use for mail/collaboration/communication/web apps/IM/web conferencing software.

I get the impression I would be better off contacting companies directly rather than going through agencies, so I'd like to get an idea of what % of companies actually use it.

Thanks

Don't know directly but I DO know that HBOSA/Bankwest use Notes throughout for email/calendar/knowhow - god do I hate it!

Maz Apr 28th 2007 2:49 am

Originally Posted by hoofie2002 (Post 4699665)
Don't know directly but I DO know that HBOSA/Bankwest use Notes throughout for email/calendar/knowhow - god do I hate it!

That's because the developers obviously have no clue. ;) Also, many people think that Notes isn't good at finance stuff. I've worked on a very in-depth financial database in Notes for the past 2 1/2 years and am currently patenting the design. :thumbup:

To the OP, I'm sorry, but I don't know where you'd start. I do know that in NZ, where we were recently, the banks and gov't agencies in Wellington pretty much exclusively go through agencies to get their staff. They use them as a job bank and vacancies are very rarely publicly advertised.

Obviously, IBM & their software group (of which the former Lotus is a swallowed part now) use Notes, but apart from that... actually one way to find out is to google banks and government departments, then look at the URL to see if it's run by a Notes db!

Best of luck!

hoofie2002 May 1st 2007 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by Maz (Post 4708669)
That's because the developers obviously have no clue. ;)

As a developer, I'd have to agree with that :thumbup:

It's just a personal experience of suddenly using it for email, calendar after being used to Exchange for years ! [I'm no Microsoft fan - too much experience of unfinished products/tools - but it beats the pants off anything else]

CynOpt May 1st 2007 7:27 pm

Thanks guys, can't believe I forgot the old "Check their website for .nsf" trick.
And yes, I 100% agree, if you hate Notes, its because you have cr*p developers at your company, all our new apps are Ajax front end, notes back end, users love em'.
When people at new companies said to me that they hated notes, I used to ask them if they hated the internet just because they had used a few bad sites.