British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Information Technology (https://britishexpats.com/forum/information-technology-78/)
-   -   Looking to apply on a 457 visa (https://britishexpats.com/forum/information-technology-78/looking-apply-457-visa-490121/)

Katya_Mark Oct 28th 2007 3:58 pm

Looking to apply on a 457 visa

My husband is an IT PM and we are hoping to apply on a 457 visa, as soon as possible :p Can anyone recommend any companies that may have suitable vacancies? He has 8 years experience and works mainly on Infrastructure Projects.

Thank you in advance!

Jasonmb Oct 28th 2007 7:42 pm

Re: Looking to apply on a 457 visa

Originally Posted by Katya_Mark (Post 5479210)
My husband is an IT PM and we are hoping to apply on a 457 visa, as soon as possible :p Can anyone recommend any companies that may have suitable vacancies? He has 8 years experience and works mainly on Infrastructure Projects.

Thank you in advance!

Hi

I have been very lucky to secure a 457 through interviews in London with this company, got the contract on Saturday morning :thumbsup: Looks like we will be over Februry next year, just enough time to enjoy christmas and sort everything here.

The London interviews are now over, but if you are going over for a reccie they may interview you. You want to contact Merv and have a chat with him, he has been a great contact for us:thumbsup:

Have a look at this thread.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=480644

Jason

Katya_Mark Oct 28th 2007 8:12 pm

Lucky you, congratulations! We had already seen this company, and he has sent over his cv, but sadly I don't think he would be able to fly over for an interview. Oh well, will see what they say. :)

Jasonmb Oct 28th 2007 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by Katya_Mark (Post 5479970)
Lucky you, congratulations! We had already seen this company, and he has sent over his cv, but sadly I don't think he would be able to fly over for an interview. Oh well, will see what they say. :)

Hi

Have a look at these, Oh was offered a job with them earlier this year after just 2 early morning telephone interviews. We turned it down as the re-location assistance was non existant and we knew we were ongoing with the SMS interviews.

http://www.telecom.co.nz/content/0,8....html?link=rdt

Good Luck with your search:thumbsup:.

I will try and remember some of the recruitment companies who were good with us, getting back to emails etc, we did have them saved but were broken into and our lap top stolen, so will take some time to figure out who was where:curse:.

But we were told in no uncertain terms that to be offered a job from Uk was very slim, not impossible but ................, sorry not what you want to hear and I really don't want to be negative, I know that we were very, very lucky:thumbsup:,

We had planned for OH to fly out alone for a week to job hunt, had we not been offered this job, so it may be something that you have to consider:confused:

Tracy (Jason's OH)

Katya_Mark Oct 28th 2007 8:46 pm

Thanks so much for the links, I really appreciate the help. I guess we would down the road, Mark is going to an Expo in London next weekend, so we shall see if that brings anything positive. He is able to apply for PR in about 18 months, so we will do that if nothing comes up, but we are very impatient :D

Jasonmb Oct 28th 2007 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by Katya_Mark (Post 5480116)
Thanks so much for the links, I really appreciate the help. I guess we would down the road, Mark is going to an Expo in London next weekend, so we shall see if that brings anything positive. He is able to apply for PR in about 18 months, so we will do that if nothing comes up, but we are very impatient :D

Hi

We got the link to Telecom Nz - Gen-i from a contact at the Expo in London earlier this year and also made a couple of recruitment contacts, for us it was worth going:thumbsup:. It is a difficult decision to make and an expensive outlay to fly across just for interviews, but if needs must and for us need must:thumbdown:, we don't have the points for PR so this was our only option, once we get the Oz work experience we have the points but need the 457 to get the work experience - catch 22.

I can understand why you are impatient, we were too, have you got your ACS assessment, theire are some good agents on here who can help with that if you are going for PR :thumbsup:

If you need anything else please feel free to PM us,

Good Luck
Tracy & Jason

Katya_Mark Oct 28th 2007 10:26 pm

We don't have the points for PR either, we will do in 18 months though..... Fingers crossed eh - I am really pleased things have worked out for you anyway!

Jasonmb Oct 28th 2007 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by Katya_Mark (Post 5480776)
We don't have the points for PR either, we will do in 18 months though..... Fingers crossed eh - I am really pleased things have worked out for you anyway!

In 18 months we will lose points due to hubby being over 40 at that point:thumbsup::thumbsup: One of the reasons we can't wait :thumbsup:

We know we are lucky, very lucky and hopefully you will be too. We started looking at this in January this year, so it has taken time to be where we are now and lots of late nights / early mornings with recruitment agencies and also on seek etc applying of jobs:eek:.

There are agencies who can organise a 457 for you, like an umbrella company, but you have to have a job offer to get the visa. Now our theory was, if we get the job we can get the visa, (we already had this approval) so when we responded to adverts we said that we were able to work in Oz - well we were if we got the job:o

Jason & Tracy

Caroline B Dec 25th 2007 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by Katya_Mark (Post 5479970)

Katya
I work for SMS and came over on a 457 VISA. If you come over on a 457 visa, it may be possible to get employer sponsored PR after 2 years. SMS recruit from the UK and are back again interviewing in March, so if you want to know more, PM me.

AndyR Dec 26th 2007 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by Caroline B (Post 5704426)
Katya
I work for SMS and came over on a 457 VISA. If you come over on a 457 visa, it may be possible to get employer sponsored PR after 2 years. SMS recruit from the UK and are back again interviewing in March, so if you want to know more, PM me.

What sort of company is SMS? I'll be looking at coming over this year and will likely be trying for a 457 visa at the time.

edie209 Dec 27th 2007 12:07 pm

Katya
That goes for me too, I could be looking for a 457 Visa depending on my ACS appeal I have Systems Manager but they didn't include my security skills:(

Jasonmb Dec 27th 2007 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by AndyR (Post 5705912)
What sort of company is SMS? I'll be looking at coming over this year and will likely be trying for a 457 visa at the time.

Hi Andy

If you take a look at smsmt.com, with the www bit in front (not sure if I can put the link on here) it tells you about the company. I have been recruited from the UK interviews and start in March 08, we are just waiting for the visa.

Jason

AndyR Dec 31st 2007 7:13 am

Originally Posted by Jasonmb (Post 5708803)
Hi Andy

If you take a look at smsmt.com, with the www bit in front (not sure if I can put the link on here) it tells you about the company. I have been recruited from the UK interviews and start in March 08, we are just waiting for the visa.

Jason

Thanks, will have a look and keep an eye out for the recruitment in 2008.