IT Jobs in Toronto

Old Dec 5th 2004, 2:38 pm
Forum Regular

Bakerboy1977 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default IT Jobs in Toronto

My wife and I are planning to move to Toronto from the UK. I am an IT Service Engineer, mostly hardware installation & support. Do you think there would be many opportunities in Toronto?
Old Dec 5th 2004, 5:25 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IT Jobs in Toronto

Originally Posted by Bakerboy1977
My wife and I are planning to move to Toronto from the UK. I am an IT Service Engineer, mostly hardware installation & support. Do you think there would be many opportunities in Toronto?
Well, there's probably oodles of job websites you could search on for jobs in your specific speciality based in Toronto.

Have you looked? If not, that's what you should do.

Also, have a look at the job section in Toronto newspapers. I don't know any by name but you work in IT so I should think should be able to find such websites.
Old Dec 29th 2004, 12:43 pm
Banned

Sharmagirl will become famous soon enoughSharmagirl will become famous soon enough

Funnily enough - I doubt it. Well let me refrase that "lots of jobs crap wages!!"

The IT market is flooded. You need to have a strong IT educational background and I would guess 5+ years.

My Hubby is a Strategic Network Manager/Designer for a Foundation Trust in the NHS. And he had to move from Canada to the UK to find decent work. lol

Back in Toronto about 5-6 years ago the Ontario Government did a wonderful thing -- they provided free training to people in the welfare (social) system to get them back to work. This caused a flood of low grade (ie CCNA MSCE) computer professionals in the workforce. A few people I knew took advantage of this. While this was a good thing for many it made the IT market "lose" it's eliteness.

I would suggest using www.workopolis.com it is Canadian wide and seems to be better than the HRDC site. Also the IT maket in Canada is very specialized and very different than the IT market here in Britian.

Best of Luck to you - Canada is a beautiful place and for the most part Toronto is a fantastic cultural experience for the openminded.

All the best

Sharma
Old Jan 16th 2005, 5:34 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Well, there's probably oodles of job websites you could search on for jobs in your specific speciality based in Toronto.

Have you looked? If not, that's what you should do.

Also, have a look at the job section in Toronto newspapers. I don't know any by name but you work in IT so I should think should be able to find such websites.

This is so NOT THE WAY TO FIND A JOB IN CANADA.

Canadian job market is all about personal contacts and networking, who you know, not what you know. And then there is the "canadian experience required" catch 22 on top of that.

Advertised jobs are thought to be between 5 and 20% of the opportunites out there, but the hidden market is hard to crack as a newcommer, and IT is suffering from a lot of qualified candidates looking for work after the dot com bust.