British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Information Technology (https://britishexpats.com/forum/information-technology-78/)
-   -   Jobs in Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/information-technology-78/jobs-australia-255053/)

Haktahsin Sep 16th 2004 6:39 pm

Jobs in Australia

Is it worth me applying for any IT jobs in Melbourne/Sydney without having a Visa???

Cheers

JAJ Sep 20th 2004 3:18 am

Re: Jobs in Australia

Originally Posted by Haktahsin
Is it worth me applying for any IT jobs in Melbourne/Sydney without having a Visa???

Cheers

Unless you've got some special skills they can't find locally - or unless the job is located somewhere remote where Australians don't want to work - you're likely going to be wasting your time.

Normally the way to find a job is to get a permanent residence visa, arrive in Australia, and then you at least will be able to compete with others.

Jeremy

CornishPasty Sep 20th 2004 4:08 am

Originally Posted by JAJ
Unless you've got some special skills they can't find locally - or unless the job is located somewhere remote where Australians don't want to work - you're likely going to be wasting your time.

Normally the way to find a job is to get a permanent residence visa, arrive in Australia, and then you at least will be able to compete with others.

Jeremy

I agree unfortunately. I am a recruitment consultant and though many overseas ppl have great skills, the logistics of going forward can be a real negative. Even if you are coming over within 2-3 months, if there is someone local with the same skills the employer is going to want to go towards them. Its just less hassle regarding interviews, face to face meetings and the fact that once you do get here you will have so many other things happening to begin with you will not be 100% on the job.

There are clients who ask us to look overseas, generally as they are looking for certain skills which are hard to find here. These jobs will generally mention the fact that overseas applicants are welcome to apply. Some even offer sponsorship.

You will certainly have much more luck once you are on the ground, however if you want a head start, send in your C.Vs to companies/agencies no earlier than a month before you arrive. Dont apply for anythin in specific, but it can be worth getting on the database. Always include a date of arrival so they will know if its worth considering you. I recommend talking to ppl so you are on the radar and your situation is understood. for a start, if you start enquiring too early, ppl will have forgotten about you by the time you get here! (imagine the hundreds of CVs we go through a day)

Just dont panic, once your here you can see as many ppl as you want, and will probably achieve ten fold what you could being back home. My recommendation until you arrive is build up an understanding of the market you are in over here for the location, work out what you are worth in Aussie money, not uk etc. See what companies are in your location who are potential employers, check out local agencies, or ones in papers/online that advertise jobs which you would go for.

So now you have an idea of the market, what agencies and companies there are, what they are looking for and what you can bring to them and what your worth. This is great homework and will ensure you hit the ground running when you arrive.

hockeykid Sep 24th 2004 10:24 am

What about Part Time or Full Time working as Sales Assistance, Retail/Shop Assistance or Waiter/Waitress. Is it very difficult to find these job.

Does anyone from offshore found job in Australia? :beer:

frufrublu Sep 24th 2004 11:26 am

Originally Posted by Haktahsin

Cheers

hi there

my sister applied for jobs before she got her visa and the replies that were positive she sent with her visa application to show that she was employable she has now been resident in sydney for 8 years, you could send the positive ones with your skill assessment how can it hurt ????????

sam- :)

JAJ Sep 26th 2004 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by CornishPasty
I agree unfortunately. I am a recruitment consultant and though many overseas ppl have great skills, the logistics of going forward can be a real negative. Even if you are coming over within 2-3 months, if there is someone local with the same skills the employer is going to want to go towards them.

Australian recruitment people also get lots of emails, CVs etc from overseas people who are just thinking about the idea of going to Australia and are not really all that serious about it.

If you've gone to the trouble of getting a PR visa, and getting yourself physically to Australia, recruitment consultants and employers will know you're likely to be fairly serious about settling in Australia.

Jeremy

JAJ Sep 26th 2004 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by hockeykid
What about Part Time or Full Time working as Sales Assistance, Retail/Shop Assistance or Waiter/Waitress. Is it very difficult to find these job.

Does anyone from offshore found job in Australia? :beer:

There's lot of competition for non-skilled jobs like those you mention. Find one from overseas? - in general, forget about it. And if that's your real occupation overseas, migration is going to be difficult or impossible.

Jeremy