i.t jobs

Old May 18th 2004, 4:06 am
Forum Regular

daveuk1965 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yep, there`s three near home on Jobserve. ;-)

And there`s 500+ unemployed Oracle professionals in the area.

Plus - Jobserve`s a very famous site full of monkey agents who never, never, never chase jobs up. ;-)))))))))) UK IT recruitment agents are such low quality monkeys that the best bet is almost always to ignore `em and go direct to the employer.

In these troubled times, the employer will take on a CONSULTANT with 10 years experience who`s just glad to get a job - any job - at all. Also, if you walk in with a gap in your CV, any employer nowadays will use that as a wedge to knock $10k minimum off your wages.

Plus (again) if you take a one year break from IT, no one but no one will put you in charge of £600 million worth of data. Simple reason is that "your skill set is not current". Actually, builds of Oracle are so similar that it makes stuff all difference, but the point is that the market here is utterly different from the US, and believe me, you hit 40 here in IT and the scrapheap calls. ;-)))))))))
Old May 18th 2004, 6:01 am
BE Enthusiast

ecando will become famous soon enoughecando will become famous soon enough

Well Dave, I wish you all the best in the US sellin plane parts .. it's a shame (understatement I know) that you skills aren't apprecieated ... nor required.

Old May 18th 2004, 9:06 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by daveuk1965
Yep, there`s three near home on Jobserve. ;-)

And there`s 500+ unemployed Oracle professionals in the area.

Plus - Jobserve`s a very famous site full of monkey agents who never, never, never chase jobs up. ;-)))))))))) UK IT recruitment agents are such low quality monkeys that the best bet is almost always to ignore `em and go direct to the employer.

In these troubled times, the employer will take on a CONSULTANT with 10 years experience who`s just glad to get a job - any job - at all. Also, if you walk in with a gap in your CV, any employer nowadays will use that as a wedge to knock $10k minimum off your wages.

Plus (again) if you take a one year break from IT, no one but no one will put you in charge of £600 million worth of data. Simple reason is that "your skill set is not current". Actually, builds of Oracle are so similar that it makes stuff all difference, but the point is that the market here is utterly different from the US, and believe me, you hit 40 here in IT and the scrapheap calls. ;-)))))))))
Sounds like careerone.com.au and Australia
Old May 19th 2004, 12:23 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by ecando
Well Dave, I wish you all the best in the US sellin plane parts .. it's a shame (understatement I know) that you skills aren't apprecieated ... nor required.

Thanks, Ecando. ;-)

Yep, unfortunately, I`m not being pessimistic but realistic. Wish it wasn`t the case, but - well, world occaisionally changes and you have to change with it. ;-))))

I`m on a doley training course here in the UK. Just whiling away the days until Florida comes along. Today I got an IT lecturer / harangue from a real smarmy little toad who`s got a job (looking after a half dozen computers !! ) who think light shines out of his posterior. There he was, going on and on about how expert he is and what he knows and does (virtually zero) - so I sit there, smiling away, looking out of the window -

"Didn`t you used to be in IT ? " he eventually says.....
"Yep, used to run IKEA`s European data network" says I. "Graduate, four languages, 20 years of IT experience, do anything, go anywhere - and here I am on the dole".

There ARE lucky examples - my brothers` in IT and weathered the recession due to the field he was in - but - even if you DO get something now, it`s all six month contracts at best. I can`t honestly recommend anyone to go into IT- there are new graduates coming out now to jobs which pay less than working in a shop.
Old May 21st 2004, 6:45 pm
Just Joined

DaveThomas is an unknown quantity at this point

there are new graduates coming out now to jobs which pay less than working in a shop.
so true it's sad.

i'm an asp/vb developer with skills in animation too (flash and maya)
3yrs ago with that skill set i could get upto £40k in the North West UK, you'll be lucky to find anything over £22k now.

that's a big drop on salary with no extra jobs to go with it. a sad state of affairs to be true, which has even seen me go back into my original trade of bricklaying and getting more money.

and them so called it employment agencies are nothing more than book fillers, over 60% of their jobs are usually filled when they post an advert, the whole point being to get you on the register, and sell out when they hit 100,000 members or so.. i wouldnt waste my time even looking there. my g/f worked for a large agency for 3 yrs and told me the truth of what goes in.

i'm looking at going to new zealand in the next few years, but if the possibilty of IT work is out the question over there, i may stay in the UK.
Old May 21st 2004, 6:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by DaveThomas
so true it's sad.

i'm an asp/vb developer with skills in animation too (flash and maya)
3yrs ago with that skill set i could get upto £40k in the North West UK, you'll be lucky to find anything over £22k now.

that's a big drop on salary with no extra jobs to go with it. a sad state of affairs to be true, which has even seen me go back into my original trade of bricklaying and getting more money.

and them so called it employment agencies are nothing more than book fillers, over 60% of their jobs are usually filled when they post an advert, the whole point being to get you on the register, and sell out when they hit 100,000 members or so.. i wouldnt waste my time even looking there. my g/f worked for a large agency for 3 yrs and told me the truth of what goes in.

i'm looking at going to new zealand in the next few years, but if the possibilty of IT work is out the question over there, i may stay in the UK.
Check out here and you'll be pleasantly surprised. I'm (hopefully) heading out to Oz with the family, and I do similar freelance work, as well as TEFL, and am very confident about finding work ...
Old May 22nd 2004, 7:52 pm
Forum Regular

Ecando, that`s just another jobs board full of monkey agents, I`m afraid. I wish you all the best of luck, and I hope your optimism isn`t misplaced........
Old May 23rd 2004, 10:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by daveuk1965
Ecando, that`s just another jobs board full of monkey agents, I`m afraid. I wish you all the best of luck, and I hope your optimism isn`t misplaced........
Well, several of those board monleys have sent me personal emails upon my "application" to some of the jobs ... I explained that, as yet, I couldn't apply, but informed them of my visa app process. All were very positive and didn't sound at all forced. Optimism reigns in our household:

Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute. ~Gil Stern
Old Feb 12th 2005, 11:52 pm
Just Joined

ocoste will become famous soon enough
Default Re: i.t jobs

Originally Posted by korky
Hi Guys,

I can only back up what Dave has said. Also, in the UK IT is a very ageist market and I reckon I'm the same vintage as Dave. Experience does not seem to count very much.

I have MCSE, ITIL and Prince2 and still looking for work.
p.s. I know the Jobserve site but try getting past the agencies.