Finding good contracts/jobs direct

Old Jul 26th 2010, 9:45 am
Just Joined

spidie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Finding good contracts/jobs direct

Just a good tip for anyone looking for IT jobs in Australia - checkout http://meetup.com. There's a stack of good meetups in most of the cities - I run several in Brisbane/Gold Coast - Brisbane is particularly hot at the moment on meetup. You'll make some good contacts and it's usually a good source for finding the best jobs and making some good contacts and friends.

I've hired people through meetups in the past and also found work using this method. Also looks good on your resume if you are community minded, it's certainly something I look for when hiring.

In particular look for barcamps - they are usually the best for widest group of people. I help run the Queensland one - http://meetup.com/barcampqld - there's more in Australia and all around the World in fact.

There's also a few other groups that aren't on meetup - google groups is a good source, and also have a look at the Silicon Beach Australia site at http://siliconbeachaustralia.org - there's a mailing list, calendar of events and a startups wiki with a good list of companies on there. If you are heading for Sydney they also have a regular meetup.

Not diminishing agencies here - they certainly have their place if you are new to the city and don't know anyone, but if you are more of an independent person who likes to find their own way, I'd definitely recommend this approach.

Steve
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 8:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

B1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud of
Default Re: Finding good contracts/jobs direct

Thanks for sharing this Steve! I will surely be interested when I'll set foot in Brisbane

Regards
B!K3R
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 8:40 pm
Just Joined

spidie is an unknown quantity at this point

No worries. Feel free to flick your resume to me when you arrive - email is steve at refactor dot com dot au
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 9:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

B1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by spidie View Post
No worries. Feel free to flick your resume to me when you arrive - email is steve at refactor dot com dot au
Surely will I have already registered to barcamp and checked your website.

Very interesting and really looking forward

Regards
Stefan
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 9:28 am
Prepare yourself Brisbane

Dave.McLeod is a jewel in the roughDave.McLeod is a jewel in the roughDave.McLeod is a jewel in the roughDave.McLeod is a jewel in the roughDave.McLeod is a jewel in the rough

Just found this section of the website...

Interesting thread, its good to hear from different sources and I'll be interested to get involved once I've landed in Brisbane.