British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Information Technology (https://britishexpats.com/forum/information-technology-78/)
-   -   Desktop/AS400 work in OZ (https://britishexpats.com/forum/information-technology-78/desktop-as400-work-oz-415634/)

welshman213 Dec 27th 2006 4:00 pm

Desktop/AS400 work in OZ

Think this might be a question for gedge, but please anyonw who might know please chip in.

I am thinking of coming over to OZ, and in preperation I have embraked on my MCSE as I dont have a degree,

The past few years I have gained experience in Desktop software/Hardware.
Server administration
Telephony adminstration
A couple of years AS400 technical support/administrarion.

All work has been either government or in the Financial markets (Banks)

Anyone know how I would fair in finding work?

Thanks

John

welshman213 Jan 2nd 2007 11:35 am

Re: Desktop/AS400 work in OZ

Does anyone have any experiences in theses areas?

Thanks

John

ck1 Mar 14th 2007 3:44 am

A friend of mine did a spell in Sydney a year or so ago (before returning to UK) and found work (via Jobserve). In UK he was primarily network support and dabbled alittle with AS400's and Unix - more operator level stuff...

As you can see on Jobserve there are a reasonable amount of AS400 jobs there - mainly A/P's and Techies. My mate tried to go for some AS400 techie jobs but his dabbling and operator level experience wasn't good enough to convince them to give him a job in that area. In the end he got a bog standard desktop support job. I think he said it paid equivalent to 18,000 GBP pounds. So it is possible to get work I think. If you are a proper hardcore techie in AS400 you stand a better chance for those jobs than if you dabbled abit with it and did operator level stuff (backups, restores, user ids, ptf fixes etc). Then again AS400 Operator jobs exist there too, though I haven't seen many on jobserve. Again your banking experience will be beneficial if you can demonstrate and talk in interviews about banking systems and how it all works - means nothing if you worked for banks and no nothing about how things work imo.

welshman213 Mar 14th 2007 8:26 am

Originally Posted by ck1 (Post 4516345)
A friend of mine did a spell in Sydney a year or so ago (before returning to UK) and found work (via Jobserve). In UK he was primarily network support and dabbled alittle with AS400's and Unix - more operator level stuff...

As you can see on Jobserve there are a reasonable amount of AS400 jobs there - mainly A/P's and Techies. My mate tried to go for some AS400 techie jobs but his dabbling and operator level experience wasn't good enough to convince them to give him a job in that area. In the end he got a bog standard desktop support job. I think he said it paid equivalent to 18,000 GBP pounds. So it is possible to get work I think. If you are a proper hardcore techie in AS400 you stand a better chance for those jobs than if you dabbled abit with it and did operator level stuff (backups, restores, user ids, ptf fixes etc). Then again AS400 Operator jobs exist there too, though I haven't seen many on jobserve. Again your banking experience will be beneficial if you can demonstrate and talk in interviews about banking systems and how it all works - means nothing if you worked for banks and no nothing about how things work imo.

Cheers CK1, food for thought indeed.

ck1 Mar 14th 2007 5:25 pm

"means nothing if you worked for banks and no nothing about how things work imo."

should have read:
"means nothing if you worked for banks and know nothing about how things work imo."

I would have better job prospects if I could spell!

gedge Apr 24th 2007 2:00 am

Originally Posted by welshman213 (Post 4230917)
Think this might be a question for gedge, but please anyonw who might know please chip in.

I am thinking of coming over to OZ, and in preperation I have embraked on my MCSE as I dont have a degree,

The past few years I have gained experience in Desktop software/Hardware.
Server administration
Telephony adminstration
A couple of years AS400 technical support/administrarion.

All work has been either government or in the Financial markets (Banks)

Anyone know how I would fair in finding work?

Thanks

John

hi John

apologies for such a long long delay, i never saw this thread till just now
i reckon that you will find those jobs in Melb or Sydney
they won't be easy because companies that do need an admin person like yourself only need one of, and they in my experience don't move that often
i'd be inclined to contact companies directly, those that you know have an iSeries.. i can pm you a few names here in Sydney, and i have a friend in the business in Mellie if that's where you're thinking (pm me if this would still be useful)

it'd be damned near impossible to have anything lined up before you come, so you'll be chancing it but then that's what i did twice over and it worked
good luck