British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Information Technology (https://britishexpats.com/forum/information-technology-78/)
-   -   Considering my options (https://britishexpats.com/forum/information-technology-78/considering-my-options-480180/)

michaelatkinson Sep 10th 2007 11:41 am

Considering my options

Hello, I am currently considering a relocation to oz, but I am unsure whether I can realistically apply for a skilled visa. I would appreciate it if anyone could tell me what sort of chance i have of applying and also whether I have much chance or gaining employment out there quickly.

I finished university in 2006 studying computer science bsc (perhaps an overely general degree to take in hindsight), I've had 2 jobs in IT since then, one for a few months doing general admin but mainly focusing on webprogramming using php.

I am currently working in a mid sized company in a more technical role, maintaining the hardware (servers/workstations/laptops/routers) maintaining the website, and teaching the users how to use the system, I also use active directory with windows 2003 server, and to a lesser extent, in-house UNIX programs. I am coming up on a year at this company now.

Owing to my young age and relatively short amount of time in actual post-education employment, do i realistically have a chance at getting a skilled visa?

(I have done 2 tests online although they seem to be rather generic, one said I would not be able to successfully apply for one, whilst the other said I did gain enough points to apply for one.)

gedge Sep 11th 2007 2:58 am

Re: Considering my options

Originally Posted by michaelatkinson (Post 5293871)
Hello, I am currently considering a relocation to oz, but I am unsure whether I can realistically apply for a skilled visa. I would appreciate it if anyone could tell me what sort of chance i have of applying and also whether I have much chance or gaining employment out there quickly.

I finished university in 2006 studying computer science bsc (perhaps an overely general degree to take in hindsight), I've had 2 jobs in IT since then, one for a few months doing general admin but mainly focusing on webprogramming using php.

I am currently working in a mid sized company in a more technical role, maintaining the hardware (servers/workstations/laptops/routers) maintaining the website, and teaching the users how to use the system, I also use active directory with windows 2003 server, and to a lesser extent, in-house UNIX programs. I am coming up on a year at this company now.

Owing to my young age and relatively short amount of time in actual post-education employment, do i realistically have a chance at getting a skilled visa?

(I have done 2 tests online although they seem to be rather generic, one said I would not be able to successfully apply for one, whilst the other said I did gain enough points to apply for one.)

have you considered a WHV instead?
i did that at your age with similar level of experience and found it easy to get work over here
from this point you'd get a feel for the country and be proving yourself in the Aus market
there is always the possibility that an employer would then consider sponsoring you

might be an easier route than the skilled migration you are suggesting, however there are no guarantees of course

it would be worth you asking this in the Australia/Immigration forum as it is more likley to be seen by those in the know on your chances of going the skilled route

Chippers Sep 11th 2007 10:49 pm

Re: Considering my options

You could consider doing a Masters in Australia. If you read the immigration website, it states that if you spend 2years doing a Masters degree in Australia full-time, you will get the same points as you'd do for work experience (or something to that effect). Always worth a look.