Computer Support in West Ireland

Old Jan 17th 2006, 3:54 am
BE Enthusiast

crazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant future
Default Re: Computer Support in West Ireland

Originally Posted by jgombos
I went to the link CrazyDaisy posted, which was showing what I thought was 390-490 Irish pounds/day.. but it looks like its actually euros (the C with a dash through it). My knowledge of money notation is lacking. I went to exchangerate.com to convert it from Irish pounds to USD... Dangerous - I almost had my bags packed.

I should have recognized the euro symbol; but I do find it irritating that statistics reporting dollar amounts often omit the type of currency altogether, making the numbers pretty meaningless. ie. If I use the international salary calculator at www.homefair.com, what currency does the tool expect me to enter, and what currency is it returning?

Also, what meaning does the dollar sign "$" have? Does it necessarily mean USD, or is it simply implying money of no particular currency?
You're right - the homefair site isn't too clear on how things are worked out. Are they comparing usd to usd or usd to euro? I'm not totally clear on that. I guess a good start would be to look at salaries - www.irishjobs.ie and search by job type and region and then look at price of accomodation using www.daft.ie. Salary coming in and rent/mortgage going out are probably your 2 main types of income and expenditure. Factor in things like tax too as that can change the income part of it but bear in mind that tax breaks are often available for rent payments etc. It's possible to find average cost of cars by looking through online car sale ads. and I even do sad things like look on online website for furniture and applicances so you can get idea for how much things generally cost when you build up household items once you've moved. This will give a starting point anyways and then there's the cost of the visa paperwork (unless you're a European national in which case this wouldn't apply) and then there's relocation costs like removals and flights so it all adds up but you can start to create a moving budget based on your research. Allow for a buffer too in case things don't go to plan and always have a plan B ready just in case. Good luck!

Daisy
Old Jan 17th 2006, 5:44 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crazydaisy
Absolutely - lower end is always good to budget for to start with, as it may take time to get established. That way if it turns out better than expected it's a nice surprise rather than the other way round!!
Anyway, good luck with your move.
Given that you started this thread in August are you any closer to sorting things out yet ??
Also, why the fascination with the west of ireland. With it being such a small country you're never really that far from anywhere and living in Dublin would give you a far far greater choice of jobs, though the cost of living there is totally out of hand.
Old Jan 18th 2006, 2:58 am
BE Enthusiast

crazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Anyway, good luck with your move.
Given that you started this thread in August are you any closer to sorting things out yet ??
Also, why the fascination with the west of ireland. With it being such a small country you're never really that far from anywhere and living in Dublin would give you a far far greater choice of jobs, though the cost of living there is totally out of hand.
Hi - the move is being driven by the hubby as he has family who originated from County Clare and some who still live there. Also some of the relatives who moved to England years ago are planning to retire to the West of Ireland so we'll be close by. I feel if we're midway between Galway and Limerick we have 2 areas available to look for work and also house prices seem to be cheaper closer to Galway. Cork would be a backup plan or maybe Wexford but I wouldn't be too happy with Dublin as it's too busy. I always found commuting to inner cities like Oxford and Cambridge in England bad enough - all that traffic, pollution did me in so the West is a good plan for me too!
Old Jan 18th 2006, 6:48 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jgombos
It seems anyone in IT will be above the cutoffs. Is the 42% applied only to revenue above the cutoff?
Yes, that's correct
Old Jan 18th 2006, 6:54 pm
Thinking about it

Originally Posted by crazydaisy
Hi - the move is being driven by the hubby as he has family who originated from County Clare and some who still live there. Also some of the relatives who moved to England years ago are planning to retire to the West of Ireland so we'll be close by. I feel if we're midway between Galway and Limerick we have 2 areas available to look for work and also house prices seem to be cheaper closer to Galway. Cork would be a backup plan or maybe Wexford but I wouldn't be too happy with Dublin as it's too busy. I always found commuting to inner cities like Oxford and Cambridge in England bad enough - all that traffic, pollution did me in so the West is a good plan for me too!
OK
Try donegal - there are some IT jobs available round letteerkenny i think though it may be a bit too north for you.
I used to live in cambridge and enjoyed it there, but I know what you mean about commuting though given that I now live in the US I've developed a fondness for british/irish public transport.
Anyway, back to the west - well contracting may not be the ideal solution there as there is less scope to jump from job to job like in big cities. In smaller areas like that I've always found it quite effective just to contact companies directly to see if they have any openings. The money may not be as good as in contracting, but like I said, I'm not sure if that's an option out there, and anyway if you were really interested in cash you'd hardly be considering moving to the west of ireland, now would you
Old Jan 19th 2006, 3:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Wink Re: Computer Support in West Ireland

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
OK
Try donegal - there are some IT jobs available round letteerkenny i think though it may be a bit too north for you.
I used to live in cambridge and enjoyed it there, but I know what you mean about commuting though given that I now live in the US I've developed a fondness for british/irish public transport.
Anyway, back to the west - well contracting may not be the ideal solution there as there is less scope to jump from job to job like in big cities. In smaller areas like that I've always found it quite effective just to contact companies directly to see if they have any openings. The money may not be as good as in contracting, but like I said, I'm not sure if that's an option out there, and anyway if you were really interested in cash you'd hardly be considering moving to the west of ireland, now would you
Yeah - I think contracting is only a backup plan. Hubby is in the film and music recording industry and is planning to use Ireland only as base for quick trips to Europe so he will have a larger market to work with. He is only contracting here in Canada as a temporary stop gap but I don't think long term he plans to stay in that field if you know what I mean!