COBOL jobs

Old May 8th 2007, 2:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

discobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud of
Default COBOL jobs

Are there any customers who are looking for COBOL system architects/designers/analyst programmers in perhaps Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne or Perth? I have a feed from SEEK but all the possibles turn out to require IBM CICS experience of which I have very little
Old Aug 17th 2007, 7:26 pm
Truro NS

wbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: COBOL jobs

Originally Posted by discobay
Are there any customers who are looking for COBOL system architects/designers/analyst programmers in perhaps Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne or Perth? I have a feed from SEEK but all the possibles turn out to require IBM CICS experience of which I have very little
hmm. don't blag it as such, but see if they buy the old "im rusty at this" angle.

cics pretty easy in most cases.
pseudocode:
--------
file division.
data division.
transfer work area.
procedure division:
init
while(ws88-running) do
cobol.
transfer work area -> cics -> terminal
remote actor
terminal -> cics -> transfer work area
more cobol...
end-while
end
------

ibm gives you "wizards" for painting the screens, protecting cells etc.
In my experience (which was a while ago, I admit), 95% of the work is getting the business logic to work. the actual screeny/cicsy bit was one of those bits of code you steal, change, and leave.

good luck!
sorry if the pseudocode is a bit rubbish - it's been 10 years and more.