Changing carrier to Network Admin

Old Jun 9th 2009, 10:55 am
Account Closed

greada is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Changing carrier to Network Admin

Hi to All
I would like to ask you guys for advice .
I am 33 years old currently employed in Oil & Gas sector in Australia .
Since a last year thinking about changing my carrier ,sick and tired going away from home all the time ....
As i always was interested in computers thought to become Network Administrator .
Any of you can give me any advice where to start ,what job market like ,and if i am not to old for that
Should i start with Uni ,Diploma or just study to pass all certifications by my self ?
I will be thankful for all your info
thanks a lot !!!
Old Jul 6th 2009, 7:24 am
Just Joined

arun2kb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Changing carrier to Network Admin

Glad to know that you are interested in IT field.

I recently got my PR. I am moving to sydney next month.

I am a network administrator in Microsoft.

When it comes to administration, choose your area...

You can go into systems (windows or linux OS) and maintain servers.

or you can go into routers and switech and work in an ISP

The touch part is a break through into ISP, so many people avoid network administration. The reason is you can not get pure network administration kind of job in normal day to day IT Companies. You need to be an alrounder.
In normal companies, you need to maintain servers as well as the network infrastructure. So I would suggest you to have a combined skills to first enter into IT.

You need to choose windows or linux and complete ccna for networking.
Also suggest you to complete certifications first....

contact me for further info or even we can have a casual talk on weekends and my email id is [email protected]
Old Feb 28th 2010, 8:08 pm
Just Joined

sammarsh1987 is an unknown quantity at this point

Your best bet is to get professional qualifications under your belt (even simple ones like CCENT, CCNA from Cisco or certain MS ones) these will give you enough to get your foot through the door at some companies, where you can learn the real birds and the bees OTJ
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 12:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

ukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really nice

Yes certfications and qualifications are only half of it - you'll need to get into a job to get the real experience. The books will give you a good grounding but dont teach how it really happens in the IT business.

Maybe start at the bottom (help desk or 1st line support) to get your foot in the door.
Old May 8th 2010, 2:51 pm
Just Joined

Nucmed is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok, folks, my question is in the same direction, but a bit more specific field. I am a radiographer. But want to be pacs admin. What do you think the road would be to get into it?