British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Information Technology (https://britishexpats.com/forum/information-technology-78/)
-   -   Australia IT Jobs (https://britishexpats.com/forum/information-technology-78/australia-jobs-433223/)

yeahfro Mar 8th 2007 3:09 pm

Australia IT Jobs

Having a bit of a crazy time in the UK, and looking to drop everything and come to Australia. I will be arriving at the beginning of May.

I have two years solid experience using C#, ASP.NET and SQL Server. Will I be able to find work?

I am budgeting for 1-2 months without any work. To get by I would consider working a bar job in the evenings. Sound good?

I am most interested in going to Melbourne, but open to Brisbane and Sydney as I know they are all cool. Anyone have any ideas which place has the most demand for my skills?

I think I can only qualify for a Working Holiday Visa and think this might be a restriction when finding work, although I would be cool with contracting.

Any feedback would be great and I can supply a CV upon request.

Kind regards,

Lee Wilson

pphillips Apr 3rd 2007 5:10 am

Re: Australia IT Jobs

Originally Posted by yeahfro (Post 4498067)
Having a bit of a crazy time in the UK, and looking to drop everything and come to Australia. I will be arriving at the beginning of May.

I have two years solid experience using C#, ASP.NET and SQL Server. Will I be able to find work?

I am budgeting for 1-2 months without any work. To get by I would consider working a bar job in the evenings. Sound good?

I am most interested in going to Melbourne, but open to Brisbane and Sydney as I know they are all cool. Anyone have any ideas which place has the most demand for my skills?

I think I can only qualify for a Working Holiday Visa and think this might be a restriction when finding work, although I would be cool with contracting.

Kind regards,

Lee Wilson

Hi, I think (and I might be wrong here) that on a Working holiday visa, would you not be able to work in I.T. For what I understand, a working holiday visa, you cannot do jobs that is going to progress your career. I think the idea of this visa is to allow you to have an extended holiday within OZ and have jobs like (fruit picker etc) to mantain your stay.

Apart from 2 yrs with C#, do you have other experience?

gedge Apr 3rd 2007 5:22 am

Originally Posted by pphillips (Post 4595164)
Hi, I think (and I might be wrong here) that on a Working holiday visa, would you not be able to work in I.T. For what I understand, a working holiday visa, you cannot do jobs that is going to progress your career. I think the idea of this visa is to allow you to have an extended holiday within OZ and have jobs like (fruit picker etc) to mantain your stay.

Apart from 2 yrs with C#, do you have other experience?

i don't believe that to be the case, the only limitation is the length of time that you can be employed by one employer see here

ptlabs Apr 3rd 2007 2:05 pm

Lee,

This may be obvious, but do you qualify for a skilled visa now?

If you do, it might be worthwhile to apply for one rather than to go for a WHV. Once you go for an extended holiday on a visa like the WHV, it'll be very difficult to meet the recent work experience criterion for a skilled visa later on, if that's your ultimate goal.

Peter

LukeS Apr 7th 2007 11:45 am

If you like what you see at ThoughtWorks then shoot me a PM and I can forward your CV. I started the interview process in London and finished it in Sydney. We're looking for devs in both Sydney and Melbourne :)

chmaiden May 24th 2007 10:18 am

Originally Posted by LukeS (Post 4611489)
If you like what you see at ThoughtWorks then shoot me a PM and I can forward your CV. I started the interview process in London and finished it in Sydney. We're looking for devs in both Sydney and Melbourne :)

hi mate - you looking for project managers?
cheers

Stephen Jones Jun 26th 2007 6:35 pm

Kind regards,

Lee Wilson

This may be useful if you arrive in time:

http://www.eocexpo.com.au/

crossles Jul 6th 2007 10:46 am

Re: C# .Net programmer : $75- $85 per hour negotiable, Sydney

Originally Posted by hr1 (Post 4939886)
Work in Sydney : Calling British & Irish Backpackers

Interested in working on the IT side of the Entertainment industry ?
Would you like to help develop the software used in the casting of talent for Star Wars, Matrix and a majority of Australian made movies?
Would you like to join a leading software house that plans to go global in the near future with it’s leading edge interactive product employing Adobe FLEX technology?

Due to business growth, there are currently 2 vacancies for C# . Net developer for 6 month contract with possibility of extension.
You need to have 2-3 years experience, a striking personality and good communication skills. You will work with other C# programmers, Web designers, Flash programmers and testers in our Sydney and Melbourne offices.

British & Irish backpackers on Working Holiday (417) Visas are encouraged to apply.

Preferred but not mandatory skills:
•Exposure to methodologies such as Waterfall or Agile
•C#, ASP.Net, SQL Server
•Visual studio
•Webservices
•Expose to Adobe FLEX technology

Location: Paddington–Edgecliff area in Sydney ,10 min walk from Kings Cross station....on the same train line as Bondi Junction station or 10mins walk from Oxford Street.

If interested , please send me a PM .

Keywords:
city C#, C++, .net environment, VB, visual basic, java, oracle, Sybase, Flash, Adobe, Macromedia, Sydney IT PC computer jobs

Im currently living in singapore, im a British expatriate that has been working within an IT support role for aproaching 2 years. I have been working on service improvement using Visual Basic and Office tools, and was wondering if you had anything which would be suitable.

hr1 Jul 6th 2007 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by crossles (Post 5016828)
Im currently living in singapore, im a British expatriate that has been working within an IT support role for aproaching 2 years. I have been working on service improvement using Visual Basic and Office tools, and was wondering if you had anything which would be suitable.

Not at this moment. Just curious, are you in Technical Support ( Network Admin/ PC support etc) or in Programming or a mixture? Also are you under 30 years of age? ( if you are, I believe you qualify for a Workig Holiday Visa, which allows you to work 6months at any one employer...regardless of job type. Also have you considered applying for Permanent Residence ( skilled Migrant category?) ...it gives you great employment freedom and makes it easier for any aussie employer to hire you....even if you dont intend to stay in Australia forever....takes 6-9 months to apply for PR...

crossles Jul 6th 2007 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by hr1 (Post 5017951)
Not at this moment. Just curious, are you in Technical Support ( Network Admin/ PC support etc) or in Programming or a mixture? Also are you under 30 years of age? ( if you are, I believe you qualify for a Workig Holiday Visa, which allows you to work 6months at any one employer...regardless of job type. Also have you considered applying for Permanent Residence ( skilled Migrant category?) ...it gives you great employment freedom and makes it easier for any aussie employer to hire you....even if you dont intend to stay in Australia forever....takes 6-9 months to apply for PR...

Officially technical support (Windows, Market Data, Reuters, Bloomberg, Office, etc) , but yea a mixture. As the department was taken in-house, where previously outsourced, the data systems had to be started from scratch for which im responsible for. Kinda like an ongoing secondment every half week.

yourzorro Jul 15th 2007 2:07 pm

Could try seek.com.au

Gnarrabup Sep 9th 2007 7:20 pm

just to get posted on (sorry didn't find any other ways to subscribe for posts to the thread)

gedge Sep 9th 2007 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by Gnarrabup (Post 5291955)
just to get posted on (sorry didn't find any other ways to subscribe for posts to the thread)

click "thread tools" in the blue bar at the top of thread and choose the subscribe option

Gnarrabup Sep 10th 2007 6:57 am

Originally Posted by gedge (Post 5292517)
click "thread tools" in the blue bar at the top of thread and choose the subscribe option

sorry for that, thx!

Stephen Jones Oct 11th 2007 5:19 pm

Kind regards,

Lee Wilson

Lee with these skills you may be able to apply for state or regional sponsorship if you are looking to migrate permanently and as for finding work that really should NOT be a problem.