British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Information Technology (https://britishexpats.com/forum/information-technology-78/)
-   -   AS400 Programming in AUSTRALIA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/information-technology-78/as400-programming-australia-301051/)

Stephen Jones May 5th 2005 5:48 pm

AS400 Programming in AUSTRALIA

Dear All,

I am a 42 year old UK-based AS400 RPG Programmer who wishes to emigrate to Australia.

I have made provisional checks on the Visa points, jobs available etc and find that with a family sponsor I can make the grade and that jobs in my field exist.

However, what I need to know is whether or not it is worth even starting proceedings off at my age or will I find that employers in Australia will just not want to know me? Can anyone give me advice on this matter.

I have visited Australia recently on a scouting mission and love the place...

Steve Jones

spottydog May 6th 2005 3:59 pm

Re: AS400 Programming in AUSTRALIA

You'll probably get a better response posing this is the Lifestyle Australia forum since I don't think this is a particularly active one.
Sorry, I can't help with your question

Stephen Jones May 6th 2005 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by spottydog
You'll probably get a better response posing this is the Lifestyle Australia forum since I don't think this is a particularly active one.
Sorry, I can't help with your question

Will do.

Thanks

Steve

gedge May 23rd 2005 2:38 am

Originally Posted by Stephen Jones
Will do.

Thanks

Steve

Did you get the answer you were looking for?
Anything I can add? I'm almost the youngest 400 pgmr I've come across in Sydney. It really helps if you've got some extra feathers to your bow. I can see the writing on the wall for the 400 where I work. It's ok for me as I've got a skill set to suit the changes.

Stephen Jones Jun 18th 2005 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by JulesandChris
Did you get the answer you were looking for?
Anything I can add? I'm almost the youngest 400 pgmr I've come across in Sydney. It really helps if you've got some extra feathers to your bow. I can see the writing on the wall for the 400 where I work. It's ok for me as I've got a skill set to suit the changes.

Hi Jules & Chris,

Have nearly made up my minds to come.

I ahve some analysis skills, have worked with ORACLE SQL and HTML and am starting a course in C++

Is this any use to me?

Steve Jones

gedge Jun 23rd 2005 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by Stephen Jones
Hi Jules & Chris,

Have nearly made up my minds to come.

I ahve some analysis skills, have worked with ORACLE SQL and HTML and am starting a course in C++

Is this any use to me?

Steve Jones

Hi Steve

All of those are good strings to your bow. I must say that I've dabbled with Oracle and SQL but haven't got a job on those merits alone, otherwise I'd be a DBA. The HTML and C++ could be good. I've found many 400 shops are having to integrate into other environments.
For instance where I'm at was primarily as400, but the global company has decided to roll out an Oracle based system. My job is to get the two to talk using a bit of VB, XML and whatever else comes to hand.
Fwiw I see the market picking up. I use jobnet.com.au for job alerts and am now seeing 2-3 jobs a week in Sydney solely on the 400 without any bells and whistles. This is compared to about 1 a fortnight, or less, a few months back.

Good luck with everything.

Chris.