Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Information Technology
Reload this Page >

Advice for ACS assessment with HND in computing

Advice for ACS assessment with HND in computing

Old Feb 7th 2008, 9:48 am
Just Joined

futureboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice for ACS assessment with HND in computing

Hi all...!

I'm brand new to britishexpats, and this is my first post - so please forgive me if my questions are obvious!

We've been mulling over the possibility of emigrating to Australia for a while now and have finally decided that it would be a good idea to at least apply for a visa. If we only worry about one thing at a time, perhaps it won't be too scary!

I've been working as a C/C++ (and now C#) software developer for the last 12 years and before that I did a 2 year HND course in 'Computer Studies'. The vast majority of this course was directly related to computers and software development, with perhaps a unit or so on mathematics, management decision making, etc.
My question is whether this experience and more specifically the course I completed is enough for me to apply for an ACS skills assessment under the GROUP B Qualifications Criteria. I believe this requires an equivalent to an Australian AQF Diploma/Advanced Diploma (etc) but I've no idea if my Higher National Diploma would be equivalent to this.

All the other postings I've read seem to involve people having to complete the ACS assessment under the RPL category. Hopefully I won't have to go that way , but it does seem that if you apply under group A or B then the documentation required is a lot less than for an RPL application. Does anyone know if this is actually the case?
As far as I can see I would just need to provide detailed employee references and course certificates (and other bits and pieces) - I wouldn't need to provide two 1500 word project reports...?

One final point - the good news for me is that C/C++/C# is currently on the MODL list. Would ACS automatically award me the MODL classification or would I specifically have to ask them to consider this?

Many thanks if anyone has some experience in this and can offer any advice!
Old Feb 19th 2008, 10:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

stellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nice
Default Re: Advice for ACS assessment with HND in computing

Hello

Yes good question about the Group B Acceptable ACS Certifications. What is the current list? I have National Diploma in IT and 12 years experience and really dont know if its ok for skilled application or do RPL. Its kind of difficult to understand the Aus framework - i.e diploma??? sounds like its fine but not sure. I also have various Cisco & Checkpoint certs.

Will keep an eye on this to see if any positive responses for yourself and me

Regarding your MODL.. the ACS will rate you in a particular category they feel is correct. In your case it looks pretty much cert you will get MODL - it will basically say C+