British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Indonesia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/indonesia-167/)
-   -   Where to stay in Bali? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/indonesia-167/where-stay-bali-673431/)

Sammy T Jun 22nd 2010 4:20 am

Where to stay in Bali?

Hi

I hope you don't mind me wandering over from the Oz forum, after living in Tasmania for 2 years and holidaying in Oz, we have decided to venture a bit further from our usual comfort zone and going to Singapore and Bali in Sept for our family holiday (2 children age 12 and 14)

We have a fairly good idea about the places we want to visit in Bali (Ubud, Tanah Lot, Uluwatu, etc) but really not sure on where to base ourselves.
Kuta, Tuban and Legian do not sound ideal for us, and Nusa Dua sounds too artificial, so toying with Seminyak and beyond, eg Canggu area, Sanur, or Jimbaran.

We would prefer to be able to walk out without always having to use a car/taxi, so ideally need some eating choices in walking distance, beach nearby would be nice but not essential. Have been looking at villas which look lovely and more private but not sure about the housekeeper/butler services, as it sounds like it might be a bit intrusive, not had anything other than usual maid service in a hotel room before!

Any other tips, eg about getting around the island, would be great too. Any info gratefully received.

Thanks, Sam :)

Kooky. Jun 22nd 2010 8:35 am

Re: Where to stay in Bali?

Hi Sammy, if you do a search for Bali under my username, you'll find some information.

The villa we stayed in was very private - the breakfast cook, cleaner, gardener and poolman all came in around the same time and then you were left to your own devices all day, unless you wanted them to cook you something later. :)

Sammy T Jun 22nd 2010 11:11 am

Originally Posted by Seasider (Post 8648153)
Hi Sammy, if you do a search for Bali under my username, you'll find some information.

The villa we stayed in was very private - the breakfast cook, cleaner, gardener and poolman all came in around the same time and then you were left to your own devices all day, unless you wanted them to cook you something later. :)

Thanks! I think I found the thread, lots of great information, thank you :)

Do you mean the Villa Kubu, looks lovely although might be over our budget.

Will check out some of your other links.

Sam

Kooky. Jun 22nd 2010 8:53 pm

Yes it's fabulous although as you say, not cheap.

David Mayes Jul 13th 2010 1:25 pm

I stayed in Kuta and also in Nusa Dua, I would not recommend either even though I enjoyed staying at both. When you drive around Bali you see so many cool little places to stay away from the crowds, and if you have some wheels then you still can get to anywhere you want.

Sammy T Jul 13th 2010 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by David Mayes (Post 8698476)
I stayed in Kuta and also in Nusa Dua, I would not recommend either even though I enjoyed staying at both. When you drive around Bali you see so many cool little places to stay away from the crowds, and if you have some wheels then you still can get to anywhere you want.

Hi and thanks!

We've got 5 nights booked in a villa 15 mins outside of Ubud which looks heavenly and gets really good reports on Tripadvisor, so looking forward to that.

Still looking for another 5 nights, where we can do some surfing and maybe a trip out to snorkel etc, but not keen on Kuta, Legian etc. Sanur sounds a bit more our thing but gets mixed reviews?

Looking forward to it :D