Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Indonesia
Reload this Page >

Shopping in Bali/Indonesia

Shopping in Bali/Indonesia

Old Dec 20th 2019, 10:36 am
Just Joined

tetter is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Shopping in Bali/Indonesia

Hi - I am in the UK and have family in Bali - I would like to buy gifts etc for them and have them delivered in Bali - but rather than ship from UK or US which will cost a fortune and take ages, I would like to buy sometihng already in that country and spend the money saved on more gifts.

Are there any recommended sites/places/local shops that will do this? They are within Denpasar.

Thanks

Last edited by tetter; Dec 20th 2019 at 10:38 am.
Old Jan 3rd 2020, 11:58 pm
Asian nomad

scrubbedexpat019 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Shopping in Bali/Indonesia

I live in Bali (but we have been here less than a year, so local knowledge is still a little sketchy) and have never heard of such a service.

'Gifts' as we know them in the West are in rather short supply in Bali. Tourist tat (= garbage) is everywhere and prices vary according to how well you can bargain. Most of the latter I wouldn't even look at, let alone buy. Buying online from overseas for local delivery could be quite an adventure.

In our time here we have found quality items (am thinking of household goods here, but also most electronics) to be of rather poor quality if produced in Indonesia. Partner bought a Samsung mobile phone last year, apparently manufactured here, and has had problems with it since. Warranty turned out to be nonexistent - when you walk out of the shop, it expires.

We visit Singapore every couple of months for new visas and find it better to buy there, or in Malaysia, and bring back to Bali with us.

If your rels/friends are Indonesian, best you give them a gift of money, they will know what to do with it!.
Old May 6th 2020, 5:00 am
Just Joined

Juden is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Shopping in Bali/Indonesia

Maybe you can order from local online marketplace like tokopedia/shopee/lazada. But the only problem is to wrap the gift before you send it. Or maybe you can ask the seller to wrap it for you, but i never try it actually.