Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Indonesia
Reload this Page >

Retirement in Indonesia for expats?

Retirement in Indonesia for expats?

Old Feb 7th 2012, 7:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Retirement in Indonesia for expats?

Very interesting all news on developments with regards to retirement in RI. I for one have gone off Malaysia somewhat as a retirememnt home, much as I adore the country.
RI would certainly be a consideration if they develop further their requirements. Corruption always put me off RI somewhat in the past.
Great and interesting country though.
Old Feb 7th 2012, 1:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Strider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud of

RI has always had the potential, but now it seems its starting to realise that potential.
However I wish they would put out those blasted fires in Sumatra, as I'm sure the health situation in Peninsular Malaysia is worse than sitting in a mini bus full of dedicated smokers.
Old Feb 8th 2012, 6:33 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Davita
This forum is not very active but I notice from the head count that over 300 have visited this thread since I last posted
Keep em coming Davita Forums (and subforums) do take a while to get going... and the more you post, the more it will come up on google, and the more people will take a look... and they might even contribute at some stage.
Old Feb 8th 2012, 7:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute

I think one of the reasons retirement in Indonesia is not as popular as, say, Malaysia, is because of the antiquated RI laws.

However, I do notice that slowly the RI Gov't is paying attention to certain lobby groups to change some of those laws.

One law that has been passed, but not yet implemented, is one that will permit foreign spouses to get permanent residence (Kitap) after 2 years of marriage. Currently, they only get temporary residence, which has to be renewed annually

It is also probable that they will be allowed to work. In addition, after 10 years of marriage, they will be granted permanent residency even if divorced or widowed.

The other disincentive is that freehold property cannot be owned by foreigners (WNA). Any Indonesian, contemplating marriage to a foreigner, should prepare a pre-nup so that property will be wholly owned by the Indonesia Citizen (WNI) and not automatically shared by the foreigner on divorce, or inherited on demise of the WNI. Currently, if the WNI dies the foreign spouse has to sell the property inside of 12 months...this is a ridiculous law that needs addressing.
Old Feb 14th 2012, 5:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute

Since I last wrote....more than 400 reviews recorded. Come on people...don't be shy...say something .....or ask?
Old Feb 15th 2012, 3:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Strider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud of

Hi Davita,

Can't remember if you are in Jakarta. Had a friend lived there many years (now MM2H Malaysia) and he said the sailing out from there was excellent. Seem to recall you are a power boat man...but water is water hey?
Old Feb 16th 2012, 10:18 am
Just Joined

Laurie and Sue is just really niceLaurie and Sue is just really niceLaurie and Sue is just really niceLaurie and Sue is just really niceLaurie and Sue is just really niceLaurie and Sue is just really niceLaurie and Sue is just really niceLaurie and Sue is just really nice

Hi Davita, Baked Bean suggested I pop over here. We have lived in Bali for over 12 years and are now looking to retire to Malaysia. Can't help much with the retirement visa queries as we have always been on a kitas/work permit as we have a business here.

I always use a company called Bali Mode in Sanur for all our visa and exit permit needs. I'm going to Penang next week to look at properties but am willing to help out in any way I can after I'm back and have unpacked my shopping...Sue
Old Feb 21st 2012, 6:00 am
BE Forum Addict

papilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys, i am an expat Brit living now in Melbourne and married to an Indonesian girl, our plan is to eventually end up living back in Jakarta so always interested to hear of the changes to visas and so on.

So just like to say a big thanks to all the posters for there contributions.
Old Feb 21st 2012, 8:02 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Hi papilon. Sounds like you need to get chatting to Davita on here

Do start some new threads on here, if you can think of any. The Indonesia forum is relatively new so needs all the help possible to build it up.

Last edited by bakedbean; Feb 21st 2012 at 8:04 am. Reason: added a bit
Old Feb 21st 2012, 3:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Welcome Laurie and Sue...I saw your post on the Malaysian BE site which I also peruse.
I'm glad you named Bali-mode...I was wanting to name this company but not sure of the protocol of advertising.
I highly recommend Bali-Mode...they were the agent that I referred above when I received my Retirement Visa.
I was skeptical about using an agent as there are many dodgy ones around but my in-law nephew is a fairly high ranking police officer in Bali and he told me to contact the owner of Bali-Mode as he knows him personally....I think that is a fairly good vetting.
They also have offices in Legian and Jakarta.

Sorry for a late response but we just got back from an interesting train trip around Java.
We had our driver take us to Bandung from our place in Jakarta and he returned. We then spent a couple of days shopping (of course) in the Bandung outlet stores. I just cannot believe the bargains for name-brand clothing.

At 7am we joined the (Argo Wilis) train to Yogyakarta. It was a 7 hour trip with outstanding scenery. The train is called executive class and cost Rp 245,000 (around US$27). It has aircraft style seats and is clean and comfortable. There were just a few stops of 5 mins each but 7 hours was just about the max for this old body...I was glad to get to the Melia hotel in Jogja and have a shower.

Yogyakarta is an interesting city of nearly 2 million, I believe, and the starting point for trips to Borobudur and Solo. It also has good shopping especially for Batik. We had been to Yogyakarta before and done all the touristy things like the Palace, silver stores, University etc. but our last visit was marred by bad weather so Borobudur was priority this trip...and the weather complied this time. Borobudur should be on everyone's Bucket List.

Welcome Papilon and any questions you have about Indonesia please shoot here...many others will contribute I'm sure.

Hi again Strider...yes I'll be in Jakarta/Bali till June then return to try and sell my boat in Vancouver. As we now have an annual visa to stay in Indonesia we will take advantage of that.

I'm not so sure that sailing around Java is great...I know some who go to the Thousand Islands between Java and Sumatra but its not like boating in the PNW between Washington State and British Columbia and to Alaska. Problem there is the Summer is too short!
Old Feb 22nd 2012, 3:16 am

My understanding of the BE rules (and Mods correct me if I am wrong), it's OK to recommend others, as long as you don't actually have a direct connection to that company or website or forum. That's the way I see it anyway.

Anyways, the Mods will always step in if any of us overstep the mark
Old Mar 25th 2012, 1:15 pm
Just Joined

mrcibubur is just really nicemrcibubur is just really nicemrcibubur is just really nicemrcibubur is just really nicemrcibubur is just really nicemrcibubur is just really nicemrcibubur is just really nicemrcibubur is just really nice

The rules are likely to get easier in terms of processing for those of us ex pats married to an Indonesian national but not necessarily, as things stand, for a potential retiree. A Kitas sponsored by an Indonesian spouse can be processed without need of a Visa Agent but a Retirement Visa needs an Agent.

There are caveats in the process for a Retirement Visa which make people think twice about applying for it rather than staying with a family sponsored (spouse or other family member) Kitas, upgraded to a ITAP after five years. It boils down to cost and practicalities, as for most things.

Indonesia is becoming more efficient in its administration of immigration related issues but it still falls a long way short of its neighbouring Asian countries. Do not forget Indonesia is in ASEAN and there are plans afoot for a single Visa style to be used for all ASEAN members much like the Schengen Visa in Europe. We shall see what develops.