Indonesia, here I am !!

Old Nov 28th 2014, 9:11 pm
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 1
guillaumeloppe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Indonesia, here I am !!

I there,
I'm not gonna lie the message below is a copy/paste of a previous tread posted in 2012 but really, my situation is a copy/paste of Will's situation in 2012 except I'm 28 instead of 26 (and I've got the same name !!). Seems Bali is the place to go ! Would love an update on the subject and if someone has some feedback on the small / self-entrepreneur business creation (contractor) as an foreigner up there. got a contract in January with a canadian company for a year project in Indonesia so I need to register ASAP. My plan is to flight there first week of January and figure out everything on site (place to live, visa and registration issues...) but I like to have as much bullets as I can in advance... Thank you !

I'm looking to get a base where I can spend about a year. I have a location independent job so I'm basically free to go anywhere.

My question, though, is where in Indonesia should I base myself?

I'm looking for somewhere with the following criteria:

1. Reasonably cheap
2. Good weather
3. High speed internet (for business)
4. Low pollution
5. Modern accommodation available (preferably serviced too)

Slightly less important criteria include:

1. Good nightlife and social scene
2. Close to beach
3. Not massively touristy
4. Good surfing nearby
5. Good gym facilities in area
6. Near to international airport.

Obviously not all of these criteria HAVE to be met, but the more the merrier

By way of background, I'm 28 (today !!), like to have fun and live life to the fullest.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

William
guillaumeloppe is offline  
Old Nov 29th 2014, 9:22 am
  #2  
...............
 
bakedbean's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Far North Queensland
Posts: 17,625
bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Indonesia, here I am !!

Hi William. Just to say Welcome to the forum and..... Happy Birthday

oh and have one of these too
bakedbean is offline  
Old Nov 30th 2014, 1:00 am
  #3  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,274
Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Indonesia, here I am !!

Happy birthday Will and welcome to the forum.

To most of your questions I would agree that Bali would fit most of those requirements.
You say you will work for a Canadian Company on a project. The first thing I'll advise is to make sure this work is legitimate in terms of Indonesian (RI) foreigner's work rules. This Company's HR dept in Indonesia will need to get you the ITAS (Kitas Visa) to stay in RI and a work permit (IMTA) to work in RI.
If you do not have those and you work outside your stated visa ...you face jail and deportation. The Bali gov't are cracking down on foreigners working illegally...viz.
Bali sees rise in illegal foreign workers | The Jakarta Post

I'm retired and live in both Bali and Jakarta and can help on specific information on Visas/lifestyle, if you ask specific questions.
Davita is offline  
Old Jan 14th 2015, 5:04 pm
  #4  
Just Joined
 
oneblokeinbali's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 14
oneblokeinbali has a reputation beyond reputeoneblokeinbali has a reputation beyond reputeoneblokeinbali has a reputation beyond reputeoneblokeinbali has a reputation beyond reputeoneblokeinbali has a reputation beyond reputeoneblokeinbali has a reputation beyond reputeoneblokeinbali has a reputation beyond reputeoneblokeinbali has a reputation beyond reputeoneblokeinbali has a reputation beyond reputeoneblokeinbali has a reputation beyond reputeoneblokeinbali has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Indonesia, here I am !!

1. Reasonably cheap - Sanur (we love it here)
2. Good weather (all over)
3. High speed internet (speak to a company called Gecko at Gecko.id)
4. Low pollution (Stay away from main roads)
5. Modern accommodation available (plenty around Sanur)

Slightly less important criteria include:

1. Good nightlife and social scene (Sanur is 20-30 minutes to Kuta/Seminyak)
2. Close to beach (Sanur beach is world renowned)
3. Not massively touristy (This is why we settled here, you can be in Bali proper or hit the bars and restaurants in minutes on the main Sanur strip)
4. Good surfing nearby (best place would be to bugger off up to Uluwatu)
5. Good gym facilities in area (cracking Gym down from the Man Shed in Sanur)
6. Near to international airport. (I've made it to Denpasar/Nygura Rai in 15 minutes before)



Hope that helps!
oneblokeinbali is offline  
Old Jan 15th 2015, 1:26 pm
  #5  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 542
teejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Indonesia, here I am !!

Originally Posted by oneblokeinbali
1. Reasonably cheap - Sanur (we love it here)
2. Good weather (all over)
3. High speed internet (speak to a company called Gecko at Gecko.id)
4. Low pollution (Stay away from main roads)
5. Modern accommodation available (plenty around Sanur)

Slightly less important criteria include:

1. Good nightlife and social scene (Sanur is 20-30 minutes to Kuta/Seminyak)
2. Close to beach (Sanur beach is world renowned)
3. Not massively touristy (This is why we settled here, you can be in Bali proper or hit the bars and restaurants in minutes on the main Sanur strip)
4. Good surfing nearby (best place would be to bugger off up to Uluwatu)
5. Good gym facilities in area (cracking Gym down from the Man Shed in Sanur)
6. Near to international airport. (I've made it to Denpasar/Nygura Rai in 15 minutes before)



Hope that helps!
Sanur sounds very nice from the information you have provided. I have also looked at a few internet sites and they too make it sound very appealing. As always, there is no substitute for a personal visit, but thank you for bringing Sanur to my attention.

One question I would like to ask, and it applies not just to Sanur but to Bali generally, is whether it is possible to survive without speaking Bahasa Indonesia. I speak only English, and in Malaysia that is not a problem. How do you think I would get on in Sanur/Bali with speaking only English?
teejaydee is offline  
Old Jan 15th 2015, 2:26 pm
  #6  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,274
Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Indonesia, here I am !!

Hi teejaydee...I think we already met on the Malaysia Forum as I sometimes post there.
Although I don't live in Sanur I concur with onebloke. It used to be called SNORE as generally the tourists were older and went to bed early...it still has that reputation, but I'm old, so I might sell where I live and move there.
Sanur comprises one street of about 5K and parallels the beach on one side, which can be accessed thru' numerous lanes of maybe 200 metres, and the bypass dual carriage-way, with good access to other parts of Bali

There are numerous restaurants/bars/boutiques/supermarket and a pavement...unlike most of Bali where motorbikes steal the pavements.
The beach is low-tide to the reef, so no surfing here, but all sorts of other boating activity...and snorkeling just over the reef. I also like the beach walkway as it's only for pedestrians and bicycles...oh! and the occasional roller-blader but, honestly, a septuagenarian struggling to keep balance on blades is not a pretty sight.

Indonesians are not so proficient in English as in Malaysia but Bali is reasonable...I speak little to no Indonesian, in fact, most of my local language is derived from what Malay I remember when I lived there.
The real difference in Bali is that it is predominately Bali Hindu. They have outstanding religious ceremonies that, at first, appeal to the foreigner, but can be annoying depending on one's level of patience...Balinese are extremely patient.
My wife, not Balinese, says they're just lazy...but she's racist..
Davita is offline  
Old Jan 15th 2015, 2:28 pm
  #7  
Just Joined
 
oneblokeinbali's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 14
oneblokeinbali has a reputation beyond reputeoneblokeinbali has a reputation beyond reputeoneblokeinbali has a reputation beyond reputeoneblokeinbali has a reputation beyond reputeoneblokeinbali has a reputation beyond reputeoneblokeinbali has a reputation beyond reputeoneblokeinbali has a reputation beyond reputeoneblokeinbali has a reputation beyond reputeoneblokeinbali has a reputation beyond reputeoneblokeinbali has a reputation beyond reputeoneblokeinbali has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Indonesia, here I am !!

You'll be fine, some of the back street shops speak little or no English, but a smile quickly translates to help!

Trick is to get yourself a Homestay (B&B) for a month or so while you look for a place, that way you'll find somewhere much better and at a better rate. Bali is one of those places that in just a few weeks, you'll of met people that can help, guide and support!

Good people, the Balinese are actually nicer than most of the Expats here, the rude people here generally have blue eyes!
oneblokeinbali is offline  
Old Jan 15th 2015, 2:37 pm
  #8  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 542
teejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Indonesia, here I am !!

Originally Posted by oneblokeinbali
You'll be fine, some of the back street shops speak little or no English, but a smile quickly translates to help!

Trick is to get yourself a Homestay (B&B) for a month or so while you look for a place, that way you'll find somewhere much better and at a better rate. Bali is one of those places that in just a few weeks, you'll of met people that can help, guide and support!

Good people, the Balinese are actually nicer than most of the Expats here, the rude people here generally have blue eyes!
Many thanks for the quick and helpful reply. I think I'll take your advice and dip my toe in the water by staying a month or so. During that time I'll be able to see how I like it, and if I could make it my permanent home.

Oh, and I'll steer clear of anyone with blue eyes .
teejaydee is offline  
Old Jan 15th 2015, 4:26 pm
  #9  
Just Joined
 
oneblokeinbali's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 14
oneblokeinbali has a reputation beyond reputeoneblokeinbali has a reputation beyond reputeoneblokeinbali has a reputation beyond reputeoneblokeinbali has a reputation beyond reputeoneblokeinbali has a reputation beyond reputeoneblokeinbali has a reputation beyond reputeoneblokeinbali has a reputation beyond reputeoneblokeinbali has a reputation beyond reputeoneblokeinbali has a reputation beyond reputeoneblokeinbali has a reputation beyond reputeoneblokeinbali has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Indonesia, here I am !!

Haha, you'll find a good bunch! If you need any help feel free to ask buddy. Just PM me
oneblokeinbali is offline  
Old Jan 16th 2015, 3:20 pm
  #10  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 542
teejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Indonesia, here I am !!

Originally Posted by Davita
Hi teejaydee...I think we already met on the Malaysia Forum as I sometimes post there.
Although I don't live in Sanur I concur with onebloke. It used to be called SNORE as generally the tourists were older and went to bed early...it still has that reputation, but I'm old, so I might sell where I live and move there.
Sanur comprises one street of about 5K and parallels the beach on one side, which can be accessed thru' numerous lanes of maybe 200 metres, and the bypass dual carriage-way, with good access to other parts of Bali

There are numerous restaurants/bars/boutiques/supermarket and a pavement...unlike most of Bali where motorbikes steal the pavements.
The beach is low-tide to the reef, so no surfing here, but all sorts of other boating activity...and snorkeling just over the reef. I also like the beach walkway as it's only for pedestrians and bicycles...oh! and the occasional roller-blader but, honestly, a septuagenarian struggling to keep balance on blades is not a pretty sight.

Indonesians are not so proficient in English as in Malaysia but Bali is reasonable...I speak little to no Indonesian, in fact, most of my local language is derived from what Malay I remember when I lived there.
The real difference in Bali is that it is predominately Bali Hindu. They have outstanding religious ceremonies that, at first, appeal to the foreigner, but can be annoying depending on one's level of patience...Balinese are extremely patient.
My wife, not Balinese, says they're just lazy...but she's racist..
Hello Davita, yes I am in Penang currently but still looking for Utopia I suppose. I know I'll never find it of course, but I keep on looking.

I was first attracted to Bali a few years ago, but when I started looking at the many internet sites, I formed the impression that there was a lot of drinking and rowdy behaviour. I am looking for a quieter existence, and that is why, when onebloke (good name, by the way) posted about Sanur, I thought maybe it would suit me.

Your comments also suggest it is somewhere that would be "up my street". It sounds quiet, but not too quiet. I read on one website that May or June were good months to visit, so I think I will do some more research and plan to visit at that time.

As far as the language is concerned, I find that if something in Bahasa Malaya is written down, often I can understand it because many of the words are similar to English. Hopefully the same is true of Bahasa Indonesia. Of course, if I were to move to Bali I should make the effort to speak the language to at least a basic level.
teejaydee is offline  
Old Jan 16th 2015, 4:35 pm
  #11  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,274
Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Indonesia, here I am !!

If you know how to speak Bahasa Malayu you will be very comfortable with Bahasa Indonesia as they are virtually the same language...excluding some slang words which are picked-up pretty quickly.
May, June, July are good times to visit as its dry and it hasn't become too hot. But it also gets into the busy season after July so airline/hotel prices are raised, and many more visitors arrive and traffic becomes a pain.
Sanur may be your best place to stay as Kuta/Legian may be too wild if many, mainly Australians, visit. It is only a 30 min drive to that action from Sanur and costs about Rp50-60,000 in a blue-bird taxi
Otherwise a stay in Sanur is enjoyable as it isn't far to get anywhere and it has access to the highway which ends up way into the North...one way. Or back into the tourist area the other way. Taxis are all over the place and not expensive.
Indonesia isn't good at giving visas for those who wish to stay...you get a Visa on arrival at the airport for US$35 for 30 days and it can be extended for another 30 days (same price) then leave.

Most visitors rent a scooter or motor cycle to get around and they are cheap by the week/month.
There are all types of accommodation depending on your budget. Most backpacker/surfing types rent a villa and share...others rent rooms called homestays, while nice villas with pools are available as well. There is an oversupply so finding something suitable out of the crazy Xmas and August season is bargainable.

Fire any questions you have about anything...someone here will have and answer.
Davita is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.