Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Indonesia
Reload this Page >

Bali Kite Festival-July 2015

Bali Kite Festival-July 2015

Old Jun 12th 2015, 12:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bali Kite Festival-July 2015

Most travellers, on hearing the word 'Bali', have an imagery of a tropical paradise....maybe they are swayed by advertising or an old movie. The reality is that many people, like me, actually have a life amongst the tourist onslaught of those dreaming of 'Bali Hai...I'm calling' and...'where's the beer'.
Having said the above may I now draw your attention to one of the features, not well advertised in tourist brochures because it is ethnic...of the Bali Kite Festival.
Kite flying in Balinese culture goes way beyond the tourist phenomenon. I read it has been the Bali mantra for a thousand years. Children grow up in Bali dreaming of kites and this is the start of the season for them to exploit their kite building and flying expertise.
I 'believe' that the kites are unique, so huge and bizarre, and cannot be found anywhere else on this planet.
The real festival competition is between July 13 to 15, but the build-up has already started and huge kites are filling the sky around me....in practice for the big event on a beach resort area of Bali called Sanur.
Anyone coming to Bali should have this spectacle in mind...it is a rare and precious event and, for those travellers with 'other than beer, tattoos and hair braiding' in mind...well worth a 'looksee' visit.
If anyone is interested I have more information to offer...just post your questions and I'll attempt to answer.... or find an answer.
Old Jun 12th 2015, 1:13 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bali Kite Festival-July 2015

Sounds good, Davita. Being kites, would that mean that this would be a windy time of the year?