Newbie to India

Old Mar 9th 2017, 9:29 pm
Just Joined

dph1960 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Newbie to India

Hi to all. I am thinking of visiting India for the first time in May 2017. Will fly into Mumbai and would like to meet up with British expats to get the do's and dont's. esp re train travel. Any help would be most welcome. Ta David
Old Mar 11th 2017, 4:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newbie to India

Originally Posted by dph1960
Hi to all. I am thinking of visiting India for the first time in May 2017. Will fly into Mumbai and would like to meet up with British expats to get the do's and dont's. esp re train travel. Any help would be most welcome. Ta David
Hello David, I know Mumbai fairly well, although home is elsewhere.
Where are you staying? Where do you want to go to by train? Locally or elsewhere?
It will be hot ++++, not the ideal month for a first visit.

You might find the Indiamike Forum more useful.

Mumbai (Bombay) - India Travel Forum | IndiaMike.com
Old Mar 11th 2017, 6:28 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

I can vouch for the IndiaMike forum, it's terrific! I'm having my first trip to Rajasthan in September/October, and feel very prepared now. Enjoy your trip and let us know how it went
Old Mar 14th 2017, 10:13 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

It will be hot as ****

Where are you planning to travel to by train, as internal flights are pretty cheap, unless you have a love for trains?
Old Mar 14th 2017, 1:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

India is awesome. Have been there several times and even drove a auto rickshaw (Tuk Tuk) from North to South a few years ago.

It's a pretty easy going place and the locals are generally very friendly well mannered folk.

I wouldn't worry too much if I were you. Just enjoy it!
Old Mar 23rd 2017, 2:21 pm
Just Joined

kayakingflats is an unknown quantity at this point

India is an EXTREMELY confusing country. You'll definitely want to meet up with the expats as soon as possible. And use UBER for travel. UBER is fixed prices whereas rickshaws and taxis are all cheating bastards who will try to steal as much money from you as they can
Old May 22nd 2017, 4:22 pm
Just Joined

sagarsarkar is an unknown quantity at this point

Best to get out of Mumbai quick as you can and head for the beaches of Goa - or Cochin in Kerala - these places are beautiful. Or head up north to the Himalayas...to Manali and Kullu. You can fly to Delhi and fly to Manali from Delhi. That's where the real beauty is.