Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > India
Reload this Page >

UK citizen (Former Indian citizen) applying for OCI but with one problem...

UK citizen (Former Indian citizen) applying for OCI but with one problem...

Old Sep 14th 2012, 4:43 pm
Forum Regular

manny1980 is just really nicemanny1980 is just really nicemanny1980 is just really nicemanny1980 is just really nicemanny1980 is just really nicemanny1980 is just really nicemanny1980 is just really nicemanny1980 is just really nice
Default UK citizen (Former Indian citizen) applying for OCI but with one problem...

Hello:

I was wondering if someone can provide feedback into the application for OCI card. My situation is as follows:

1. I was born in India to Indian parents and obtained my first and only Indian passport prior to moving to the UK.

2. A few years after living in the UK, I successfully became a UK citizen.

3. As a part of British citizenship, I was required to send my Indian passport. The UK Home Office returned me the passport by post...however my passport got lost in the mail. The evidence I have of this incident are:
  • I have corresponding letter from Home Office in regards to this issue I shared with them when I failed to receive my Indian passport.
  • I also have a police-report stating I filed a complain in my local Police station for having my Indian passport lost.

This all happened nearly 10-11 years ago and later I even got a 5 year Indian visa on my UK passport which has now expired a couple of years ago.

Now I am looking into applying for OCI and would REALLY appreciate if someone can provide information on what is the best procedure to start an application for this process.

Thank you so much!
Old Sep 14th 2012, 5:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK citizen (Former Indian citizen) applying for OCI but with one problem...

Originally Posted by manny1980
Hello:

I was wondering if someone can provide feedback into the application for OCI card. My situation is as follows:

1. I was born in India to Indian parents and obtained my first and only Indian passport prior to moving to the UK.

2. A few years after living in the UK, I successfully became a UK citizen.

3. As a part of British citizenship, I was required to send my Indian passport. The UK Home Office returned me the passport by post...however my passport got lost in the mail. The evidence I have of this incident are:
  • I have corresponding letter from Home Office in regards to this issue I shared with them when I failed to receive my Indian passport.
  • I also have a police-report stating I filed a complain in my local Police station for having my Indian passport lost.

This all happened nearly 10-11 years ago and later I even got a 5 year Indian visa on my UK passport which has now expired a couple of years ago.

Now I am looking into applying for OCI and would REALLY appreciate if someone can provide information on what is the best procedure to start an application for this process.

Thank you so much!
The information is here. It seems you will need a notarised affidavit concerning the loss of passport.
The process has apparently become easier in that previously an affidavit regarding Indian origin signed by 1st class magistrate in India was needed. (When my husband became British in 1970s, passports were not returned and he did not think to photocopy it; we had to get the said affidavit in India for me to get an X visa).

http://hcilondon.in/oci.php

School certificates, birth certificate anything else you have will be useful.
Old Sep 14th 2012, 5:57 pm
Yes a friend to all BEs

IndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK citizen (Former Indian citizen) applying for OCI but with one problem...

Hello Manny, losing your passport wont affect your OCI application, nor should there be a delay because of it. It would have helped of course, but there are other documents you can submit to 'prove' that you and/or your parent/s - grandparent/s were Indian citizens. Their passports or Birth certificates or your birth certificate or even your spouse's passport/birth cert or any such supporting document/s will be good enough AFAIK.

I suggest you visit your local Indian embassy and get more info before applying. But there's nothing to worry IMHO so relax. If you are eligible, you'll surely get it

Meanwhile look up this http://www.immihelp.com/nri/overseas...documents.html

Cheers
Old Sep 14th 2012, 6:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IndianFriend
Hello Manny, losing your passport wont affect your OCI application, nor should there be a delay because of it. It would have helped of course, but there are other documents you can submit to 'prove' that you and/or your parent/s - grandparent/s were Indian citizens. Their passports or Birth certificates or your birth certificate or even your spouse's passport/birth cert or any such supporting document/s will be good enough AFAIK.

I suggest you visit your local Indian embassy and get more info before applying. But there's nothing to worry IMHO so relax. If you are eligible, you'll surely get it

Cheers
It's not always quite so simple. As you know birth certificates particularly in the past were not always issued. Parents may have never left India so have no passports. One or other of these documents will be needed, or an affidavit.
However, allowing an affidavit to be obtained in UK itself is an advance.
Spouse documents will only be useful if you are applying as a spouse of a person of Indan origin. This would be another way of doing it, if spouse is an OCI or can apply for this.
Old Sep 14th 2012, 7:03 pm
Forum Regular

manny1980 is just really nicemanny1980 is just really nicemanny1980 is just really nicemanny1980 is just really nicemanny1980 is just really nicemanny1980 is just really nicemanny1980 is just really nicemanny1980 is just really nice

Bipat: Thank you for your response I have been looking into obtaining Notarized Affidavit from a local solicitor. I am preparing an affidavit where I am providing a time-line of when I got my only Indian passport, when I left India, became UK citizen and how my passport was lost in the mail with the supporting evidence of police receipt and communication with the Home Office in London for the loss. Is there any additional suggestion you can provide to ensure I am transparent in the affidavit?

In regards to what you mentioned to IndianFriend, fortunately I have a birth-certificate (I was born in the 1970s) but I noticed my parents name is there but not mine! My mother informed me back in those days, parents usually use to put the name later after birth hence didn't have my name...will this be an issue?
Old Sep 14th 2012, 7:05 pm
Forum Regular

Cheers
Indianfriend: Thanks my friend for your feedback I have been to local branch of Indian sonsulate...my experience was a little weird and unexpecting as the person working there don't seem to be too friendly and reluctant to openly share procedure of OCI (guess they have some ego battle going on ). I seem to have found more information online than in person.

However, your other point is helpful as my mother was a former Indian citizen (she also has a OCI card) but I am wondering how can I 'prove' that she is my parent? Will the birth-certificate with her name sufficient or will I require additional information?

Also, when filling and submitting the application form online, will I be required to send original documentations or photocopies can be submitted initially before sending original documents like passport, birth-certificate etc?
Old Sep 14th 2012, 7:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

[QUOTE=manny1980;10281283]Bipat: Thank you for your response I have been looking into obtaining Notarized Affidavit from a local solicitor. I am preparing an affidavit where I am providing a time-line of when I got my only Indian passport, when I left India, became UK citizen and how my passport was lost in the mail with the supporting evidence of police receipt and communication with the Home Office in London for the loss. Is there any additional suggestion you can provide to ensure I am transparent in the affidavit?

Sorry unable to help there, as I said above OH had to get his in home town in India, fortunately the local senior lawyer knew the family well, so he gave the evidence of origin.I would think what you have said is enough, if you have a photocopy or even the passport number would be additional help.
Old Sep 15th 2012, 5:39 am
Yes a friend to all BEs

IndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond repute

Indianfriend: Thanks my friend for your feedback I have been to local branch of Indian sonsulate...my experience was a little weird and unexpecting as the person working there don't seem to be too friendly and reluctant to openly share procedure of OCI (guess they have some ego battle going on ). I seem to have found more information online than in person.

However, your other point is helpful as my mother was a former Indian citizen (she also has a OCI card) but I am wondering how can I 'prove' that she is my parent? Will the birth-certificate with her name sufficient or will I require additional information?

Also, when filling and submitting the application form online, will I be required to send original documentations or photocopies can be submitted initially before sending original documents like passport, birth-certificate etc?
Indian Consulates grrrrrrrr you are not the first person who's had this experience. Several friends have said similar or worse things, unfortunately they are the people who will be accepting and processing the application.

An affidavit will be necessary because yes the names of children were not mentioned in those days. But I am sure that her birth certificate will suffice....as to the procedure, well its best you check with friends/relatives who have gone through the process. Bipat may be able to help there, they seem to have done it all.

Yes originals are required to be submitted, but maybe just for verification and then to be returned to you. You could carry them along when finally going with your application, all ready, and they'd probably check, verify and return. But again, do check with folks who have been through this process.

Hope all this info is helpful and you get your OCI card . Cheers
Old Sep 16th 2012, 3:19 pm
Forum Regular

Indian Consulates grrrrrrrr you are not the first person who's had this experience. Several friends have said similar or worse things, unfortunately they are the people who will be accepting and processing the application.

An affidavit will be necessary because yes the names of children were not mentioned in those days. But I am sure that her birth certificate will suffice....as to the procedure, well its best you check with friends/relatives who have gone through the process. Bipat may be able to help there, they seem to have done it all.

Yes originals are required to be submitted, but maybe just for verification and then to be returned to you. You could carry them along when finally going with your application, all ready, and they'd probably check, verify and return. But again, do check with folks who have been through this process.

Hope all this info is helpful and you get your OCI card . Cheers
Unfortunately I do not know any relative or friend that has gone through this process. The nearest friends I got this information from is apparently yourself and Bipat!

Thanks however for all the information you and Bipat provided. I am working on an affidavit and then need to find some solicitor nearby to do this for me. I am wondering if I can outsource my OCI application to solicitors in the UK who can do this all for me.

I am still 'trouble' you guys if I think of any other questions.

Your and Bipat help is really appreciated. Thanks again!!!
Old Sep 16th 2012, 5:04 pm
Yes a friend to all BEs

Unfortunately I do not know any relative or friend that has gone through this process. The nearest friends I got this information from is apparently yourself and Bipat!

Thanks however for all the information you and Bipat provided. I am working on an affidavit and then need to find some solicitor nearby to do this for me. I am wondering if I can outsource my OCI application to solicitors in the UK who can do this all for me.

I am still 'trouble' you guys if I think of any other questions.

Your and Bipat help is really appreciated. Thanks again!!!
No worries Manny, no trouble at all. Will share all info with you. Bipat has done all the paperwork and may be a better source of info.

About the outsourcing bit, IMHO its better you do it all personally. That's how the Consulate deals with application, as I understand. I'll try and get name/s of friend/s in the UK who have gone through this process and PM you.

Cheers
Old Sep 16th 2012, 5:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Actually OH didn't complete the process, not having a passport or birth certificate we just gave up and just used 5 year X entry visas. Less strict for the documents needed for these.

Then in 2010 after the Headley affair, rules became stricter, evidence of passport was needed for X visas and I was refused a 5 year. (OH's visa had not expired).
We then obtained the affidavit and I again got a 5 year in 2011. With different registration rules!!!! (but that is another story.)

As you can see the rules keep changing and the allowing of an affidavit obtained in UK makes it easier.
I think it is essential to apply in person, and also attend the Consulate rather than send the application by post particularly if the application is not absolutely straightforward.
Old Oct 16th 2012, 4:39 pm
Just Joined

satigill is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bipat
Actually OH didn't complete the process, not having a passport or birth certificate we just gave up and just used 5 year X entry visas. Less strict for the documents needed for these.

Then in 2010 after the Headley affair, rules became stricter, evidence of passport was needed for X visas and I was refused a 5 year. (OH's visa had not expired).
We then obtained the affidavit and I again got a 5 year in 2011. With different registration rules!!!! (but that is another story.)

As you can see the rules keep changing and the allowing of an affidavit obtained in UK makes it easier.
I think it is essential to apply in person, and also attend the Consulate rather than send the application by post particularly if the application is not absolutely straightforward.
Hi,

I am in the situation now where I need one of these affidavits made for my mother. She was from India, but registered as a British National in 1983.

Unfortunately she doesnt have any of her old Indian documents (passport, school certificates, birth certificate...nothing).

She came to India in 2008 on a 5 year entry visa, which was given no questions asked. Now according to these new rules, without those documents, she needs this affidavit, signed by a First Class Magistrate.

She is elderly and has had knee surgery. Running around in courts is going to be a problem for her. Anyway, it seems you got this affidavit made in UK?

Could you tell me where and how to do it? We all live in India now and need her to get this 5 year visa. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Satwinder Gill
Old Oct 17th 2012, 3:00 am
Just Joined

Can anyone help with this please?
Old Oct 17th 2012, 4:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by satigill
Hi,

I am in the situation now where I need one of these affidavits made for my mother. She was from India, but registered as a British National in 1983.

Unfortunately she doesnt have any of her old Indian documents (passport, school certificates, birth certificate...nothing).

She came to India in 2008 on a 5 year entry visa, which was given no questions asked. Now according to these new rules, without those documents, she needs this affidavit, signed by a First Class Magistrate.

She is elderly and has had knee surgery. Running around in courts is going to be a problem for her. Anyway, it seems you got this affidavit made in UK?

Could you tell me where and how to do it? We all live in India now and need her to get this 5 year visa. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Satwinder Gill
No, my OH got his affidavit in India. Since then the rules have changed (you must have realised that the rules keep changing).

The rules now state that for PIO card etc. an affidavit can be obtained in UK, I presume you need to find a UK solicitor who is also a notary and ask advice.

Regarding a 5 year visa; again the rules seem less strict than in 2010 (after the Headley affair). Your mother must have her naturalisation certificate this may be enough as she already has a 5 year visa, but an affidavit would make it more certain.
Old Oct 18th 2012, 4:21 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bipat
No, my OH got his affidavit in India. Since then the rules have changed (you must have realised that the rules keep changing).

The rules now state that for PIO card etc. an affidavit can be obtained in UK, I presume you need to find a UK solicitor who is also a notary and ask advice.

Regarding a 5 year visa; again the rules seem less strict than in 2010 (after the Headley affair). Your mother must have her naturalisation certificate this may be enough as she already has a 5 year visa, but an affidavit would make it more certain.
Was it difficult getting the affidavit made? I don't know where to start ! My only experience with courts in India was about 15 years ago and was TERRIBLE !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.