Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > India
Reload this Page >

Thinking Of Moving To Gungtok - Sikkim

Thinking Of Moving To Gungtok - Sikkim

Old Sep 17th 2012, 10:34 pm
Just Joined

Bangkok is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Thinking Of Moving To Gungtok - Sikkim

Looking to move to a quieter part of the world from UK - what appeals to me is the Hindu and Buddhist Culture and - same as my background - can anyone suggest any personal experiences?

Thank you
Old Sep 19th 2012, 2:12 am

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking Of Moving To Gungtok - Sikkim

Originally Posted by Bangkok
Looking to move to a quieter part of the world from UK - what appeals to me is the Hindu and Buddhist Culture and - same as my background - can anyone suggest any personal experiences?

Thank you
Hi Bangkok

Welcome to the India/Goa forums.
Although I haven't yet been to Gangtok or anywhere else in the small state of Sikkim, I have read up a little as it is on my 'list' of Indian places to go. It certainly looks like a beautiful and peaceful place nestled there near the Himalayas. I also understand that although Hinduism is prevalent there, the place also has a heavy element of Tibetan Buddism, with some rather interesting and beautiful temples and buildings.
I say definitely go there and see....and if you do so before me I want a full description please!!

However if it comes to moving there on a permanent basis there are some possible hurdles to overcome:

- If you are of Indian nationality or of Indian origin (ie descendant of Indian and can prove it/married to Indian national) you will have no problems and can go there to your hearts content

- If you are NOT of Indian origin then you will likely get tourist visas of either 3, 6 or 12 month duration...you can only remain in India for maximum of 180 days upon which you must leave and remain outside of India for 2 months.

- You could consider a business visa (but make sure you read up on the rules for this very carefully) - most B visas also insist you leave after 180 days but at least you can come back in straight away - but does mean you need to filter these bi annual transport costs into your budget.

- Or you could go for an employment visa by getting a job.

My advice would be to check the VFSGlobal website which will explain the requirements for all. Also have a read through the Visa thread on the Goa forum as that too is full of information which will be of help to you.

In the meantime all the best to you

Dread - x

Last edited by dreadsoc; Sep 19th 2012 at 2:14 am.
Old Sep 19th 2012, 2:18 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Sikkim has had times when it has been harder for foreigners to visit, permits needed, I am not sure of the current situation, but it might be worth considering that it might revert to permits at some point in the future. It is a bit out of the way. (I only went for a week as a tourist a while ago, so no real advice)
Old Sep 19th 2012, 2:44 am

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Sikkim has had times when it has been harder for foreigners to visit, permits needed, I am not sure of the current situation, but it might be worth considering that it might revert to permits at some point in the future. It is a bit out of the way. (I only went for a week as a tourist a while ago, so no real advice)
What permits are you referring to Kimilseung?
Visas are required for foreigners to go anywhere in India - are you talking about these or some other type of permit?

Dread - x
Old Sep 19th 2012, 2:56 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dreadsoc
What permits are you referring to Kimilseung?
Visas are required for foreigners to go anywhere in India - are you talking about these or some other type of permit?

Dread - x
Parts of Sikkim require a "Restricted Area Permit" (RAP) and I think 15 day maximum visit, in the past I think all of Sikkim required either a RAP or a (Protected Area Permit) PAP

Last edited by kimilseung; Sep 19th 2012 at 3:00 am.
Old Sep 19th 2012, 8:06 pm
Just Joined

I am looking to go may be end of this year to check out the place for myself and see how well i may be able to settle there.. otherwise its Chiang Mai in Thailand!
Old Sep 19th 2012, 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by Bangkok
I am looking to go may be end of this year to check out the place for myself and see how well i may be able to settle there.. otherwise its Chiang Mai in Thailand!
All the best to you Bangkok.....and please do come back and give us an overview of what it is like

Dread - x
Old Sep 23rd 2012, 6:16 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dreadsoc
All the best to you Bangkok.....and please do come back and give us an overview of what it is like

Dread - x
Just some street views of Gangtok - MG Road -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KwqYrAFUOA
Old Nov 12th 2012, 9:30 am
Just Joined

Hmmmm... now also going to keep Bali and Thailand in my list of countries to retire to.. ... anyone have long term living experiences in these two places? I have been to both these places many times but only as a tourist!
Any experience and advice shared here would be most welcome!