Saadat Hasan Manto.

Old Mar 11th 2016, 1:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Saadat Hasan Manto.

I thought I was fairly well-read but clearly there are huge gaps ! Listening to BBC Radio 4 today I heard of this writer from Bombay who lived in Lahore after partition. chronicler of the dreadful events that accompanied Independence of the two states born in blood from the Raj.

Has anyone read his books and short stories ? There is an entry on Wikipedia.
Old Mar 16th 2016, 5:41 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Saadat Hasan Manto.

So many good Asian writers around, both past and present. I haven't read any of his books nor had heard about him. Just read the Wiki entry.

I see the Wiki entry says he was tried for obscenity six times but never convicted. Presumably just "outspoken" for the time?

I'll keep a look out for books in the book sales next time I go.
Old Mar 16th 2016, 10:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

An example of how BBC Radio is still capable of enlightening us and spreading culture ! The spirit of Lord Reith lives on !
Old Mar 16th 2016, 12:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
An example of how BBC Radio is still capable of enlightening us and spreading culture ! The spirit of Lord Reith lives on !
BBC4 TV also Treasures of the Indus

BBC Four - Treasures of the Indus

Didn't watch it ourselves when it was shown (not in UK then) but others told us that it was very good. Also showing the legacy of Partition, with the origins of the Indus Valley culture of India, now in a separate country--Pakistan.
Old Mar 22nd 2016, 9:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Now in my twilight years I regret that in my youth I did not study Sanskrit and its living descendants, Hindi and Urdu. I believe that Sanskrit repays some serious study.
Old Mar 23rd 2016, 8:21 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

You are never too old to learn something new. Go for it
Old Mar 23rd 2016, 6:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
Now in my twilight years I regret that in my youth I did not study Sanskrit and its living descendants, Hindi and Urdu. I believe that Sanskrit repays some serious study.
I was going to say the same thing as bakedbean.
OH and siblings studied sanskrit at school, then forgot it (like latin), but then b-in-law , took it up on retirement and now in his 80s teaches it to other students.
Hindi is not easy to learn without someone to converse with, alphabet symbols much easier to write and sound than the south Indian languages though.
Old Mar 23rd 2016, 10:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

There was a time when any serious student of language would tackle Sanskrit. It was on offer in my time at Edinburgh in the 1960s but I had my mind on other things. the folly of youth.

I should seek out a Munshi and proceed !