Republic Day

Old Jan 27th 2019, 11:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Republic Day

Originally Posted by Expatrick
This -
Yes both the local main parties want the votes of the ultra strict Hindus! Actually shows the hypocrisy of the Congress party which claims to be uninterested in religion.
The next three months there will be protests/some violence/ long-g-g-g speeches all over India!

Old Jan 28th 2019, 2:54 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bipat
What have I ignored? As you can see both main political parties want to keep the Communists out!! Election only 3 months away.
(Indian people in general enjoy a 'good protest'!)

If you had been to Kerala over the years you would see how it has deteriorated as regard infrastructure, amenities etc. leading to change in Government to a coalition. Kerala has had very good education standards but those highly educated tend to move to other States, nurses, just one example.
kerela is ine of Indias richrst states, wuth the highest literacy , , the wealth of the people i s evident and way abovrpe that you can see in other parts of India as I observed at first hand,.
I think you should travel around India a bit more Bipat.
India is one of the world's the biggest exporter of graduates , not just Kerela , do you check anything before posting.
Why does India want the UK to relax its immigration rules.
Old Jan 28th 2019, 5:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EMR
kerela is ine of Indias richrst states, wuth the highest literacy , , the wealth of the people i s evident and way abovrpe that you can see in other parts of India as I observed at first hand,.
I think you should travel around India a bit more Bipat.
India is one of the world's the biggest exporter of graduates , not just Kerela , do you check anything before posting.
Why does India want the UK to relax its immigration rules.
Kerala (note spelling).. I stated above that it had "good education standards"-----if you can read.
I said people from Kerala travel to OTHER STATES to find employment.I was not referring to immigration to other countries.

You have spent 3 weeks as a tourist. I have spent decades travelling in more than half the 28 States. It is home!!!!

Certainly in Kerala where I have visited on several occasions over the years it is obvious there is deterioration in infrastructure as I pointed out above.
Also less tourism than previously ---there used to be charter flights from the UK, but stopped, those from Russia restarted.

What is it with you and India----three weeks -----and you claim to be an all-time expert.

Old Jan 28th 2019, 6:55 pm
Forum Regular

sun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond repute

So as usual you ignored both the extract & the report as a whole.

Pity we don't have any Indians on here to comment.
I'm of Indian origin. I'm Hindu. I'm from Kerala. I've actually been to the temple in question. Multiple times. I've met young and old women at that temple. I even helped carry one up on the palanquin on a particularly slippery stretch on one of those pilgrimages.

Here's what I have to say - you're simply quoting what little you know about the topic on the basis of a handful of googled articles. Shorn of all the political noise from various directions in an election year, the matter is far more nuanced and I would not even bother discussing it with anyone whose knowledge of it is far too simplistic and needs the explanation dumbed down so much that the nuances are entirely lost.

What's more, the entire segue is off topic for the thread.

As such, I support Bipat's argument - the poster has provided a generally cogent answer to the best of what can be done to explain a local cultural matter in a way an outsider can be answered as simply as possible.
Old Jan 28th 2019, 7:19 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sun_burn
I'm of Indian origin. I'm Hindu. I'm from Kerala. I've actually been to the temple in question. Multiple times. I've met young and old women at that temple. I even helped carry one up on the palanquin on a particularly slippery stretch on one of those pilgrimages.

Here's what I have to say - you're simply quoting what little you know about the topic on the basis of a handful of googled articles. Shorn of all the political noise from various directions in an election year, the matter is far more nuanced and I would not even bother discussing it with anyone whose knowledge of it is far too simplistic and needs the explanation dumbed down so much that the nuances are entirely lost.

What's more, the entire segue is off topic for the thread.

As such, I support Bipat's argument - the poster has provided a generally cogent answer to the best of what can be done to explain a local cultural matter in a way an outsider can be answered as simply as possible.
Thank you for your contribution, despite the arrogant tone, it is nevertheless appreciated - however the thoughts of a Indian resident would have been even more valuable - I see you have resident in the US for quite some years. No matter.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat142; Jan 28th 2019 at 7:33 pm.
Old Jan 28th 2019, 7:32 pm
Forum Regular

sun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond repute

It is not arrogant. It's a response in kind to a grossly simplified assertion made on the basis of one article.
Old Jan 28th 2019, 7:46 pm
Forum Regular

Oh my residence is a concern then. Do tell us about your long periods of ongoing residence in Kerala, your trips to Sabarimala and what you've learned about it, since that validates your original argument.

This is a thread about the Republic Day - celebrating the founding of one of the greatest democratic success in the modern world . A hand ful of recent posts amount to nothing more than petty, misinformed arguments about a topic far too complex to be easily explained, using articles so wildly off the mark that it's not even funny.

When told that the topic is complex and asked to keep to original topic, posters would rather cherry pick answers that suit them, and otherwise question the credibility of those who actually know about the matter, despite of course themselves being at near total strangers to the land and the topic itself.

Last edited by sun_burn; Jan 28th 2019 at 7:55 pm.
Old Jan 29th 2019, 7:38 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

What have I ignored? As you can see both main political parties want to keep the Communists out!! Election only 3 months away.
(Indian people in general enjoy a 'good protest'!)

If you had been to Kerala over the years you would see how it has deteriorated as regard infrastructure, amenities etc. leading to change in Government to a coalition. Kerala has had very good education standards but those highly educated tend to move to other States, nurses, just one example.
So in your mind it is mainly from kereka l that the educated Indian migrates from., sorry Bipat but you really.ly do not help yourself..
Old Jan 29th 2019, 7:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by EMR
So in your mind it is mainly from kereka l that the educated Indian migrates from., sorry Bipat but you really.ly do not help yourself..

EMR ----I really think you should get someone to read posts for you.

We were discussing Kerala (off topic---as above OP has pointed out). Where is "kereka"?

I said that educated people from Kerala often move to other Indian States --I repeat OTHER INDIAN STATES to get work. Nurses and teachers from Kerala have the reputation in INDIA for efficiency.

I did NOT say anything about migration anywhere else.

PS---- read the excellent post above, it could also apply to you!
Old Jan 29th 2019, 8:09 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Sunburn is quite right - we should just ignore India & forget all about it. I will.
Old Jan 29th 2019, 8:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sunburn is quite right - we should just ignore India & forget all about it. I will.
I don't think he said that!! It was a post pointing out that those who actually live/have lived/are from a country might have more accurate knowledge about it.

Indian politics/religion/State difference is very complex.

(I would not think of arguing with you about Hungary----I have never been there! I would actually like to learn about it!)

Old Jan 29th 2019, 8:37 am
EMR
Banned

EMR ----I really think you should get someone to read posts for you.

We were discussing Kerala (off topic---as above OP has pointed out). Where is "kereka"?

I said that educated people from Kerala often move to other Indian States --I repeat OTHER INDIAN STATES to get work. Nurses and teachers from Kerala have the reputation in INDIA for efficiency.

I did NOT say anything about migration anywhere else.

PS---- read the excellent post above, it could also apply to you!
Read your posts, . Kerela is not the only or the main state where the Induan skilled migrant industry exists.
It is a major factor in the Indian economy and access for migrants is high on the list of any Trade deal India wants to negotiate ..
You do not approve of the government and people in Kerela who we have heard refer to the party you support as Hindu fanatics as the temple events have proved.
Old Jan 29th 2019, 9:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by EMR
Read your posts, . Kerela is not the only or the main state where the Induan skilled migrant industry exists.
It is a major factor in the Indian economy and access for migrants is high on the list of any Trade deal India wants to negotiate ..
You do not approve of the government and people in Kerela who we have heard refer to the party you support as Hindu fanatics as the temple events have proved.
Help me someone!!!!!! How to explain to EMR we are discussing India (not migration to other world countries)!!!!

I KNOW that Kerala is not the only State where there are skilled people. You yourself agreed that their education system is reported as good.
I said that their nurses and teachers have a good reputation IN INDIA!!!!! I should know, I DO live there on and off!

As the above Keralan poster tried to inform you the situation regarding the temple is very complex -----General Election in the next three months---date not yet fixed.*

I pointed out to you that over the years Kerala has deteriorated in many ways------it has had a Communist government FACT----(since when did YOU support Communism?)

* Hope it is well over by month of May-----just booked a 4 day trip to Srinagar then. (That will start you on more of your prejudice!!!)

Old Jan 29th 2019, 9:42 am
EMR
Banned

Help me someone!!!!!! How to explain to EMR we are discussing India (not migration to other world countries)!!!!

I KNOW that Kerala is not the only State where there are skilled people. You yourself agreed that their education system is reported as good.
I said that their nurses and teachers have a good reputation IN INDIA!!!!! I should know, I DO live there on and off!

As the above Keralan poster tried to inform you the situation regarding the temple is very complex -----General Election in the next three months---date not yet fixed.*

I pointed out to you that over the years Kerala has deteriorated in many ways------it has had a Communist government FACT----(since when did YOU support Communism?)

* Hope it is well over by month of May-----just booked a 4 day trip to Srinagar then. (That will start you on more of your prejudice!!!)
Are you suggesting g that the decision of the supreme court should be over ruled by politicians I thought you were fanatical about the rule of law..

You know what I believe , Religion should have no place in politics, it allows the fanatics to gain power and influence as the events in Kerela and other parts of India prove..
Old Feb 2nd 2019, 8:38 pm
Forum Regular

madathil.krishnanunni is a name known to allmadathil.krishnanunni is a name known to allmadathil.krishnanunni is a name known to allmadathil.krishnanunni is a name known to allmadathil.krishnanunni is a name known to allmadathil.krishnanunni is a name known to allmadathil.krishnanunni is a name known to allmadathil.krishnanunni is a name known to allmadathil.krishnanunni is a name known to allmadathil.krishnanunni is a name known to allmadathil.krishnanunni is a name known to all

Originally Posted by sun_burn
Oh my residence is a concern then. Do tell us about your long periods of ongoing residence in Kerala, your trips to Sabarimala and what you've learned about it, since that validates your original argument.

This is a thread about the Republic Day - celebrating the founding of one of the greatest democratic success in the modern world . A hand ful of recent posts amount to nothing more than petty, misinformed arguments about a topic far too complex to be easily explained, using articles so wildly off the mark that it's not even funny.

When told that the topic is complex and asked to keep to original topic, posters would rather cherry pick answers that suit them, and otherwise question the credibility of those who actually know about the matter, despite of course themselves being at near total strangers to the land and the topic itself.
Yes very true. Malayali here and here’s what I have to say on the subject. Full disclosure: a conservative non-nationalist is how I’d describe myself.

The forced entry of women women into the Sabarimala shrine can best be described as an act of Marxist iconoclasm not wholly out of place with the kind of events which took place in China during Mao’s Cultural Revolution. This is an act of vandalism which is ultimately ignorant of the nuances of the traditions of the place. Hinduism as such as is the most gender-equal among religions, in line with much polytheistic cultures across the world. There is, as you would know, no common template “Hinduism” except for a few values which all cultural Indians share. Every shrine has their peculiarities which is reflective of the history of the place and the deities and the local legends. The deity in this shrine is a renunciate because of which it is the belief that he does not entertain women of child-bearing age lest it disturb his asceticism. To true practitioners, this whole episode is actually funny - if it is the deity that does not want to see them, then what’s the point breaking in to his house? No one is forcing the Marxists to even be Hindus; they are free to convert to anything - they’ve already converted to Marxism. Funny thing is, all I hear is crickets chirping loud when the issue confronting the Marxists is the actual subjugation of women under that hideous black curtain cloth called hijab/Niqab. No problems there, apparently. The break-in into Sabarimala is the Marxist equivalent of the high school bully picking on the weakest, most pliant boy and beating him up senseless to make an example to others. It is cowardice at its undignified worst. I do not support the violence which has folllwed the incident, but boy have they peeved a lot of ordinary folk off! As for the Marxists themselves, Kerala is the last state in India that has a major Marxist presence and Comrade Vijayan - the Maduro of India - has made sure that only the brainwashed nonce will vote for him at the hustings. After killing over 100m people in peacetime in the 20th century, the Marxists have lost the right to be take seriously at any level, and this childish vandalism is akin to the fat kid that suffers from ADD throwing a fit.

As for the Republic Day, I prefer this over the Independence Day - its a pain being reminded every year that Indians were once a subject people to a foreign power. Imagine the English being reminded every year, through a state function with full pageantry, of their slavish subservience to the Romans a thousand years ago. Or the French for that matter. While I am a fan of the parades, it does smack a bit of the Soviet-style military parades which looked like a state wishing to remind people of its own power, perhaps indicative of an inferiority complex. As an exercise in honoring our soldiers and the various arms of government, maybe there is merit in celebrating the Republic Day. Parades are not a new affair; kings of old used to summon these as an exercise in affirmation; as a citizen, I do feel a sense, seeing the hundreds of armed men and women in their fine regalia and weaponry, that the state is secure. This is something denied a lot of countries - the Indian state of peace is increasingly something looked on with envy (not in the West; but in much of the ROW). As time goes by, it would be great if the parades were held in other locations too other than just Delhi; it would be something that would enjoy genuine local support.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.