OCI advise please

Old Feb 28th 2013, 9:20 pm
Just Joined

Bubblebug is an unknown quantity at this point
Default OCI advise please

Good evening all
I am hoping someone will kindly assist me.
I am UK born and have lived here all my life. My parents were born in India, mum still has a valid indian passport and my dad has a British passport. He says that he sent his indian passport to the high commission in 1971 when he acquired British nationality. I have the original certificate to show this. This shows both my dads name and place of birth, also my grandads name is on it along with my mums.
Dad said he was not sent his indian passport back and he has no certificate to show that he no longer has this passport.
I have got both grandads and grandmas passports, both are sadly deceased but I have copies of their death certificates.
So the question is can I apply for Oci card solely from my mums indian passport, I went to Birmingham office today, wasted 5 hours to be told i need a surrender certificate for my father also.
Can I not just apply from one parent or can I apply from just my grandparents indian passsports? Or do I need full documentation for all 4 of them.
I can show the link to mum and dad from my original birth certificate and dad is linked to grandad on the nationalisation certificate so that links me to my grandad. Hope someone can help, as will be back there again at that office bright and early with my grandparents docs if I can apply through them as didn't have their passports with me today!

Please advise
Thanks in advance
Old Feb 28th 2013, 11:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OCI advise please

Originally Posted by Bubblebug
Good evening all
I am hoping someone will kindly assist me.
I am UK born and have lived here all my life. My parents were born in India, mum still has a valid indian passport and my dad has a British passport. He says that he sent his indian passport to the high commission in 1971 when he acquired British nationality. I have the original certificate to show this. This shows both my dads name and place of birth, also my grandads name is on it along with my mums.
Dad said he was not sent his indian passport back and he has no certificate to show that he no longer has this passport.
I have got both grandads and grandmas passports, both are sadly deceased but I have copies of their death certificates.
So the question is can I apply for Oci card solely from my mums indian passport, I went to Birmingham office today, wasted 5 hours to be told i need a surrender certificate for my father also.
Can I not just apply from one parent or can I apply from just my grandparents indian passsports? Or do I need full documentation for all 4 of them.
I can show the link to mum and dad from my original birth certificate and dad is linked to grandad on the nationalisation certificate so that links me to my grandad. Hope someone can help, as will be back there again at that office bright and early with my grandparents docs if I can apply through them as didn't have their passports with me today!

Please advise
Thanks in advance
Hello, just a quick answer for tonight. What do you mean by "Birmingham office"? Where did you go? as first part of application is usually on-line.
You can apply using any of your individual parents or grandparents documents, but if using your father's he will need to sign an affidavit to explain what happened to his passport. This is not unusual as passports at that time were not handed back on naturalisation. The acceptance of an affidavit signed in UK (only recently allowed) solves this problem.
Old Mar 1st 2013, 5:39 am
Just Joined

Smile Re: OCI advise please

Hi thank you for your reply. I filled part A online and part B online. I went to Birmingham Augusta street - I attempted to apply using just my mothers current Indian passport but was told I need both parents - I am going back today with both grandparents Indian passports and death certificates - i was under the impression I could use my grandparents passports but the lady at the counter said no. I spoke to a solicitor yesterday and she advised I can use just my mothers details and both parents are not required or can use grandparents - so I am off there again now today! Wish me luck guys
Old Mar 1st 2013, 6:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Hi thank you for your reply. I filled part A online and part B online. I went to Birmingham Augusta street - I attempted to apply using just my mothers current Indian passport but was told I need both parents - I am going back today with both grandparents Indian passports and death certificates - i was under the impression I could use my grandparents passports but the lady at the counter said no. I spoke to a solicitor yesterday and she advised I can use just my mothers details and both parents are not required or can use grandparents - so I am off there again now today! Wish me luck guys
It should not be "luck" the lady at the counter gave you wrong information. Your solicitor was correct.
Refer them to their own web-site!!!

http://hcilondon.in/oci.php

PS Our solicitor told us to use London rather than Birmingham, I realise from your story that she was right.

Last edited by Bipat; Mar 1st 2013 at 6:47 am. Reason: Addition
Old Mar 1st 2013, 8:55 am
Just Joined

Just been told at the office that the law changed Dec 2012 and you need an Indian passport or surrender certificate for both parents - the website apparently is in the process of being updated. Only can use grandparents details if mum and dad were not Indian. You have to go by your parents first and grandparents can only be used if as I said parents are not Indian. She has advised to just apply for Pio card instead.
My father has to go through the motions and still obtain a surrender certificate using the nationalisation certificate and via affidavit.
Old Mar 1st 2013, 9:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Just been told at the office that the law changed Dec 2012 and you need an Indian passport or surrender certificate for both parents - the website apparently is in the process of being updated. Only can use grandparents details if mum and dad were not Indian. You have to go by your parents first and grandparents can only be used if as I said parents are not Indian. She has advised to just apply for Pio card instead.
My father has to go through the motions and still obtain a surrender certificate using the nationalisation certificate and via affidavit.
Difficult to understand this, can't find any reference to a law change. One of my children is in the process of getting OCI now, only one parent of Indian origin and no apparent problems.
I will PM you the name of our solicitor, I would hope they will give you advice
by phone.
Old Mar 1st 2013, 10:22 am
Just Joined

Yes I can't see the law change either, apparently as both my parents are of Indian origin that's the issue with seeing my fathers surrender certificate. If one parent is Indian then you can apply on that basis. The problem I encountered is both of mine were Indian. If neither of them were Indian then I could apply on grandparents basis.
Never mind- was not meant to be - applied for PIO card now