Moving to Delhi

Old Jan 27th 2013, 2:32 pm
Just Joined

Kmdawney is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Delhi

Hi all,

I have been successful in securing a position in the Delhi office with an international company and am just in the final stages of confirming my relocation package. I have a couple of questions which someone maybe able to help me with please:

The company will organise my work permit/visa but they are asking me to cover the costs? Is this normal practice? How long does it take to secure a visa?

I have requested a good health insurance policy but again they are willing to help me find one but I must also cover the cost of this? Can anyone tell me whether they have had to arrange their own health insurance and if so what company can you recommend and how much per month?

They will cover my first three months rent and then after that I must pay it. I am not looking for anything fancy, it's just me and a one bed apart/condo in a secure location would be fine....any ideas on price range? It would need to be furnished.

Any other advise that you may have would be greatly appreciated. I look forward to hearing from you and maybe meeting in the near future.

Thanks loads
Old Jan 28th 2013, 4:05 am

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Delhi

Hi there

Sorry but not being that familiar with the ins and outs of Delhi I can;t answer your questions, but I am sure some folks will be along to help with this before long.
Just wanted to say welcome to BE and congrats on your relocation

Dread - x
Old Feb 1st 2013, 1:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Paracletus will become famous soon enoughParacletus will become famous soon enough

I can't give you much specific info on Delhi either, but just wanted to comment on the package.

Normally, from my own experience, initial costs like visas, etc I have covered myself but been reimbursed at a later date. They should cover all the costs within reason for you to transfer to Delhi, and not leave you out of pocket.

As for health insurance and rent, there are two types of deals really. The all in and a separated package/salary. I'd make sure the all in covers everything and then some. It's not unusual per say, and it gives scope to save a little extra of course by not having a set contribution or budget they pay for as you choose to use it. Make sure you get decent coverage on your insurance, it's not cheap either. I know some countries employers are obliged to provide this for employees regardless, double check that.

And finally, tickets home? I'd be asking for at least 1 return trip home a year.
Old Feb 3rd 2013, 10:45 am
Just Joined

Kmdawney is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the welcome and the above advise.

They have now backed out of paying for the first three months accommodation and also cannot confirm whether they will cover the cost of insurance which worries me considerably. I have looked into insurance cover and you're right......it's not cheap!!

I have gone back into negotiation with them and see what they come up with.

I did manage to secure one flight home a year!!

Thanks for your advice - it's really useful to know.