Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > India
Reload this Page >

Living in US, travelling to India, possible to apply for a visa in the UK?

Living in US, travelling to India, possible to apply for a visa in the UK?

Old Jun 25th 2014, 2:54 am
Just Joined

Jakov is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Living in US, travelling to India, possible to apply for a visa in the UK?

Hi All,

A bit of an obscure topic but I'm wondering if anyone can help me figure out if it's possible to apply for a business visa to travel to India using the UK Indian consular services while living in the US?

I am currently resident in California on an "intra-company transfer" visa, and need to travel to India for business. I will make this trip via a 2 week visit back home to the UK. Time is a bit tight before I fly to the UK, so it would be great for me if I can book a walk-in appointment at the UK Indian consulate for shortly after I land. Assuming there are no complications this should allow enough time to turn-around the visa in the UK before I need to fly off again directly to India.

I understand for a business visa to India I need to be invited by the company I will be visiting. This should be no problem. I also believe I need to submit a letter from my own company explaining why I am visiting. Again, this isn't a problem although I'm not sure whether I should submit from the US (Inc.) or UK side (Ltd.) of the company I work for (the company is split between the two countries).

Anyone have any experience/thoughts on this?

Thanks,
Jakov
Old Jun 25th 2014, 7:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living in US, travelling to India, possible to apply for a visa in the UK?

Originally Posted by Jakov
Hi All,

A bit of an obscure topic but I'm wondering if anyone can help me figure out if it's possible to apply for a business visa to travel to India using the UK Indian consular services while living in the US?

I am currently resident in California on an "intra-company transfer" visa, and need to travel to India for business. I will make this trip via a 2 week visit back home to the UK. Time is a bit tight before I fly to the UK, so it would be great for me if I can book a walk-in appointment at the UK Indian consulate for shortly after I land. Assuming there are no complications this should allow enough time to turn-around the visa in the UK before I need to fly off again directly to India.

I understand for a business visa to India I need to be invited by the company I will be visiting. This should be no problem. I also believe I need to submit a letter from my own company explaining why I am visiting. Again, this isn't a problem although I'm not sure whether I should submit from the US (Inc.) or UK side (Ltd.) of the company I work for (the company is split between the two countries).

Anyone have any experience/thoughts on this?

Thanks,
Jakov
Hello Jakov, visa applications in UK are dealt with by VFS global. Apparently urgent business visa is not available for non UK residents.

https://www.hcilondon.in/urgent_business_visa.html

2 weeks would seem a tight time schedule.

Not applied for business visa personally, if no replies on this forum,
'IndiaMike/Visa' Site will be helpful.

Last edited by Bipat; Jun 25th 2014 at 7:58 am.