Reload this Page >

Information on Home/EU Fees

Information on Home/EU Fees

Old Jul 16th 2013, 6:26 pm
Just Joined

britishindian is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Information on Home/EU Fees

Hello All,

This may be bit early to ask, but wanted to know how it works.

Me and my family hold British citizenship(s) and Indian OCI (Permanent residence of India). I have recently got a job opportunity from my UK company who are setting up their offices in Bangalore and Hyderabad, India. I have been offered to work at Hyderabad as this is my home town.

My question is, I have a 12 year old son and 5 year old daughter and obviously I would join them in local schools in Hyderabad after I move there. However, if my son wants to move to UK for graduation when he completes his Intermediate course (10+2) would I be paying Home/EU fees or international student fees? There is not much information in Student Loan Company's website. Want to know if anybody are there in this kind of situation.

Also, I own a home in London which is mortgaged with a bank. Want to rent it out when I move to India.

Any information will be much appreciated.

Many thanks & kind regards...
Kumar
Old Jul 17th 2013, 12:14 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Information on Home/EU Fees

Hi Kumar,

I can't help with your query as I am in the US, but I just wanted to pop by and welcome you to our community.

I'm sure some of our other members will be along soon and will be able to help you out with your question.
Old Jul 17th 2013, 2:25 pm
Just Joined

britishindian is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Sue
Old Jul 17th 2013, 2:38 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Kumar, just to say Hello and welcome to the forum . I know of some British Indians here in Malaysia with OCI and it seems to be quite advantageous but unfortunately I don't know too much about it. Hopefully some residents in India will be along to help you out with your questions.
Old Jul 20th 2013, 12:49 pm
Just Joined

almukher is just really nicealmukher is just really nicealmukher is just really nicealmukher is just really nicealmukher is just really nicealmukher is just really nicealmukher is just really nicealmukher is just really nice

Hi Kumar,

As per current rules, you should have to pay the Home/EU fees. However, the rules may change in 5-6 years' time.

I am a UK citizen and OCI myself. I have been living in India these last 20 years. I have got an offer to pursue my M.Sc in Finland, which is an EU country. Although the program carries tuition fees, for me it is free as I am a UK national, which is a member of the EU.

If I am considered as an EU national even after so many years of living outside it, I guess the same should apply to your son as well, who has lived there for long. Around 3 years back, I had been interested in pursuing my Master's in the UK as well. I had contacted the British Council in Kolkata (my hometown) regarding this. The lady there told me that I would be considered as a Home student.

Hope I could answer your query..
Old Jul 20th 2013, 3:45 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britishindian
Thanks Sue
Actually I've just re-read your post and see you are referring to UK Higher edcation. In which case your son would need to have been resident in the UK/EU for 3 years prior to enrolling in university in order to qualify as a "home" student. However there isn't a great difference between Home and International tuition fees these days depending on which university your son attended.

The difficulty could be in funding his studies if your son would be looking to get a government back student loan, as he would need to be considered a home student in order to qualify for a student loan. In other words he would need to have been ordinarily resident in the UK for 3 years immediately prior to enrolling in university (however the reason for the ordinary residence has to be other than for education).

Something to bear in mind though is if you can show that the time overseas was temporary then he may qualify. You can read about that here and more details about what is considered "Ordinarily Resident" here

This subject comes up frequently in our Moving Back to the UK forum so do a search in that section and you should pull up a few threads with more info.